LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

What performace parts would you like to see developed for these cars?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 07:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

i'm interested in just making him sound better and less restrictive on the air box. My daily driver as well and its nice to be able to wax some moostangs that wanna play from time to time...06 SS Monte Carlo/ Silver just bought him last week.
Old 08-11-2006, 07:54 PM
Staging Lane

I would like to see a functional Cowl Induction hood for the SS's and a functional Ram Air hood for the GXP's.
Old 08-12-2006, 09:29 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 93INDY5
i'm interested in just making him sound better and less restrictive on the air box. My daily driver as well and its nice to be able to wax some moostangs that wanna play from time to time...06 SS Monte Carlo/ Silver just bought him last week.

I put flowmasters and new tips on mine, she sounds awesome!
Old 09-28-2006, 03:37 PM
Staging Lane

How about a supercharger for the LS4?
Old 10-03-2006, 05:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Where are you going to fit a supercharger
Old 10-03-2006, 07:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by eddiemoney
Where are you going to fit a supercharger
on top of the motor...

They can fit one on a GTP, so there should be enough hood to motor clearance for a nice magnacharger to fit up there.
Old 10-03-2006, 11:42 PM
Launching!

There would be enough room for a smaller supercharger... like a Kenne Bell or something.
Old 10-06-2006, 06:31 AM
Teching In

Default GXP wish list

Richie,
I'd like to see anything. So far I've found a down pipe and heard there's somone reprograming ECM's but if the car goes to the dealer the program is lost. I'd like to see a programmer and a GOOD cold air induction. In addition the car needs a hood like the GTO as it is just too plain.
Travis
Old 10-18-2006, 11:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LightFighter
as far as cams go I would say you have to figure out if you want to keep the DOD or not......but LSx cam should work there is also a conversion kit out there some where to turn the Gen4 motor into a GENIII which rids you of the DOD completely
I would also like to see a "DoD removal kit" made for the car
Old 10-18-2006, 11:52 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Kazmaniac
I would also like to see a "DoD removal kit" made for the car
You can disable it through computer tuning.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BigMikeGXP
You can disable it through computer tuning.
Good news! HP Tuners, as stated in your other post?

Do you know if I have to replace the lifters as well, or would they "fail" in the engaged / locked mode?

Will I throw a code if it's disabled?
Old 10-19-2006, 06:34 AM
Launching!

Good news! HP Tuners, as stated in your other post?

Do you know if I have to replace the lifters as well, or would they "fail" in the engaged / locked mode?

Will I throw a code if it's disabled?
Yep... HP Tuners new release that came out the other day is supposed to be able to disable DoD. I haven't downloading it and tried though.

They would stay in normal operation. (V8 mode)

Haven't tried it so im not sure what issues might arise... such as codes. I doubt it since the only DTC codes dealing with DoD are for a failed solenoid circuit.

Edit: However if you try and disable it another way you will have problem. So far the only "backyard mechanic" way I know of disabling it is to disconnect the oil pressure sensor next to the throttle body. But then you will be greeted with an oil pressure light all the time.

I also tried disconnecting the solenoid wires, but the computer gets very unhappy about that and fails into V4 mode... but with all 8 cylinders still pumping since it can't activate the solenoids. Which tends to make the engine run a little rough

Last edited by BigMikeGXP; 10-19-2006 at 06:43 AM.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BigMikeGXP

I also tried disconnecting the solenoid wires, but the computer gets very unhappy about that and fails into V4 mode... but with all 8 cylinders still pumping since it can't activate the solenoids. Which tends to make the engine run a little rough
I would have guessed that a solenoid failure would fail as a V8, not as a V4. Engineering either missed the boat, or I don't quite understand the GM lifter theory.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:21 PM
Launching!

I would have guessed that a solenoid failure would fail as a V8, not as a V4. Engineering either missed the boat, or I don't quite understand the GM lifter theory.
My theory of why GM programmed it to fail into V4 mode instead of V8...

