LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Help!! Need advice ASAP on LT4 heads?'s

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 07:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!! Need advice ASAP on LT4 heads?'s

Got motor tore down and I was lookin at my heads and they look like stock LT1 heads The car had LT4 heads but maybe when I took it in to a shop not (mentioning any names because they are not in business anymore) did a lil swaparoo on me. I forgot what part # and what distinctive feature can make my tell that they are LT4 heads.. If they are not should I just keep them and port them or spend the money on AFR's or AI's. New motor goal is 500rwhp I know it can be acheived with good port work on LT4 heads if these are still LT4 heads

Thanks lemme know ASAP
Old 10-11-2008, 07:36 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

There should be a "LT-4" cast in the head around the valve springs. What manifold do you have?
Old 10-11-2008, 09:19 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I would go with AI ported LT1 heads before LT4s or AFRs anyway.

I think you are setting a goal outside a reasonable range for your apparent experiance level though.

AI had done 500+rwhp on LT1 castings, heads and intake, but the average guy is not going to put it all together well enough to reliably hit that number.
Old 10-11-2008, 11:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you find out if they are lt4s or not?
Old 10-12-2008, 07:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jarretthise
did you find out if they are lt4s or not?

Not yet I will see them again Monday
Old 10-12-2008, 07:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SS RRR
There should be a "LT-4" cast in the head around the valve springs. What manifold do you have?

I did not see a LT4 around valve springs is there anything else I can look for ,
Thanks.
Old 10-12-2008, 08:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

look at the porting on them!! it should be different i would think
Old 10-12-2008, 08:59 AM
Teching In

This site has the casting #'s for the lt1 and lt4 heads.
Old 10-12-2008, 08:59 AM
Teching In

oops this site

http://www.mortec.com/castnum.htm
Old 10-14-2008, 07:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by john93m6z

They are stock LT1 alumminum castings that have been worked a lil . I am going to reassemble them and sale them ..

I just purchased some trickflows 195cc 2.02 intake with 1.60 exh I am going to have a machine shop port them and the intake.

I was told that they were better than AFR's.

Do you think I made a good decision?
Old 10-14-2008, 07:36 PM
11 Second Club

If you read Trickflow's own description they recommend them for strokers and boost. The large chamber drops compression on a 350 and you should be looking to raise compression for NA use.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
If you read Trickflow's own description they recommend them for strokers and boost. The large chamber drops compression on a 350 and you should be looking to raise compression for NA use.
I am sorry I should have told you that this is on a 383 built shortblock and I am goin to spray the Bajeezus out of it.

I understand what you have said in your previous posts about the stock castings ported would give you good power and there is no need for aftermarket heads but like my machine guy said the stock heads will eventually limit you. I was lookin at these things and it doesnt look like they would handle a lot of spray .

I am just pissed because all this time I thought I was runnin around with LT4 heads it appears that a shop may have swapped them with these stockers when I took it in 5 yrs ago to get an exhaust leak fixed because the guy that sold me the car showed the flow chart and receipts before I bought it 8 yrs ago when I was a noob .
Old 10-15-2008, 05:21 AM
11 Second Club

OK forgot the 383 thing.

I will say I would rather have the Trickflows than LT4s based on results.

If you want to succeed here you need to learn to seperate bench racing from actual results. LT4s and AFRs are king in bench racing land.

Be aware though "ported" does not mean a thing. Two guys I know have cams from the same company, one has 87 octane tuning and the smaller of the two cams, the other has max effort heads from some local shop, complete with coatings and everything, tuning from a "ruputable" but in reality bad porter, and has deeper gears and stall. Screwed up thing is they run the same ETs and MPH. So there are MAJOR issues in the tuning and heads on the more modified car, just one of them should not be able to explain the huge lack of power.
Old 10-15-2008, 06:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
OK forgot the 383 thing.

I will say I would rather have the Trickflows than LT4s based on results.

If you want to succeed here you need to learn to seperate bench racing from actual results. LT4s and AFRs are king in bench racing land.

Be aware though "ported" does not mean a thing. Two guys I know have cams from the same company, one has 87 octane tuning and the smaller of the two cams, the other has max effort heads from some local shop, complete with coatings and everything, tuning from a "ruputable" but in reality bad porter, and has deeper gears and stall. Screwed up thing is they run the same ETs and MPH. So there are MAJOR issues in the tuning and heads on the more modified car, just one of them should not be able to explain the huge lack of power.
Yup the "Porting" thing is turning into some kind of fad instead of real performance gains. seem like everyone grandmothers is "Porting" heads. I believe the so called shop that did your car is the one that Ported his own heads then ran 3/10's slower at the track. Like 96 says, I had a customer with a very large cam, huge stall and the car just did not perform, street manners sucked as did the gas mileage, I suggested a smaller cam, smaller stall, "Kids" at the speed shop told the guy I was nuts that how could he make more power going smaller. The customer decided to listen to me, end results, More Dyno proven horsepower, better street manners and gas mileage and ran 3mph faster at the track..
Old 10-15-2008, 07:11 AM
TECH Addict

yeah i have a co worker looking to do the same thing. Too big of cam too big of heads and try to drive it as a DD

Kids these days i swear
Old 10-15-2008, 08:46 AM
On The Tree

Seems like alot of beginners always assume bigger is better for everything. A big cam is great.... if your car is built and tuned to take advantage of it. Its not about getting all the biggest parts you can get and slapping them together. Its the combo. Think about it like street fighter. Combos > large single attacks :-)