LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

I wanted a 2011+ V Coupe so bad...instead...biting the bullet...

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 08:23 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I wanted a 2011+ V Coupe so bad...instead...biting the bullet...

...and realizing a 750 dollar a month payment ain't the smartest thing in the world right now.

The GXP has been a great car for us. 13.7's before the lew tune and shift kit. all i've done is tires. It needs a harness for a front wheel speed sensor. big deal. I couldn't ask for a better ride...and the woman likes it...which says a LOT cause she doesn't take to cars like i do.

So i've lined up a HELL of a deal on the following from Aaron:

COMPLETE LS1 intake swap
SLP 1.8 Rockers
Springs
Comp OR 7.4 Pushrods

I also emailed Dave @ TEP regarding the transmission and will be going with the following:

Stage 1 Complete rebuild
Reman TC
Stock Ratio

The swap & rockers? 450 shipped
The rebuild & TC? just under a grand after 10% off

The car should be highly enjoyable and sans any catastrophic issues...practically bulletproof and ready for another 100k miles.

That's where i stop though...because on the inside i plan to add the corvette/factory NAV for turn by turn thru HUD and MP3 functionality. I already have an aftermarket iPod/Aux adapter which works awesome.

I just can't see letting go of the thing when the only complaint is the transmission...I do owe about a grand more than its worth but my truck ain't gonna last forever and i'll need a beater when i DO end up getting the V...I should have this paid off by the middle of the summer at the latest so it puts me in a very good position to make a move on a coupe this time next year.

Let the fun begin.
Old 11-29-2014, 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fubar569
...and realizing a 750 dollar a month payment ain't the smartest thing in the world right now.

The GXP has been a great car for us. 13.7's before the lew tune and shift kit. all i've done is tires. It needs a harness for a front wheel speed sensor. big deal. I couldn't ask for a better ride...and the woman likes it...which says a LOT cause she doesn't take to cars like i do.

So i've lined up a HELL of a deal on the following from Aaron:

COMPLETE LS1 intake swap
SLP 1.8 Rockers
Springs
Comp OR 7.4 Pushrods

I also emailed Dave @ TEP regarding the transmission and will be going with the following:

Stage 1 Complete rebuild
Reman TC
Stock Ratio

The swap & rockers? 450 shipped
The rebuild & TC? just under a grand after 10% off

The car should be highly enjoyable and sans any catastrophic issues...practically bulletproof and ready for another 100k miles.

That's where i stop though...because on the inside i plan to add the corvette/factory NAV for turn by turn thru HUD and MP3 functionality. I already have an aftermarket iPod/Aux adapter which works awesome.

I just can't see letting go of the thing when the only complaint is the transmission...I do owe about a grand more than its worth but my truck ain't gonna last forever and i'll need a beater when i DO end up getting the V...I should have this paid off by the middle of the summer at the latest so it puts me in a very good position to make a move on a coupe this time next year.

Let the fun begin.

Thanks kind of what i'm doing , I'm shooting for a HellCat or a CTS-V. Monte will be my beater once i get one of those, im fortunate enough that i have 4 other cars to drive instead of monte as a beater , monte will be like my 2nd woman and the CTS/hellcat will be my first , and my wife will be the 3rd , don't tell her i said that tho ;|
Old 11-30-2014, 07:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

go with a ls6 intake over the ls1 intake .
Old 11-30-2014, 07:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 202 Likes on 122 Posts

why not just drive it like you got some sense. take that mod money and put it towards the payoff of the car. get it payed off sooner start saving for a V sooner with a bigger down payment.

just a thought
Old 11-30-2014, 03:55 PM
Launching!

it's not necessarily mod money that I'm spending. The transmission needs addressed regardless what I do. It is a known weak point and it has already slip banged on more than one occasion. I'm not waiting for the thing to grenade I'm being proactive. I figure I can do all of the required transmission work for just under $1000 in parts. That's a worthwhile investment in my mind for a car that I will probably have for another 6 years.

as for the ls1 intake. I am aware that the LS 6 is superior however for the price that I am getting all of these parts for I cannot possibly complain. The intake swap complete with roller rockers springs and push rods shipped from Canada was 450. That is what I call a no-brainer.

The GXP will be paid off as early as April and I will have all summer to save for the V's down payment as well as funds from selling my truck to add to it.

With the uncertainty surrounding work at the moment I just couldn't jump on that kind of a payment and need to make sure my car is as reliable as I can since the fiance drives it most of the time when I am out of town.
Old 11-30-2014, 04:31 PM
TECH Junkie

ok go for it !!!!
Old 11-30-2014, 04:39 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by madmike9396
ok go for it !!!!
if the transmission wasn't acting up i would drive it as normal and not spend any money. It's just a ticking timebomb at this point and needs addressed before i make any other moves. makes me sad because at one point before i needed to make other purchases i was half way t the down payment i needed. oh well. I will be better off going this route in the short term. I delayed my plans by 6-9 months max. I can live with that.

A wildcard in all this is the possibility of buying a house or relocating to another state altogether. this depends on work. we'll see how it plays out.

I actually really like the GXP. I just wish GM didnt screw the pooch on these transmissions. otherwise it's been a wonderful car to me.
Old 11-30-2014, 04:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by fubar569
if the transmission wasn't acting up i would drive it as normal and not spend any money. It's just a ticking timebomb at this point and needs addressed before i make any other moves. makes me sad because at one point before i needed to make other purchases i was half way t the down payment i needed. oh well. I will be better off going this route in the short term. I delayed my plans by 6-9 months max. I can live with that.

A wildcard in all this is the possibility of buying a house or relocating to another state altogether. this depends on work. we'll see how it plays out.

I actually really like the GXP. I just wish GM didnt screw the pooch on these transmissions. otherwise it's been a wonderful car to me.
I didn't know it was already acting up. I would do the same if I were you and had the $ to fix it.
Best of luck with your job !
Old 11-30-2014, 05:36 PM
Launching!

yeah she started to slip/bang this summer on occasion and i've been limping it as long as i can reasonably live with. it's time to bite the bullet.

Quick Reply: I wanted a 2011+ V Coupe so bad...instead...biting the bullet...