LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Tired of slip bang shifts

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 03:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tired of slip bang shifts

Yeah so im feeling my tranny's pain with the sliding into 2nd gear ****... There is only so much you can do electronically to promote better shift performance on a otherwise hydraulicly controlled, mechanical devise such as a 4T65E.

So i ordered the street/strip performance pak from Intense racing to try and get a more positive 1-2 shift before i kill the tranny.

I will turn all the trans tweaks i made back to stock and set this kit up for 1 level down from "race" shift firmness and tweak it need be from there.

Ill be doing it over the weekend, i will take pics of the process and post them after. Gotta find a few quarts of Dexron VI from the dealer and i will be set.

Copy and paste from the site...

The INTENSE™ Street/Strip Performance Shift Pak® is designed to give you crisp shifts under light to medium throttle positions, and very firm shifts at wide open throttle. It is not designed to rip your dashboard out, break your input shaft or destroy your transaxle drive chain.

The INTENSE™ Street/Strip Performance Shift Pak® is installed by removing the transaxle pan, then the accumulator cover. The accumulator housing contains the 1-2 and 2-3 pistons that control the rate at which fluid pressure gets applied to the clutch packs during upshifts and downshifts. Our kit contains custom springs and spacers to create the ideal shifts for a mix of street and strip use. Shorter shift cycle times mean less time when the PCM retards ignition timing during each shift to protect the transaxle.

Shortening the shift times serves to increase clutch life, due to less slippage between gears. Less slippage equates to less heat, and less heat can extend overall transaxle life.

There are two basic settings, depending on whether you have a 245 mm. (stock in 4T65E transaxles) or 258 mm. (stock in 4T65E-HD transaxles) torque converter. This kit is by far the most comprehensive performance shift pak on the market for our transaxles. Every kit includes:
5 custom accumulator piston springs
3 custom flat spacers
8 custom cylindrical spacers
sandpaper to smooth accumulator gasket surface for improved mating
new accumulator gasket
abrasive pad to scuff accumulator bores for increased oil on bore walls
2 new piston seals
new transaxle filter
transmission assembly lubricant
extremely detailed installation instructions with full color images explaining how to inspect your transaxle pan contents, and properly prepare the accumulator cover, accumulator pistons and piston pins.
Old 12-20-2006, 06:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

i think mine has taken more of a toll then normal
it sucks *****.
lemmie know how it goes d00d

what made you go with the intense one VS the zzp?
Old 12-20-2006, 08:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Used to do the shift kits in the 'ole TH200R4 and TH350 days, made a huge difference. Anything with even 200 HP back then could chirp the 1 - 2 @ WOT.

I'd be interested to get rid of the mushy / vague shifting. Interested in your results. Thanks!
Old 12-20-2006, 08:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Definately interested in how this goes. . . . .and how it lasts
Old 12-21-2006, 02:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well i liked the one from intense because of how complete the kit is and the level of adjustibilty.

Its been my experience as well with prior auto's including a 4l60E in a 04' Colorado where i had installed a transgo kit and it worked great.

As i said, i dont want this thing to be barking the tires, thats just abusive and nothing is to be gained by it. But I feel with all the "dicking around" it's doing by taking its sweet *** time to start to make the shift then finally locks in it feels like its loosing ground... In the form of .1-.2 tenths. Then i may not need to apply 40% TM so it completes a shift half way decent which will be able to keep the motor pouring the pork to the wheels.

If this project works, the next thing will be 1.85 ratio rockers, comp 918 springs, and chro-moly push rods. Then i will see if its beneficial to take it over 6 grand.
Old 12-21-2006, 02:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BADDLS1SS
Well i liked the one from intense because of how complete the kit is and the level of adjustibilty.

Its been my experience as well with prior auto's including a 4l60E in a 04' Colorado where i had installed a transgo kit and it worked great.

As i said, i dont want this thing to be barking the tires, thats just abusive and nothing is to be gained by it. But I feel with all the "dicking around" it's doing by taking its sweet *** time to start to make the shift then finally locks in it feels like its loosing ground... In the form of .1-.2 tenths. Then i may not need to apply 40% TM so it completes a shift half way decent which will be able to keep the motor pouring the pork to the wheels.

If this project works, the next thing will be 1.85 ratio rockers, comp 918 springs, and chro-moly push rods. Then i will see if its beneficial to take it over 6 grand.

you do lose one car between the 1-2 shift. i have raced people, we have been dead nuts even in first, do the 1-2 shift, lost a car. never to be gained back.
it sucks ***!

im probably going with the zzp kit
Old 12-22-2006, 01:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Have a vid of a guy thrashing an auto WS6 T/A, the shifts are also "soft" compared to the M6. Gears aren't as steep.

He seems to loose a lot of RPM compared to mine.

Soft shifts leave a lot on the table.
Old 12-22-2006, 10:23 AM
12 Second Club

I installed the ZZP kit in my 04 Comp G a few months ago and will do the same for the GXP very soon. This kit came with everything needed and it is adjustable as far as levels of performance, and for another $40 making the total $70 then you can get enough DexVI to swap out your fluid to the good stuff also. The kit takes all of maybe 30 minutes to install and that is including the time it takes for the tranny to drain alittle at a time so you don't dump tranny fluid all over the place. I set mine up for the medium setting instead of the full race setting and the shifts are nice and firm now. It's barks the hell out of the tires on the 1-2 shift. I really consider this to be one of the must do mods on the 4T65E's. I have a DHP PT so I set it on the lower setting and then used the PT to adjust the PCM settings up a little from the stock settings for nice firm shifts.
HTH,
Tate
Old 12-22-2006, 11:51 AM
Staging Lane

How hard is the ZZP kit to install? I mean I'm not a novice but I'm no shade tree mechanic either. Also, while we are in the tranny does anyone have a limited slip for these?
Old 12-22-2006, 05:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Compg
I installed the ZZP kit in my 04 Comp G a few months ago and will do the same for the GXP very soon. This kit came with everything needed and it is adjustable as far as levels of performance, and for another $40 making the total $70 then you can get enough DexVI to swap out your fluid to the good stuff also. The kit takes all of maybe 30 minutes to install and that is including the time it takes for the tranny to drain alittle at a time so you don't dump tranny fluid all over the place. I set mine up for the medium setting instead of the full race setting and the shifts are nice and firm now. It's barks the hell out of the tires on the 1-2 shift. I really consider this to be one of the must do mods on the 4T65E's. I have a DHP PT so I set it on the lower setting and then used the PT to adjust the PCM settings up a little from the stock settings for nice firm shifts.
HTH,
Tate
Do you remember which piston asmy was 1-2 and 2-3? Are they lableled? the instructions i have dont say. is 1-2 or 2-3 closest to that part where the 3 tubes come in?
Old 12-23-2006, 12:26 AM
12 Second Club

I don't really remember which is which. On the 04 it wasn't labeled, but its pretty obvious which one it is because the springs are bigger. The kit is really easy to install, if you can change your own oil then you can do a shift kit.
Tate

Quick Reply: Tired of slip bang shifts