LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

how many rack and pinions have exploded here

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 02:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default how many rack and pinions have exploded here

Had a couple complaints that i was "leaking fluid" all over the driveway and street, had a few drips and drabs on the center of the oil pan but no identifiable leaks. However when i went back to the rack, its puking fluid the entire length of the car. Which explains why im losing fluid so fast. lol How many of you guys have already had rack and pinion issues with the magnasteer systems?
Old 11-15-2015, 04:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't know any of ours came with magna street,I know mine does not.All my Cadillacs have it. The electromagnet has failed internally on one of my Cadillac.But I have not replaced it, just feels like normal steering.no issues with leaking. I know there is a tsb recall about the power steering rack leaking.
Old 11-15-2015, 04:18 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I already replaced mine, it happens just inevitable. Did it it my driveway withanother one from rockauto no issues to date.
Old 11-15-2015, 05:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sint3k
I didn't know any of ours came with magna street,I know mine does not.All my Cadillacs have it. The electromagnet has failed internally on one of my Cadillac.But I have not replaced it, just feels like normal steering.no issues with leaking. I know there is a tsb recall about the power steering rack leaking.
all the grand prix's with the exception of the base models come with magnasteer, and magnasteer2 on the late models. I have all the wiring going into the rack for it as well.

Originally Posted by 91parkave
I already replaced mine, it happens just inevitable. Did it it my driveway withanother one from rockauto no issues to date.
How hard was it to get out?
Old 11-15-2015, 05:55 PM

Not hard at all. Biggest pain in the *** was the stupid pinch bolt. The rest is all simple, jack, jack stands a line wrench and whatever method you chose to separate the tie rods from the knuckle.
Old 11-15-2015, 06:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Did you drop the back end of the rack or all 4 corners, bout how much?
Old 11-15-2015, 06:36 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had mine leaking for months and finally one day this summer it blew bad. So that's when I decided to pull the engine to replace it and some other stuff. Kinda wish I had done the lines as well when everything was out but was tight on cash. :/
Old 11-15-2015, 07:36 PM

I lowered the front bolts to almost all the way out and then rear completely out. Lowered about 6 inches if I remeber correctly to get it all out.all I did is remove the air intake **** out the way so i could reach down and undo the lines

Quick Reply: how many rack and pinions have exploded here