LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Water pump manifold

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 02:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water pump manifold

I have a 06 impala SS and it leaks coolant periodically from in between the block and water pump manifold. Is it possible to remove it with the engine in the car? It looks like it will be really tight to get out without shifting the motor around. Has anyone replaced the gaskets on there's before if so how much of a hassle is it going to be?
Old 01-07-2017, 09:04 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-perfo...placement.html

maybe that?

or this?

Old 01-07-2017, 09:29 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Your manifold is either screwed or not screwed. You need to pinpoint the exact location of the leak. More than possible that's your water pump starting to go because it will start to weep coolant. But it's a chance in a billion that the actual manifold is the cause of the problem
Old 01-08-2017, 02:20 PM
Teching In

It is possible to remove the manifold with the engine in the car, but like others mentioned it's more likely the water pump or water pump gasket.
Old 01-08-2017, 04:32 PM
Teching In

I'm pretty sure it's not the pump because it has been leaking a little here and there. In the last 2 years I've added maybe a gallon of coolant to it. And sometimes I notice a half-dollar size coolant spot on my garage floor. I'm pretty certain that it is the gaskets between the block and pump manifold. I was just wandering if anyone had removed the whole manifold while the engine was in the car.
Old 01-08-2017, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by wesfree
I'm pretty sure it's not the pump because it has been leaking a little here and there. In the last 2 years I've added maybe a gallon of coolant to it. And sometimes I notice a half-dollar size coolant spot on my garage floor. I'm pretty certain that it is the gaskets between the block and pump manifold. I was just wandering if anyone had removed the whole manifold while the engine was in the car.
yes you can but before that which side of the car has bee leaking coolant?
Old 01-08-2017, 05:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 91parkave
yes you can but before that which side of the car has bee leaking coolant?
The passenger side it's coming down the block and dripping off the front corner of the oil pan. It does not leak all the time sometimes I don't see any coolant on my garage floor for a month. Then there will be a puddle and I clean it up everyday for 2 or 3 days then nothing for a week or 2 the another spot will show up.
Old 01-08-2017, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by wesfree
The passenger side it's coming down the block and dripping off the front corner of the oil pan. It does not leak all the time sometimes I don't see any coolant on my garage floor for a month. Then there will be a puddle and I clean it up everyday for 2 or 3 days then nothing for a week or 2 the another spot will show up.
Have u verified the hoses are bone dry? Could also be something as simple as thermostat housing bolt being loose or gasket being bad.

taking off the waterpumo manifold is no easy task. When I did my cam swap I had to lift the body upnoff the subframe to get all the bolts off
Old 01-08-2017, 06:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 91parkave
Have u verified the hoses are bone dry? Could also be something as simple as thermostat housing bolt being loose or gasket being bad.

taking off the waterpumo manifold is no easy task. When I did my cam swap I had to lift the body upnoff the subframe to get all the bolts off
I'll give it another look over once it warms up around the end of the week. These 20degree highs in Alabama are about to kill me. But on a side note I was able to remove the oil pan without dropping the cradle any. Just by removing all the mounts and jacking up the trans. I had **** for oil pressure on a cold start untill the oil temp got to 150 or higher. The pickup oring had hardened and it was sucking air. I've had better oil pressure than it had when I bought it 4 years ago.

Old 01-09-2017, 09:07 PM
Teching In

For me it was the water pump gasket. I could have sworn it was the manifold and was getting ready to pull it off, but it was obvious once I started have a good look at it and pulled the pump off.

Use one of those telescoping inspection mirrors to get a good view of the pump, manifold and the T-stat housing. I was able to get at the T-stat by pulling out the cooling fans. Tricky, but it worked.

Quick Reply: Water pump manifold