LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

HELP!! rear rotor

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 02:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default HELP!! rear rotor

I'm trying to remove the rear rotor i got the caliper off. But how do i get the rotor off there is this 6 star screw that looks like its holding it on but i stripped it because its on so damn tight. HELP !?

Old 11-18-2007, 03:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Usually, on hard to remove ones, you'd use an impact screwdriver. But in this case, it might be screwed (no pun intended).

I'd wait for other ideas, but otherwise I'd break out the drill and drill the out head. I believe there are two other holes for those screws in the hub.

But I'd wait for other ideas before that, it's more of a last resort.
Old 11-18-2007, 03:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

IS there a purpose for this screw besides to hold the rotor on ? When i drill it out will i need a replacment ?
Old 11-18-2007, 05:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just drilled it out , all it does it hold the rotor to the hub. One wheel down 3 to go.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:30 PM
Teching In

If and when anybody has to take those screws out try this. Before you even try to turn it, put your torx socket in the bolt (without the ratchet on it) and give it a few sharp taps with a steel headed hammer. that will get most of them out on the first shot...
Old 11-19-2007, 08:08 AM
TECH Addict

FWIW, and it's likely too late, but the fronts don't have those screws, iirc. Pretty sure mine was "floating" on the hub when i installed my new pads.

Let's get some pics of the new R1's on there, plz!
Old 11-19-2007, 11:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

The screws are only there to hold the rotor to the hub at the factory, you can ditch them w/o issue.
Old 11-19-2007, 05:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BuffaloSS
FWIW, and it's likely too late, but the fronts don't have those screws, iirc. Pretty sure mine was "floating" on the hub when i installed my new pads.!

Front rotors had the same damn screw but tapping them made them alot easier to remove. So only 1 stripped one. I just now got done with them all took about 6 hours being my first time changing rotors and pads and i had to drill out a torx screw dosnt seem bad. I got some pictures but i'm dead tired i'll upload them tomorrow. I drove her around a bit someone mentioned a clicking i didnt notice any sound. Felt a little more friction threw the pedal due to the slots and you can also feel the slots when braking. I won't know for sure if the sensation i'm feeling is a warped rotor until i can get to higher speeds probably not till tomorrow or so. If i have to take a rotor off i'm going to be pissed. The hardest part was breaking the nuts that hold the caliper on i noticed they used lock-tight or something similar