LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

so i am getting ahead of myself

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 02:03 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default so i am getting ahead of myself

but im planning on doing a high compresion completely forged 383 next summer. ( i want to run a decent size shot of nitrous on this setup also)

so here what i was thinking for christmas i would ask my parents for the pistons,crank,rods,bolts, and whatever else i am missing. i want part #'s and ect. i don't know what size pistons and crank i would need.

i would be actually putting this setup together in the summer when i have the money, to pay for a machine shop to do the balancing checking clearances ect that would also be when i would buy the h/c combo with all supporting mods. and the kit if i still decided to buy one (iffy on the nitrous right now)

so any help greatly appreciated
Old 10-16-2008, 02:07 PM
12 Second Club

doesnt sound like youre getting ahead of yourself to me, but what do i know about your budget, experience, and knowledge of the car.

i mean thats alot to ask for from your parents for xmas, maybe youre parents are nicer than mine or more wealthy but i would think a list of parts like that would take some time to get all together because of the cost of the parts, labor on the block, and rotating assembly, and H/C package.
Old 10-16-2008, 02:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

just look on jegs or summit for the complete rotating assemblies the lt motor is a one piece rear seal a good forged kit wit h beam rods is lik 1500
Old 10-16-2008, 02:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

i was quoted i think 500 for the machine work on the block and u can go to lloyd and get the heads and cam for lik 1200 and then u need the lifters pushrods RRs gaskets intake work injectors opti timing chain....
Old 10-16-2008, 02:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

you need to establish a general budget, than double it, than your at the final price.

A high compression, forged 383 is not something cheap to build or maintain. Expect 3k for the bottom end, 2k for the top end, 2k for a rear, 1k for fuel system/gaskets/opti, 1k for n2o kit with safety items. So all day your around 8k.

Than you going to need tuning, brakes, a little suspension stuff,. And if your going to be paying for labor another 2-3k.

Why dont you start with bolt ons and the juice?
Old 10-16-2008, 03:00 PM
12 Second Club

i second this method, always good to come out done with extra cash, but never fun to run out of money and not have a car!

Originally Posted by slomarao
you need to establish a general budget, than double it, than your at the final price.

A high compression, forged 383 is not something cheap to build or maintain. Expect 3k for the bottom end, 2k for the top end, 2k for a rear, 1k for fuel system/gaskets/opti, 1k for n2o kit with safety items. So all day your around 8k.

Than you going to need tuning, brakes, a little suspension stuff,. And if your going to be paying for labor another 2-3k.

Old 10-16-2008, 03:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

exactly ! don't think that it will be a cheap build ! for example back in 05 I started my engine rebuild turned out to be a complete restoration ! I purchased a 95 block $500 ,machine work & build cost 1400 ,entire bottom including new oil pan, cam,timing set, hv oil pump, cost well over 1500! In the past 2 months at least another grand for things like injectors, fuel,pump,fuel regulator,egr valve, new flywheel ,clutch and today i just brought a torque arm .All i know is I hope u have deep pockets cause this stuff and cheap !
Old 10-16-2008, 03:35 PM
Banned

you guys read that thread wrong. the only thing they would be paying for is what they could afford so im going to give them a complete list and let them buy what they buy. i would be buying the rest over the summer,

and i want a rebuild so i figured while i was in there go 383, we would be doing everything but the machine work. so what about 10:1 compression with forged internals? i know the stock crank is very strong for what it is. basically i want them to buy as much as possible for ~500 and i would be buying the rest over the summer. (i make 12$ an hour and and average ~45 hours a week so during the summer i have the $$) and i would buy all the parts first then do everything at once. im not going to have a 383 with stock h/c (i see people do that all the time )

Last edited by camaro-94-z28; 10-16-2008 at 03:42 PM.
Old 10-16-2008, 03:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

haha they did read it wrong!!! i didnt even know how to reply to all of that...first off there are so many possibilities to run with doing a forged 383....what do you want?
Old 10-16-2008, 03:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

listen to slomaro, this **** is a big project, big $$ and a lot of time... def double ur budget after u figure it all out, if u dont u will either come up short, or not have enough $$ to fill the tank with 93 after ur all said and done
Old 10-16-2008, 04:11 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by CamaroRacing12
listen to slomaro, this **** is a big project, big $$ and a lot of time... def double ur budget after u figure it all out, if u dont u will either come up short, or not have enough $$ to fill the tank with 93 after ur all said and done
haha wouldn't that be the icing on the cake if you finished the whole thing and come to find out the day you get it all put back together and fired up that you dont have any money left for gas until you get paid again and have to wait until then ahahahahahaha!