The computer senses that a solenoid has failed. However the computer has no way of knowing whether the solenoid is stuck open or closed. If it is stuck open (energized position) then that cylinder is not pumping. Since you wouldn't want to be dumping so much extra gas in the manifold the computer justs goes ahead and kills the injectors also.

Another reason is so the average non-technical person will freak out that their car is barely running and go ahead and take it into the dealership. Instead of just looking at the service engine soon light and thinking "well it is running fine... ill take it in later"

Kinda like if you disconnect the MAF... the transmission goes into default full pressure mode. It bangs through the gears even at light throttle. Makes people think "oh **** this car is about to throw parts everywhere... i better take it in to the dealer"
Old 10-20-2006, 08:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Why are you so concerned with DoD mode, does the car not switch to V8 fast enough for you or what?
Old 10-21-2006, 12:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by eddiemoney
Why are you so concerned with DoD mode, does the car not switch to V8 fast enough for you or what?
1) It introduces a new variable for failure to a time proven reliable engine (LSx series / Chevy SB). All of my friends with Z28's, T / A's and Z28SS's, C5 Corvettes and ZO6's all race their cars on the track, and none have failed to date. My Camaro SS has been a very good car.
2) My MCSS switches back and forth too many times with a clunk / surge / vibration, and it only gets a 2 mpg increase (22 - 24) - annoying to me. Leave it in V8 mode, I can accept 22 mpg. (talked with a 55+ year old Grand Prix V8 owner today, who said he gets 27 mpg average on the highway? I didn't think he was BS'ing me)
3) Let's be honest - GM's not the industry leader for new technology. I only buy GM (11 vehicles in the past 16 years), I stuck with the 3100 / 3800 series engines in W-Body with ZERO issues. I had a very bad experience with GM's "new" 4L60E transmissions in a '94 Blazer (3 x $3,000 of them in 120,000 miles - pay $24K in 94, invest $9K in repairs, and sell for $6K because of the Blazer's reliability issues reads I lost my *** on that one). My buddy's T / A thrashed his 4L60E in 31,000 miles. Notice my Camaro SS has a 6M because of a POS in '94?
3) Worked in automotive launch - you know how many rev levels of hardware and software per year there are? Durabilty issues? Warranty issues? Long term failures? Improper testing? BS'ed PFMEA's?
4) Overall the car is carryover, the base LSx, the old reliable 4T65E transaxle, body / electrical is massaged 2000 M / Y Monte Carlo. The new vinyl nose and bumper / sheet metal are no problem. Personally I think DoD will break after warranty, and will be a costly repair like their transmissions. Replace a lifter with another electronic lifter? Not me - I want a LS1 style cam / lifter replacement. Give them less than 5 years with warranty issues and I bet it will disappear. The only ray of light in this deal is the new 100,000 mile warranty, but wait, I got an '06, which I think is an early production example.

Last edited by Kazmaniac; 03-01-2007 at 12:25 PM.
Old 10-22-2006, 06:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well if what you say is correct GM is in a lot of trouble. . . since they are putting DOD into as many of their cars as possible.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by N20LS1
I would like to see an STS turbo kit for ls4powered cars

Seems like a natural for these cars. Single STS turbo kit at 5.5psi would be low profile and drive like stock. I talked to one of the STS guys at Corvettes at Carlisle about it. He said it shouldn't be a problem to get a tuner to install the universal kit. I'll think I'll wait.
Old 11-14-2006, 02:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

supercharger for ls4
Old 11-14-2006, 03:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

intakes are available.
exhaust is available
ecm tuning is available
headers? not so much
down pipes, yes
beefier trannies? yes {all though i have to find that limit}
cams? ehhhh, maybe, all depends on how the timing is set up on the front of it. it will require dropping the motor to do it, so you might as well do heads at the same time, along with injectors to keep up.

turbo? depends on who you ask
blowers? ehh, nope.
find the limit of the tranny first, and move up from there.

if my dod quites, i will have it shut off and all of it removed and go to a true lsx style set up. the last thing i need is to buy a set of 1k dollar lifters

Quick Reply: What performace parts would you like to see developed for these cars?