LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Putting everything together this weekend any tips

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 08:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Putting everything together this weekend any tips

Is there anything i should know before putting car back together do the lifters need to be soaked in oil first? anything else on prep and pre install would be nice.

My problem was the intake lifter on cylinder 1 turned sideways and also scored up the cam pretty good. got the heads cleaned and pressure checked they af good to go also put new valve seals in
Old 06-09-2015, 09:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 08 pimpala ss
Is there anything i should know before putting car back together do the lifters need to be soaked in oil first? anything else on prep and pre install would be nice.

My problem was the intake lifter on cylinder 1 turned sideways and also scored up the cam pretty good. got the heads cleaned and pressure checked they af good to go also put new valve seals in
Roller lifters don't need to be soaked, but I always do anyways. I generally dump them into a quart or two and let them sit overnight. What lifters did you go to? Ls7? Some guys like to drill small holes in the bottom of each lifter tray to promote drain-back.

What oil were you running anyways with the turbo setup? If you are still on 5w30, I strongly suggest swapping to something like a Rotella 5w40.

Speaking of oil, are you changing the oil pump while you are in there? If you do, verify you are using the correct o-ring on the pick-up tube.

Good luck!
Old 06-09-2015, 09:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bfurches
Roller lifters don't need to be soaked, but I always do anyways. I generally dump them into a quart or two and let them sit overnight. What lifters did you go to? Ls7? Some guys like to drill small holes in the bottom of each lifter tray to promote drain-back.

What oil were you running anyways with the turbo setup? If you are still on 5w30, I strongly suggest swapping to something like a Rotella 5w40.

Speaking of oil, are you changing the oil pump while you are in there? If you do, verify you are using the correct o-ring on the pick-up tube.

Good luck!
thanks man i was gonna change the oil pump but i am just gonna replace it with a brand new stock one i use mobil 1 5-30 full synthetic why rotella?
Old 06-09-2015, 09:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 08 pimpala ss
thanks man i was gonna change the oil pump but i am just gonna replace it with a brand new stock one i use mobil 1 5-30 full synthetic why rotella?
The Rotella t6 is generally used in turbo diesel applications (think big trucks that are constantly under load/ boost towing crap all over the place). It handles heat extremely well and is also a synthetic. Going up to a 40 weight also has its advantages with a turbo car as well. It's all I run on the turbo cars I build at my shop.

Quick Reply: Putting everything together this weekend any tips