LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

ABS inoperable

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 01:17 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ABS inoperable

So my ABS light went on. Haven't got a chance to look at it but I'm thinking why not just buy a delete kit. Saves a little weight and cleans up th engie bay. Anybody have any say on just deleting it? For those who deleted it do you ever feel like you shouldn't have?
Old 12-17-2008, 01:19 PM
TECH Resident

mine comes on randomly. it will stay off for a week, then come back on everytime i drive it for a few days. then stay off. I'm assuming it's a dirty sensor which is most likely the culprit in your case as well. just give them a cleaning.

something else i've noticed, when the abs light is on... the cruise control system is disabled.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

I deleted mine, and I love how the Car stops ALOT quicker..

I deleted it a little differently than most, it only cost me about $5.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:09 PM
Teching In

Default Tell us hot you deleted it

I hate the spasmodic ABS INOP light' it is a distraction. The whole thing is a waste and an extra 6 lbs or so to carry.
This forum is helpful because the people communicate. On the othher hand We seem to be slowing down. It is good to see that it has not totally died. Part of the problem is our cars are getting older and so are we. GM has not kept up either and money for mods is better spent on the 2010 Camaro. The enthusiasm is waning with the realities of life, fuel and maturity. Satisfaction with our F bodies is such an ordinary thing; joy is what we crave. The cutting edge of technology is what kept the fun alive. On the good side we can still kick rice, bey spare parts cheaper and hear the rumble that beats into your soul. Better time are coming:eyes
2009 will be a new beginning.
Old 12-17-2008, 03:45 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by the_merv
I deleted mine, and I love how the Car stops ALOT quicker..

I deleted it a little differently than most, it only cost me about $5.
yeah merv why dont you share your secret

i'm thinking i shouldnt have wasted the extra 125 to add the 3 channel abs to my 12 bolt back when i bought it. should of deleted it back then.
Old 12-17-2008, 03:50 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine will come on randomly in my 95. Usually it happens a lot if I hit a really big pothole.
Old 12-17-2008, 04:25 PM
11 Second Club

Mine's on right now... like the fella's said up top, it's come on for a bit here and there; but it's been on steady for a couple of weeks. It IS a distraction but I think it compliments me "check engine' light, which has been on steady, since the rebuild. PCM for less did the tune and I expect we just missed something in the deleting of crapola.

If anyone's got any tech specifics on the ABS delete I'd appreciate the heads up... it's next.
Old 12-17-2008, 04:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

check your tailights, does your cruise control work. Make sure to check the tailight on on ur spoiler
Old 12-17-2008, 04:55 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Kmaroman
check your tailights, does your cruise control work. Make sure to check the tailight on on ur spoiler
i did a highrise hatch swap and i wired it up correctly and all that but the spoiler tail light isn't working. the defroster works but not the tail light. could this be the problem? how do i get it working? i mean, its wired up
Old 12-17-2008, 05:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine used to come on all the time. