LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

LS2 Intake manifold and LS7 maf swap thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2016, 07:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default LS2 Intake manifold and LS7 maf swap thread

Getting a new thread going from the speedmaster thread since that project is going to be on hold for a bit, hoping superglide can successfully pull that one off with his buddy as I don't have the resources to port match my heads right now. If you don't know already I decided to go the LS2 intake manifold route due to ease of install and out of all the intake manifolds is the best performer once it is ported, that being said I ordered one from Complete Street Performance and am currently waiting to get that in so I can post up some pictures, but this will serve as the build thread for this project. Here is a full list of what it will consist of with part #'s and items required, along with some pics.

REQUIRED

2005-2007 Chevrolet Corvette
    2005-2006 Chevrolet SSR
    2006–2009 Chevrolet TrailBlazer SS
    2006–2007 Cadillac CTS V-Series
    2005–2006 Pontiac GTO
    • LS3 90mm Gold Blade Throttle Body (LS2 also works fine) PN ACDelco 217-3153
    • LS7 HITACHI MAF0034 MAF SENSOR
    • AEM 21-2057DK 4" DRYFLOW AIR FILTER
    • Spectre Performance 9705 4" MAF ADAPTER TUBE (OPTIONAL RESIN VERSION Airaid 9641)
    • ACDELCO PT2785 MAF SENSOR PIGTAIL CONNECTOR
    • ACDELCO PT2713 LS3 THROTTLE BODY PIGTAIL CONNECTOR
    • FAST 146025 INJECTOR SPACERS
    • Black 4"-4.0" 60 DEGREE SILICONE ELBOW http://www.siliconeintakes.com/60-si...60-p-1134.html
    • MAGNUM MS18276 VALLEY COVER GASKET
    • Fuel Rail Mounting Spacers (Detailed sizes coming)
    • ICT Billet Gen 4 Low Profile Valley Cover 551646
    http://www.ictbillet.com/ls-gen-4-va...te-551646.html
    • KATECH Gen4 Reverse Intake OPSU Adapter KAT-A4784
    http://store.katechengines.com/oil-p...take-p148.aspx

OPTIONAL ITEMS
    • ACDelco 217-1624 Fuel Injector O-Ring Kit
    • Fel-Pro 61436 Throttle Body Mounting Gasket
    • DNJ ENGINE COMPONENTS IG3171 Intake Manifold Gaskets w/ Isolators
    • Type 18-8 Stainless Steel Flat-Head Socket Cap Screw M8 Size, 30mm Length, 1.25mm Pitch - McMasterCarr 92125A290 (Optional to the Included Hardware with the ICT Billet Valley Cover for more secure mounting, included bolts on mine were very short)
    • Type 18-8 Stainless Steel Socket Head Cap Screw M6 Thread, 110mm Length, 1mm Pitch - McMasterCarr 91292A420 (Optional Intake Manifold Bolt Replacements)
    • Dorman 47349 Universal Vacuum T
    • MAF Honeycomb for MAF Adapter Tube
      http://www.treadstoneperformance.com...w+Straightener

IMPORTANT TUNING DETAILS

Important Note: Your car may fail to start upon initial start without help from the gas pedal, based on testing with superglides car, the LS7 maf requires a significant amount more fuel over the stock MAF table, you may have to raise the MAF table by up to +20% or more to get the car to run smoothly enough to maintain idle.

The LS7 MAF Sensor with the included IAT sensor uses different resistance values compared to the stock LS4 MAF and IAT, these value changes need to be brought over from the LS7 tune file in HPTuners to your LS4 tune file, copying the resistance values axis and editing them to match in the LS4 tune file is required. Example below.

The differences in the MAF scale with the LS7 sensor and the lack of an ability to tune VE on the E67 ecu causes the P0101 code to be set upon startup as the predicted MAF values do not match the actual values. P0101 testing must be disabled on startup. Change the values to match the picture below.

Notes about P0101 Diagnostics:

A low minimum air rate through the sensor bore may cause this DTC to set at idle or during deceleration. Inspect for any vacuum leaks downstream of the MAF sensor.
    The barometric pressure (BARO) that is used in order to calculate the predicted MAF value is initially based on the MAP sensor at key ON.

