LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Help help again, another acting up lt

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 07:29 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Help help again, another acting up lt

Seems to be a common theme around here now all these miss firing lts. Anyway as you can guess im having the stuttering, crappy running lt like everyone else and it has some odd symptoms that i havent seen in the other threads. I was coming back on the highway sitting at 70 miles an hour consistently at 2000 rpms, my car then starts to buck stutter still maintain speed but the rpm gauge bounced around bad in excess of 1000 rpms up and down. It does this only when it feels like it, temp, open closed loop have had no effect. I also am running rich, back firing, and occasionally dying at red lights. I do have an ses code, i have different ones all the time, some days cylinder 1 missfires only, somedays cylinder 3, somedays random multiple, sometimes bank 1 is to lean (although its rich as hell), and now sometimes MAF recirculation malfunction. Also very rarely when it back fires the headlights dim for a sec at night. The car has only 70k on it, and brand new parts all around. Opti, plugs, plug wires, battery, wiring basic stuff. It is also getting steadily worse and i need to make it dependable because its the only car i have right now.
Old 12-13-2008, 11:09 AM
On The Tree

I had The same problems it ended up being my front 0'2s, the funny thing was is i just replaced them a week before and they already went out!! bosch is sh**
Old 12-13-2008, 04:33 PM
Staging Lane

I got the same problem but my ses light comes and goes. I am replacing the o2 sensors with ac delco, hopefully that fixes mine.
Old 12-13-2008, 06:11 PM
Teching In

Im going to get some acdelco o2s soon and ill try that. Im also going to try another pcm, as remote as the possibility is that it went out, you never know. Anyway any of you have a break through speak up. Lol maybe we can fix this freaking lt1 epidemic that seemed to spring up.
Old 12-13-2008, 09:52 PM
Staging Lane

I had the same type of symptoms but it turned out to be my oti. the car would run fine for about 15 to 20 min then start missing and dye. finally the car wouldn't fire back up. Get an obd1 reader and it'll take all of the guessing out.
Old 12-14-2008, 02:39 PM
Teching In

The z is a 96 so its ob2, thanks for the advice though. Today i was sitting in traffic and my volt gauge started to jump around too. Also the car has quit idling at 1000 rpms and is now idling around 500.
Old 12-14-2008, 03:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a similar problem LAST WEEK... ICM went bad.. finally quit on me AS I WAS PULLING INTO THE PART STORE! lol

put it on in the parking lot and fired right up!
My symptom were the same BUT sometimes mine would lose all power stumble at 200-500 rpms then die.

check the code!

Does yours start back up when it dies at stop lights..??
Old 12-14-2008, 08:33 PM
Teching In

Actually it rarely dies but when it does it fires right back up and i did put a new icm on it about 6 months ago, before i had serious problems.
Old 12-14-2008, 09:26 PM
Teching In

i would deffinatly try swaping out the pcm, and since your running rich... after you replace the pcm give your plugs a check see if there fouled out. seems like lt-1 pcms like to take a crap randomly, its like they are sensative or something, where as a mustang pcm u could flush down a toilet and they would still work fine haha...
Old 12-15-2008, 12:34 PM
Teching In

I am almost positive its either electrical or computer so im really thinking about painless perfect high rpm kit for the lt1. I can get one at a pretty cheap price, dont have much experience with painless but ive heard alot of good things. If anyone has had some experience with their kit let me know, just mannerism, drive ability, power gains, etc.
Old 12-17-2008, 03:59 PM
Teching In

Learned something new, after calling painless i asked them does your kit work as a direct plug in with my dash cluster, the guy told me no. It wont work with your ac, coolent sensors, egr, abs, just about everything it wont work. No wonder no one uses theses.

Quick Reply: Help help again, another acting up lt