LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

sterring rack replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 08:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default sterring rack replacement

2006 ss impala dealer wants 1150 to replace rack on rock auto rebuilt ac delco rack is 325 and labor should be 3.5 hrs with alinement I'm thinking 800 should be a fair price any thoughts
Old 03-31-2015, 08:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think unless you have a way to drop the subframe to do the rack yourself, your not gonna be in a position to negotiate the price down at the dealer. lol They bill by the parts price and quoted labor hours. And I wouldnt spent the money on the acdelco rack, buy the a1 cardone for 105. The acdelco reman will be no better or worse, just more expensive. Been using a1 cardone and cardone select for years.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:10 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Rack is easy just a slight pain in the *** but if you have no tools primarily but if you have a 11mm socket , deep and short 18mm sockets And a 18mm wrench a floor jack and jackstands and line wrenches..You can do it in the driveway. Subrame dosen t need to be dropped all the way but just enough to wiggle it out. The biggest pain in the *** is the stupid steering shaft. and rubber boot
also don't forget a inner tie rod install tool
Old 03-31-2015, 09:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Get someone who is a cold air dealer i paid a 100 for a cardone did it myself in 1.5 the steering shaft is a bitch the new rack comes with new inner tie rods no need for a tie rod tool unless u want to replace with moogs not really needed moog outer is all u really need
Old 04-01-2015, 07:59 PM
On The Tree

i got labor hrs and part cost from all data they want 650 for just the rack thats 100 over list price. the reason they want to replace it is a squeak in steering wheel.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by m1a2d3
i got labor hrs and part cost from all data they want 650 for just the rack thats 100 over list price. the reason they want to replace it is a squeak in steering wheel.
thats not your rack then buddy i have a slight squeak in mine and my rack was leaking squeak is still there and i didn't expect it be gone either if i had to guess its the clock spring or upper colum
Old 04-01-2015, 09:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

our intermediate steering shafts are bad to lose there lubricant and start clunking , thunking and making noise. When i had my transmission out i pumped a shitload of heavy grease into the boot
Old 04-02-2015, 04:34 AM
On The Tree

they checked the clock spring they swear its the rack. the dealer claims they disconnected the iss and noise went away. thats part of the reason i want dealer to do rack if it dose not fix problem I'm not going to pay any more for them to fix problem. I'm going down there today because they marked the **** out of steering wheel fixing it. they want me to bring it back so they can see it
Old 04-02-2015, 03:26 PM
On The Tree

went to dealer they told me there was no way they damaged steering wheel when i asked about marks on right hand side of plastic below wheel they said i must having been trying to put the key in there instead of the ignition. I've got pictures from 1000 miles ago when i bought car without all the marks. going to call the manager tomorrow
Old 04-02-2015, 03:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

went to dealer they told me there was no way they damaged steering wheel when i asked about marks on right hand side of plastic below wheel they said i must having been trying to put the key in there instead of the ignition. I've got pictures from 1000 miles ago when i bought car without all the marks. going to call the manager tomorrow
lol typical GM dealer, took my cobalt in for a extended warranty replacement of the shifter assembly due to a faulty solenoid preventing the key from being removed, service manager calls me up a half an hour later saying the car was fixed, i get home, key gets stuck in the ignition, they never even looked at the car. Contacted GM corporate, they said there was nothing they could do.
Old 04-03-2015, 03:07 PM
On The Tree

unless i move the 4 gms i own now will be my last. gm closed down so many dealers and i can't drive 100 miles to find a good dealer if one even exists. this same dealer told me with my 2006 van that i voided the warranty for the brakes because it had aftermarket pads and rotors on front they let me drive a loaded plumbing van away with the pedal going to the floor. turned out rear pads were worn 99% a local garage fixed it. i had to buy an extended warranty because the tranny never worked right from day one but they said it was fine its now banging at 110,000. of course out of warranty
Old 04-03-2015, 03:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

unless i move the 4 gms i own now will be my last. gm closed down so many dealers and i can't drive 100 miles to find a good dealer if one even exists. this same dealer told me with my 2006 van that i voided the warranty for the brakes because it had aftermarket pads and rotors on front they let me drive a loaded plumbing van away with the pedal going to the floor. turned out rear pads were worn 99% a local garage fixed it. i had to buy an extended warranty because the tranny never worked right from day one but they said it was fine its now banging at 110,000. of course out of warranty
Don't ask me what it is about dealerships refusing to cover **** under warranty, it's not like it comes out of their pocket. These guys behind the counter make it like its a personal issue to them should something have to be repaired properly. Like for instance that whole issue with my shifter, its a warranty repair, the girl behind the counter gave me the entire copy of the recall, extended warranty coverage, AND the dealer repair procedure, and they still refused to fix it properly. I could have argued over the lack of installation of a 90 dollar part but given that the car was modified, pressing the issue would have just been more a headache then if I just repaired it on my own, last thing I need is a dealer doing something out of spite and hitting me with an 800 dollar bill for something I didn't come in for.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

All the reason above are why i fix everything my self. I literally do all my own HVAC Repair , Car Repair , Carpenter repair, electrical repair.

I was also tempted to learn how to rebuild a 4t65 so i could do it on my own but i did not want to invest the time to learn.

Thank god that worked out.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:30 PM
On The Tree

i have a big 3 car garage for my business I'm thinking I'm going to raise the ceiling in one bay lose storage above and get a lift. I'm tired of paying someone to change parts that don't fix the problem. they put a part on i could buy for a 100 bucks charge me 200 for it. 3hrs labor when it only takes 1 hr and car still dosent work right. **** it ill do it myself.
Old 04-09-2015, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

i have a big 3 car garage for my business I'm thinking I'm going to raise the ceiling in one bay lose storage above and get a lift. I'm tired of paying someone to change parts that don't fix the problem. they put a part on i could buy for a 100 bucks charge me 200 for it. 3hrs labor when it only takes 1 hr and car still dosent work right. **** it ill do it myself.
I like to call garages just to see how much i save. lol I called one shop and it said it was going to cast 600 dollars to put an alternator in my cadillac, 200 bucks and 1 hour later i did it my self...

A local shop to put my transmission in was also going to be about 600, except this took me a little longer then an hour. Took me 2 days. But still got done lol
Old 04-10-2015, 09:12 AM
Teching In

I'll be changing my rack and PS cooler line on my 06 Impala SS today. All started when PS line kept blowing off in - weather this winter. GM won't touch it cause another dealer serviced the recall before I was owner. GMs fix clearly isn't working. They wanted $1600 to change rack and PS cooler line. *******. Also will be installing Magnaflow catback!!
Old 04-10-2015, 07:19 PM
On The Tree

what was the recall
Old 04-11-2015, 04:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

lol yea i knew the intermediate shaft was gonna be a bitch so all data it and went to mr tire lol took guy 3 hours and they quoted me a price of 125 ala .9 hrs on all data still laughing about that one i finally win one
Old 04-11-2015, 05:12 PM
On The Tree

all data is funny sometimes way to high sometimes way to low. nothing can help if some moron is using vice grip to pry off your steering wheel
Old 04-11-2015, 05:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yea i know mech off the job,he don't have a lift so he said bring it up there and he was pissed he said the shaft is hard to hold in place to get it set,i always take care of him though he is my man,he has done springs and struts,all bmr stuff,so i knew if he had problem,i would have never have gotten it laying in my garage

Quick Reply: sterring rack replacement