but regaurdless assuming you make 12 and hour and work 45 hours a week and get time and a half for over 40 that = 570 a week without taxes being taken out, and assuming there is 3 months of summer and each month has 4 weeks thats 12 week, so that 570 a week times 12 = $6,840 thats without you spending one cent of your pay, not take in other factors like gas, food, cell phone, tax on that pay, so your looking at about $400 a week maybe to spend on the car, that makes like what 400x12 weeks of summer = $4,800

which is barely enough to cover most of the parts that your gunna need,
now i wasnt doing that to cut you down, just more as a reality check, im sure if you tried hard and worked extra hard maybe even a few more hours that you could get enough cash to do this, its just a major investment man.
and it is most likely gunna take alot longer than you are planning out in your head.

with that being said i still don't think youre getting ahead of yourself as first mentioned, as it can be done and has been several times over.

good luck and happy part hunting
Old 10-16-2008, 04:16 PM
Banned

ok thanks. i guess ill part hunt and figure this out as i go. im started think im going to buy this piece by piece then end up selling the car or something dumb like that. i think ill just have them buy longtubes x pipe and sportline springs (the ones i have now sit way to low. i have no clue what they are since they were with the car when i bought it, probably ebay retarded previous owner
Old 10-16-2008, 04:20 PM
On The Tree

You're looking at a lot of cash. My parent's would have a cow if I asked them for speed parts. Heck, my mom has a cow when I ask to borrow $20.

I'm not even sure how much my setup costs, but it was over $10K. That includes a forged motor, T-Trim blower, tuning, fuel system, ignition, built T-56, and Strange 12 bolt.
Old 10-16-2008, 04:24 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by camaro-94-z28
ok thanks. i guess ill part hunt and figure this out as i go. im started think im going to buy this piece by piece then end up selling the car or something dumb like that. i think ill just have them buy longtubes x pipe and sportline springs (the ones i have now sit way to low. i have no clue what they are since they were with the car when i bought it, probably ebay retarded previous owner
yea i'd def go with the long tubes, and if youre really that serious about going fast, throw a small shot of nitrous at it like a 75 shot or even 100, which are both relatively small shots for our motors to handle and your car should be flying by then, also do you have a M6 or A4?

and another thing that might be wise to do would be save up to get a new rear end first, cause with all the torque that 383 will make it will twist your 10-bolt like a cherry twizzler.

plus if you have an A4 and get a new rear and some slicks and a small shot of nitrous you can spray that baby out of the hole and really get moving down the 1/4.
Old 10-16-2008, 04:30 PM
TECH Resident

Just get a big fat loan and call it a day. thats what im gonna do i got flamed already by everyone a few months ago but oh well lol. But listen to these guys man they know their ****. Like PNY said happy part hunting and when its all said and done post vids and stuff of that bad boy. GOOD LUCK
Old 10-16-2008, 04:57 PM
Banned

elitecamaro the loan that ill be taking out is for college this summer. and yes i read your other thread and i too think it is retarded to take a loan out for modding your car.

wickedbusa my dad is just as into making my car as nice/fast as possible as me,

pnykiler i think im going with longtubes and a 50-100 shot.

thanks for the help fellas
Old 10-16-2008, 05:34 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by camaro-94-z28

pnykiler i think im going with longtubes and a 50-100 shot.

thanks for the help fellas
good call for now man, i mean i always wondered why people said get long tubes before you do anything cause it does seriously change how the car drives completely. even before my small cam i could tell top end my car was rather ummm not lacking but just not to its full potential, i could hear the engine roaring, but not moving as fast as roaring, i installed my long tubes and omg i hardly hit the gas once im rolling and this thing just starts moving.

i never thought the long tubes could make such a big difference but they seriously made me extremely happy with my car, where as before i was kinda mad i got an auto (thought that was the reason it wasnt picking up so good top end). now with that 50-100 shot you will be scootin man! go get em!
Old 10-16-2008, 05:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

i would think about a budget 355 build. Stock rods and crank, forged pistons. It would leave you some money for the top end, and the n2o kit.

if you could afford le2 heads and cam you will have a 400rwhp motor that can handle a 150-175 shot all day. Not too bad if you ask me. It would be enough to wack anything on the street and will run 10's on the track with a good 60ft.

It should keep your budget down to 4-5k. Which is a much more reasonable figure for you. When your out of college and have some cash flow than build your forged 383.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:42 PM
Staging Lane

i would think about a budget 355 build. Stock rods and crank, forged pistons. It would leave you some money for the top end, and the n2o kit.

if you could afford le2 heads and cam you will have a 400rwhp motor that can handle a 150-175 shot all day. Not too bad if you ask me. It would be enough to wack anything on the street and will run 10's on the track with a good 60ft.

It should keep your budget down to 4-5k. Which is a much more reasonable figure for you. When your out of college and have some cash flow than build your forged 383.
How strong are the stock rods? I'm doing a budget build similar to what you mentioned but i don't know what the stock rods can handle...
Old 10-16-2008, 06:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

jeez i wish my parents would drop that much on me at xmas.

then again they are paying my college tuituon

Quick Reply: so i am getting ahead of myself