LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Engine overheated and now it wont start

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 10:38 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine overheated and now it wont start

I was on my way to work and the car heated up to red line , I shut it off and rolled into a gas station . I must have a leak somewhere cause the radiator needed about a little more than a gallon . I didn't have time to bleed it so I got to work ok . On my way home I made it ok , no problems , in the morning the car didn't start ? The starter engages but wont spin the engine at all , Itook the starter to get tested and it was ok ? the baterry was ok also ? the battery cables look good except for the ground cable did have a spot where it rubbed off the insulation and did damage the wire but not that bad . I re-taped the cable and installed it and nothing ? any suggestions would really help
Old 11-09-2008, 11:09 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Get your Breaker Bar and a Socket, and try to turn the Crank. If you got it home Hot, the Pistons fused to the Cylinder Walls. Worst Case Scenerio, but you won't know till you try to turn the Engine over.

You could have blown a Head Gasket also and have a Cylinder filled with Coolant, and it won't turn that way either..
Old 11-09-2008, 11:21 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by the_merv
Get your Breaker Bar and a Socket, and try to turn the Crank. If you got it home Hot, the Pistons fused to the Cylinder Walls. Worst Case Scenerio, but you won't know till you try to turn the Engine over.

You could have blown a Head Gasket also and have a Cylinder filled with Coolant, and it won't turn that way either..
Oh yeah , I left that part out , I did turn the engine at the flywheel when I took off the starter and it turned ok ?
Old 11-09-2008, 12:35 PM
Staging Lane

Well after removing the cable wires 3 times , I cleaned off the ground post on the block with a wire brush and the ground cable wire and installed again the car fired up ? I guess it wasn't making good ground . But its working now .
Old 11-09-2008, 01:49 PM
11 Second Club

There ya go..
Old 11-09-2008, 11:27 PM
Staging Lane

well I might not be out of the woods yet . The car did it again . I tried to start it and the starter engaged but it didn't turn the engine over ? I tyrned off the ignition and then tried it again and it fired up . I'm noticing that it is cranking alittle longer before ot starts up when it does crank over . I wonder if the timing needs to be reset or checked out ? I have a few bolt-ons : cai , le ported intake , Lt headers , no cats , ewp , msd coil , these are my bolt-ons , anyone think I might need a tune Or anyother ideas on why it might be locking up at startup .
Old 11-18-2008, 11:17 PM
Staging Lane

Well I took it to my mechanic and $175 later he found a short in the wiring going to the anti theft device . I also broke the starter by tightening it to much and the flywheel broke a tooth And to add insult to injury I now have water in my oil WTF
Old 11-18-2008, 11:36 PM
11 Second Club

The water in the Oil is pretty much to be expected if an LT1 gets hot..
Old 11-21-2008, 10:59 AM
Staging Lane

So I started tearing apart the engine yesterday , I got the intake off and I can already see the creamy oil on the valve lifter guide . I took off the oil fill tube and I can see alot of sludge in the valve cover . Considering I have a flywheel with a broken tooth , I might as wheel pull the engine out , my question is has anyone ever used the intake bolt holes on the heads to pull out the engine ? I've done it with iron heads but not aluminum heads . I'm considering pulling the engine out the top .
Old 11-21-2008, 11:44 AM
11 Second Club

I alway's used the Bolt holes on the front and back ot the Heads..
Old 11-21-2008, 03:23 PM
TECH Addict

make sure your heads dont need to be resurfaced before you put it back together i made that mistake on my first LT1
Old 11-21-2008, 03:45 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by djjab57
make sure your heads dont need to be resurfaced before you put it back together i made that mistake on my first LT1
Yeah , these heads are on their way to Lloyd Elliot . If I can get this engine out .
Old 11-21-2008, 03:58 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by the_merv
I alway's used the Bolt holes on the front and back ot the Heads..
Good idea , I looked and found those bolt holes you are talking about . Their is also some coolant lines bolted to the back of the heads , did you take those of before pulling the engine or after ? They are hard to get to . Also the A/C compressor and bracket , should I disconnect the lines and let the froen leak out or try to set it all a side I'm trying to set it all a side so as not to disconnect the hoses but it does'nt seem to want to budge but only an inch or so . As you can tell it's my first time pulling an LT1 .
Old 11-21-2008, 04:38 PM
Staging Lane

Well I got the a/c bracket off and the compressor looks like its out of the way now . Everything else looks ready except the auto tranny . Should I pull them both out together or should I disconnect the tranny from the engine ?
Old 11-21-2008, 04:52 PM
TECH Resident

I would recommend dropping it out the bottom, unless it really isnt an option
Old 11-21-2008, 06:39 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by phirepower
I would recommend dropping it out the bottom, unless it really isnt an option
I would if I knew how , I've read threads on how to but still its my first time and I really wouldn't like to attempt it . I've removed plenty of old school V8's and have plenty of experience doing it that way , but no experience on fbody's , or LT1's . I've heard of people taking it out the top with the tranny . So thats what I'm attempting
Old 11-22-2008, 01:59 PM
Staging Lane

Well I got the motor out the top It wasn't that hard but I definetly wont try that again . I am going to figure out how to take the craddle off now without the engine in their , and I'm going to put the engine back through the bottom ??? Now I have to go tear apart the motor .
Old 11-23-2008, 01:55 AM
11 Second Club

It's pretty easy to drop it out the bottom..6 Bolts on the K-Member, disconnect the Sway Bar off of the Car, unbolt the Shocks at the bottom.

Quick Reply: Engine overheated and now it wont start