LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

When to replace motor mounts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 06:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When to replace motor mounts?

How do you know if your motor mounts are bad? I am thinking mine are bad because when I take off from first gear the body makes a creeking sound. The sound is not evident when I am cruising. I have a new red (maybe energy suspension) trans mount that I can see.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by camerory
How do you know if your motor mounts are bad? I am thinking mine are bad because when I take off from first gear the body makes a creeking sound. The sound is not evident when I am cruising. I have a new red (maybe energy suspension) trans mount that I can see.
have you crawled around there and looked at them? Are they hard/dried up and cracked?
Old 10-28-2008, 07:50 PM
On The Tree

I only looked from the top, the driver side clamshell looked like it was kinda smashing the rubber and I couldn't see the passenger side from the top. I will have the car up on a lift later this week for a school project so I will have a better idea then.

Thanks
Old 10-28-2008, 07:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Any vibrating? CLunking sounds?
Old 10-28-2008, 08:40 PM
On The Tree

Yes, there is a clunking sound when I accelerate in 1st gear. It is not bad but it is annoying. I wasn't sure if it was suspension related or motor mounts. I am def. going to check the mounts this week though.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default .

i am havin my new ones put in tomorrow... i bottomed out the other day and i think lost part of my passenger side mount's rubber haha... now its so bad every time i go over a bump the exhaust starts rubbin and sounds terrible until i let off the gas and get on some flat ground... so hopefully that will be gone tomorrow... but i'm worried about how bad these energy suspension mounts will vibrate the car...
Old 10-28-2008, 11:49 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes, there is a clunking sound when I accelerate in 1st gear. It is not bad but it is annoying. I wasn't sure if it was suspension related or motor mounts. I am def. going to check the mounts this week though.
Most likely it's your trans mount and not motor. The easiest time to swap motor mounts is when you do headers.
Old 10-31-2008, 09:51 AM
On The Tree

I checked out my motor mounts yesterday. They are the stock rubber mounts. They look okay, no cracks. I might install the Prothane mounts anyways when I do my headers just to be safe. Do you think the car will shake more after having Prothane motor mounts and a trans mount. Right now I just have rubber motor mounts and a Prothane trans mount.
Old 11-08-2008, 05:05 PM
On The Tree

I checked the mounts again from under the the back of the engine and the driver side mount has cracks. They both look a bit hard and deformed. It is weird that they look okay from under the front of the car. But yeah, I am going to replace them with Prothane's kit when I do the headers. It looks like when I have the y-pipe and starter off this should not be as hard of a job.
Old 11-08-2008, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Install the mounts with the headers. Also a great time to do a tune up and replace all the vacuum hoses.

Quick Reply: When to replace motor mounts?