LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Your opinions!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 06:37 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Your opinions!!!!

ok guys my formula with all the mods in my sig. is the disscussion here. i am getting loyde elliotts stage one heads (le1) and i was thinking about going with one of his emmissions legal cams. cause i would like to be able to pass emmisions here in maryland. i would love to go with a bigger cam but i dont know if it would still pass. my main question is should i get the stock lt1 intake ported and polished to match the heads or go with the lt4 intake and get that ported? also what size aftermarket throttle body should i go with 52mm or 58mm. i would think 58 would be to big. im also planning on doing longtubes and y-pipe with magnaflow cats. i would love to run no cats but the past few times i have been to emmissions they have done a visual inspection and if they dont see cats it wont pass. also if u guys know any other supporting mods i may need. On the website with these heads and the mild cams that r emmissions legal. it says i dont need a stall or rear gears. so thats one reason i was going with the smaller cam. i know this was really long, but anyway thanks for the help guys.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:30 AM
TECH Resident

I been lookin into LE2 No Emissions here
Old 12-15-2008, 07:39 AM

the lt1 intake got enough place to make them big. and about the throtle body put the bigger you can if you can put the uniblade go for it.
http://www.azspeed-marine.com/58mmmothbo.html
Old 12-15-2008, 08:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 96formulabird
ok guys my formula with all the mods in my sig. is the disscussion here. i am getting loyde elliotts stage one heads (le1) and i was thinking about going with one of his emmissions legal cams. cause i would like to be able to pass emmisions here in maryland. i would love to go with a bigger cam but i dont know if it would still pass. my main question is should i get the stock lt1 intake ported and polished to match the heads or go with the lt4 intake and get that ported? also what size aftermarket throttle body should i go with 52mm or 58mm. i would think 58 would be to big. im also planning on doing longtubes and y-pipe with magnaflow cats. i would love to run no cats but the past few times i have been to emmissions they have done a visual inspection and if they dont see cats it wont pass. also if u guys know any other supporting mods i may need. On the website with these heads and the mild cams that r emmissions legal. it says i dont need a stall or rear gears. so thats one reason i was going with the smaller cam. i know this was really long, but anyway thanks for the help guys.

Go with a bigger cam as you are OBDII and all they should do is a visual inspection (as you know) and plug the computer in to scan your comp for any codes. The problem is if you are OBDI they are still doing the roller/sniffer tests and that's where you run into problems with a bigger cam and higher emissions. Check your area and make sure they don't do a sniffer and if so go with a custom grind from AI or Lloyd and have the computer tuned by Bryan or Ion (pcmforless or madtuner) to tune out the codes and make it respond normally when they run your test during inspection. ODBII is much easier to get to pass emissions than OBDI. Check around and let us know what you find.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:54 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To answer the ported intake question, Yes I would def do so. You will get much better flow. Just got mine done from Lloyd and it's a night and day difference. I would look into doing the LE2 heads just in case you decide to go with a bigger cam in the future so you will have the heads to flow it...plus the LE2 heads are good for another 10-15rwh. As far as the throttle body def get a 58mm. It won't be too big for your set up. BBK makes a good T.B. Good luck man and you won't be dissapointed! Feel free to PM me if you need anymore help.

Elliott

Last edited by Elliott's94Z; 12-15-2008 at 09:00 AM.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

If your not doing the gears or converter go with the LE2 heads and LE1 cam. You might be able to have your 48mm ported to 52mm, I did. A small cam doesn't mean it's going to be a dog, but a quality 3600 converter and 3.73 gears would really wake up the rest of the combo. I've managed a few 11.9x with that set-up when the air wasn't to bad.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:04 AM
Launching!

ok thanks guys and by the way my car is a 96, so it is obd2. the still do the gas cap test and visual inspection and then plug the scanner to it. thats it. so maybe i will do a bigger cam and thanks for the input. what kind of power can i expect from all this stuff. i was hopping to be around 400 at the wheels. thanks
Old 12-15-2008, 09:09 AM
Banned

ok thanks guys and by the way my car is a 96, so it is obd2. the still do the gas cap test and visual inspection and then plug the scanner to it. thats it. so maybe i will do a bigger cam and thanks for the input. what kind of power can i expect from all this stuff. i was hopping to be around 400 at the wheels. thanks
Being you are an auto and your doing a emissions cam you will not see 400 at the rear. You would have to step it up in the cam area and really have all the supporting mods to acheive 400rwh..full bolt on's, 1-7/8 long tubes, ported intake, 58mm etc etc.. I would def do some 3.73 gears to top this package off as well. They will really bring the car alive. With all this, LE2 heads, and a emissions cam you will prob be somewhere in the 370-375rwh range
Old 12-15-2008, 11:17 AM
Launching!