The LS4 ecu must also be told that there has been a change in throttle body diameter to allow for proper idle airflow, ETC Area Scalar must be changed to match below.

CONNECTOR PINOUT CHANGES (pulled from the sticky)

SEE PAGES 2-4 FOR DETAILS REGARDING DTC's P2101 and P1516

You can run 5v ref and low ref from either TPS1 or TPS2 for the 8pin to 6 pin conversion. I personally recommend leaving the 5v ref and low ref from TPS2 disconnected and use only TPS1 signals. The red and blue squares indicate the circuits which are tied together.

The magnum valley cover gasket is designed to fit the oem DOD tray, so it has push pins to snap it in place that need to be removed, the top of the gasket must be flush with the ICT billet valley tray. Additionally, there are oil passages that allow oil to flow through the center posts in the valley to the DOD solenoids, these passages need to be blocked off, JBweld or marinetex works well for this. You may modify the gasket how you see fit, but remember the purpose of using this gasket, is to be able to provide a seal around the DOD oil passages in the center of the valley, without them oil pressure is lost through these as it sprays out and bounces against the bottom of the ICT valley cover. Traditional GM covers used on other Gen4 blocks have o-rings embossed into the cover itself. As show here http://www.briantooleyracing.com/6-2...-12598832.html the 6.2 valley cover is optional to use in place of the ICT valley cover and this particular gasket, however the OPSU port would have to be modified to face 90 degrees out the side vs completely vertical. PN of the 6.2 valley cover is 12598832

The ICT Billet valley cover comes with install hardware, however what was included with my kit was far too short to be used safely without running the risk of damaging the threads when torqued. Here you can see the difference between what was included, the updated hardware listed in the parts list, and the OEM valley tray bolts.

In order to raise the OEM fuel rail to the required height to clear the LS2 manifolds larger runners, injector spacers must be used. Two types are available, bottom mount FAST injector spacers, and top mount hats from FIC (fuel injector connection) the FAST spacers do not interrupt the injector spray pattern despite being bottom mounted as our particular style injector is a needle point spray pattern with a maximum of 10*arc at 6", it is designed to fire directly at the back face of the intake valve. They are also significantly cheaper then the FIC top mount hats.

Intake tube sizing is optional but it is recommended that you run at least 3.5", for this install im running a 4" intake which is paired directly with the size of the throttle body mounting. 45 degree bend is required for any setup. Due to the small length of the LS4 intake, it is recommended to run a honeycomb in front of the MAF sensor to help improve airflow over the MAF and reduce turbulence coming in from the filter. Pics coming soon.

more deets coming soon as the rest of the parts arrive and I begin the install.

Last edited by spawne32; 05-11-2016 at 10:11 PM.
    Old 04-03-2016, 07:59 PM
    TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
    Default allright

another spawne build!!
    Old 04-03-2016, 08:05 PM
    TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by superglide9375
    another spawne build!!
    lol your gonna like this one, im antsy as **** waiting for this intake to come in from CSP.
    Old 04-03-2016, 08:16 PM
    TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice! Just waiting on the intake or have to order the rest as well?
    Old 04-03-2016, 08:20 PM
    TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rottonj
    Nice! Just waiting on the intake or have to order the rest as well?
    Mostly just the intake, the maf honeycomb is on order, and i have a few parts arriving between tomorrow and wed. I just hope we arent going back and forth between warm weather and snow like we have been for the past week here when I get everything in and ready.
    Old 04-03-2016, 08:26 PM
    TECH Fanatic

Another 4 inches here tomorrow, got 4 today and its gone already. Damn cold though.
    Old 04-03-2016, 10:08 PM
    TECH Resident

Received 199 Likes on 99 Posts

You can use the bluecat program to tune VE on the E67... That's what I did for my setup.

