LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

what headers for 4" exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 02:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default what headers for 4" exhaust?

i was looking and thingin about instead of TD get the mufflex 4" cat back and dump it befor the axle so i dont have torque arm issues. but if i did that itd seem stupid to hav headers with a 3" collector is there a way around that does anyone make anything?
Old 12-09-2008, 03:03 PM
TECH Regular

i dont have an answer for the collecter size other than getting a 3" to 4" adapter.

i dont think anybody sells a header with a 4" collector for LT1's but if anybody did it would be Kooks or Stainlessworks, and you would be probably be paying over a grand if not two grand for headers with that big of a collector.

if you think about it if you have 1 3/4 primaries the area of the piping (think inner circle) is 2.4"sq. that multiplied by 8 for each cylinder is around 19"sq. the area of 3" is 28.3XX"sq. that stated the 3" has a substantailly higher area. that being said unless you had like 2" or 2 1/8" primaries the 3" collecter wouldnt be a restriction in the system anyways.

i am sure you are going to hear a lot of this, but for the mods and times you have in your sig, 4" is way overkill, especially if you are going to dump it.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by impaled
i dont have an answer for the collecter size other than getting a 3" to 4" adapter.

i dont think anybody sells a header with a 4" collector for LT1's but if anybody did it would be Kooks or Stainlessworks, and you would be probably be paying over a grand if not two grand for headers with that big of a collector.

if you think about it if you have 1 3/4 primaries the area of the piping (think inner circle) is 2.4"sq. that multiplied by 8 for each cylinder is around 19"sq. the area of 3" is 28.3XX"sq. that stated the 3" has a substantailly higher area. that being said unless you had like 2" or 2 1/8" primaries the 3" collecter wouldnt be a restriction in the system anyways.

i am sure you are going to hear a lot of this, but for the mods and times you have in your sig, 4" is way overkill, especially if you are going to dump it.
thanks thats a good point but im askin about the 4" because im buildin a 383 and gonna spray the life outta it and hope to see a few 9 second passes
Old 12-09-2008, 03:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

I wouldn't think that 3" collectors into the Mufflex 3" Y-Pipe with their Flowmaster 4" merge collector into one of their 4" Catbacks would have much a restriction.

Last edited by StealthFormula; 12-09-2008 at 03:17 PM.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by StealthFormula
I wouldn't think that 3" collectors into the Mufflex 3" Y-Pipe with their Flowmaster 4" merge collector into one of their 4" Catbacks would have any restriction.
hey all this math just got me thinkin that the 4" would be goo because ur takin 4 cylinders into one 3" which is more then enough for 4 cylinders and then your opening it up to 4" where all 8 come to 1. does this make sense to anyone? i think i got it now.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:15 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by z28rob18
hey all this math just got me thinkin that the 4" would be goo because ur takin 4 cylinders into one 3" which is more then enough for 4 cylinders and then your opening it up to 4" where all 8 come to 1. does this make sense to anyone? i think i got it now.
I couldn't tell you because I don't know if it all translates as easy as it seems or not. Here's someone from lt1engine.com that you may find interesting. Obviously those numbers don't include a muffler and who knows about the size of the Y for the single systems but its still pretty helpful...

A 2.75” (stock) single system is good for a 310hp engine with zero loss…
A 3” Single system is good for a 370hp engine with zero loss…
A 3.5” Single system is good for a 503hp engine with zero loss…
A 4” Single system is good for a 657hp engine with zero loss…
A 2.25” dual system is good for a 457hp engine with zero loss…
A 2.5” dual system is good for a 513hp engine with zero loss…
A 3” dual system is good for a 812hp engine with zero loss…

You could just do 3" Duals with an H-Pipe to eliminate the chassis torque arm issue or if your going to stick with tranny mount then an X-Pipe will be ok.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

the chassis mount torque arm wont be a problem if i use a H pipe instead of an X pipe?
Old 12-09-2008, 03:27 PM
11 Second Club

the chassis mount torque arm wont be a problem if i use a H pipe instead of an X pipe?
I've heard of a few people going the H-Pipe route for that reason alone. If you look around you should be able to find some more info on it but maybe someone running that setup will chime in.
Old 12-09-2008, 04:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I make 470 to the tires, times in sig. I have 3.5 inch collectors, 3.5 inch fabbed y pipe I made from prefab bends. Into a Flowmaster merge. Into a 4 inch mufflex over the axle into a single in/out Magnaflow muffler with a single 4 inch tip on the drivers side bumper. I used stainless band clamps on the ex.

The car runs the exact same and mph and ET capped up or uncapped.

You can make what you want yourself, make the Y pipe like I did out of prefab bends, into a Flowmaster merge into a 3 foot peice of 4 inch pipe then the muffler and a turndown in front of the axle.

If you have a 18 wheeler dealer close they have Exhaust catalogs from Nelson and the like, you can order what you want along with the band clamps. Thats what I did.

Or call these guys, I got my muffler, Flowmaster merge and some other stuff from them

www.fulllineexhaust.com
Old 12-09-2008, 10:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Look in the exhaust section, everyone is H over X due to the TQ Arm.

The h pipe should have the clearence, check out all the pics. They will be the proof.

Quick Reply: what headers for 4" exhaust?