yeh i will probably step up too a bigger cam. and yes im planning on headers and y-pipe with high flow cats. my only problem is on elliottsportworks.com they say with the cams that r not emmissions legal u have to get a stall. and this is a nice weather car. and has never been to the track and is mainly driven on the street. i will take it to the drag strip after i have this stuff done. but what stall should i go with. i dont want something insane where it would be hard to stand it on the street. cause in spring and fall i drive it down to ocean city for the cruise in'
Old 12-15-2008, 11:22 AM
Banned

yeh i will probably step up too a bigger cam. and yes im planning on headers and y-pipe with high flow cats. my only problem is on elliottsportworks.com they say with the cams that r not emmissions legal u have to get a stall. and this is a nice weather car. and has never been to the track and is mainly driven on the street. i will take it to the drag strip after i have this stuff done. but what stall should i go with. i dont want something insane where it would be hard to stand it on the street. cause in spring and fall i drive it down to ocean city for the cruise in'
I would rec a Yank 3000 or the Yank 3200. 3000 should do you fine and it would be a nice one over the stock for daily drivers. Here's their site.
http://www.converter.cc/converters/street/GM/2/
Old 12-15-2008, 02:08 PM
Launching!

ok thanks yeh i might pm u later to get some more info elliott'sz. ok cause i plan on doing this soon.
Old 12-15-2008, 02:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just got off the phone with Lloyd, he gave me some good info for what i'm wanting to do, i've decided to go with one of his cams, he did recammend going to 36 injectors & 58cc TB with his heads/cam to achieve the best HP, you may want to give him a shout, he is very helpful & super cool too, i have all i need for when i change over, whether your on a budget, or have extra too spend, he will help you out, i was going too buy the cc503, but now i'll be buying from Lloyd, so give him a call.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LM97Z
I just got off the phone with Lloyd, he gave me some good info for what i'm wanting to do, i've decided to go with one of his cams, he did recammend going to 36 injectors & 58cc TB with his heads/cam to achieve the best HP, you may want to give him a shout, he is very helpful & super cool too, i have all i need for when i change over, whether your on a budget, or have extra too spend, he will help you out, i was going too buy the cc503, but now i'll be buying from Lloyd, so give him a call.
Look into the Delphi 37# injectors through Racetronix.
Old 12-15-2008, 04:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Elliott's94Z
Look into the Delphi 37# injectors through Racetronix.
Thanx!! What about the TB?
Old 12-15-2008, 04:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LM97Z
Thanx!! What about the TB?
BBK Performance Plus 58mm. Nice product!
Old 12-15-2008, 11:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Leave the stock TB
Old 12-15-2008, 11:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by lt1z28camaro
Leave the stock TB
To leave out a 58mm during a head/cam swap would be ignorant unless the stock was already ported out. Or at least a 52mm. Why skimp out on such a small investment when your ponying up and spending the cash to do the heads/cam...it's HP..isn't that what the whole goal is

Just my 2 cents...word up

Last edited by Elliott's94Z; 12-15-2008 at 11:30 PM.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Leave the stock TB
No offence but, i'll take Lloyd Elliotts advice because i'm sure he knows his stuff about his products/work, unless you have solid FACTS the stock TB with his head/cam packages will make more HP/TQ. or installing a larger TB won't make anymore HP/TQ with HIS heads/cam for that matter & would only be a waiste of coin!! I'm all ears.

I see you have the LE2 heads, are you sure you wouldn't gain any by installing a larger TB? He even told me our injectors are at there limit with just a cam change, with full bolt-ons of coarse. But with a head/cam upgrade you'll only benefit with a larger TB & injectors, even with his budget heads that flow 255/180 & the emissions cam, so i'm sure you would definitly benefit with the LE2 package with larger injectors/TB.

Last edited by LM97Z; 12-16-2008 at 02:09 AM.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Lol wow, I think I went retarded when I said that for some reason, (dunno what apparently I was brain dead after my finals??) But I was thinking of MAF........sigh. sorry for being a dumbass haha.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:00 AM
Banned

Lol wow, I think I went retarded when I said that for some reason, (dunno what apparently I was brain dead after my finals??) But I was thinking of MAF........sigh. sorry for being a dumbass haha.
Ok good cause you had me wondering me for a minute

Quick Reply: Your opinions!!!!