If you find a complete top end take off (LS2 Throttle body, Intake, Fuel Rail, & Injectors) you might want to use the LS2 injectors vs. LS4 ones. LS2 injectors are taller, flow more, and have the right electrical connector fitting, so then you just need the 4 fuel rail mounting spacers and longer bolts to use the LS4 fuel rail (or bend the fuel rail connector end on the LS2 fuel rail to point in the right direction and use it w/o needing anything).
    Old 04-03-2016, 10:10 PM
    TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by fieroguru
    You can use the bluecat program to tune VE on the E67... That's what I did for my setup.

If you find a complete top end take off (LS2 Throttle body, Intake, Fuel Rail, & Injectors) you might want to use the LS2 injectors vs. LS4 ones. LS2 injectors are taller, flow more, and have the right electrical connector fitting, so then you just need the 4 fuel rail mounting spacers and longer bolts to use the LS4 fuel rail (or bend the fuel rail connector end on the LS2 fuel rail to point in the right direction and use it w/o needing anything).
    Could you post up some more deets on the bluecat program?
    Old 04-04-2016, 12:07 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You don't need blue cat anymore the new hp tuners already has it built in
    Old 04-04-2016, 12:12 AM
    TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 91parkave
    I have the latest version 3.0, and I dont see virtual ve, could you show us how to use it?
    Old 04-04-2016, 12:16 AM
    TECH Fanatic

Ah found it under the edit tab, lovely!
    Old 04-04-2016, 12:16 AM

Next to file there's edit go down to virtual volumetric efficiency
    Old 04-05-2016, 04:24 PM
    TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You're not going to want to run that metal MAF housing. That's one of the big reasons I relocated my IAT sensor because that tube gets too hot to the touch and your IATs will read sky high.
    Old 04-05-2016, 06:25 PM
    TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lVloses
    You're not going to want to run that metal MAF housing. That's one of the big reasons I relocated my IAT sensor because that tube gets too hot to the touch and your IATs will read sky high.
    The MAF sensor tube is going to be half way into the airbox, ill check it but with the MAF isolated from the metal via the plastic mount and gasket, its free floating in the tube, shouldnt effect the IAT's at all. If anything it should be realistic to how hot the intake air is given how close to the filter it is.
    Old 04-06-2016, 07:20 AM
    TECH Resident

Received 199 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by 91parkave
    That's cool. I haven't needed to do anything tune-wise to my car in close to 2 years, so I haven't been paying attention to the available updates. Maybe sometime this summer I will update and do some review of my tune.
    Old 04-10-2016, 01:52 PM
    TECH Fanatic

What holds the honeycomb in place in front of the MAF?

I found a pic, disregard.

Last edited by rottonj; 04-10-2016 at 02:51 PM.
    Old 04-16-2016, 03:02 PM
    TECH Fanatic

bigggg update today!

LS2 intake manifold has arrived from CSP

heres a pic of the back plugs capped off, used my bore scope to verify that they werent at risk of falling into the manifold. Threads were sealed with RTV to keep them in place.

Drilled the map sensor hole out to mount the OEM sensor. I may opt for a slightly thicker gasket here since it wiggles alot not being screwed in.

Old 04-16-2016, 03:37 PM
    TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good man
    Old 04-16-2016, 07:55 PM
    TECH Fanatic

Installed and lubed up the fast injector hats, parknoob will try to tell you that these will obstruct flow, but like i already said we have pencil point spray pattern injectors, and as an added bonus, the tips of our injectors get seated down into the bottom of these spacers, so they are almost completely flush at the end of the spacer.

heres a nice shot of the new valley tray gasket that goes with the ICT billet tray, and the tray fully installed and torqued down with the katech adapter.

had to call it quits tonight, ran out of sunlight but ill be wrapping this up tomorrow and then tuning it in. I may or may not have to use my modified power steering pump to get this thing all the seated in the valley, going to try rerouting the harness tomorrow and see if it gives me the extra 1/4" i need to get it lined up properly.

Old 04-16-2016, 11:18 PM

All you need to do is shift the harness,no reason to use a modified pumore for a ls2. Also you should take the time now to put some heat reflective material on the bottom of the intake before slapping it on it helps tons. And if you can go around the outer shell with a welder or soldering iron and join the seem it will help with the inherent flaws of the ls2 structure

Quick Reply: LS2 Intake manifold and LS7 maf swap thread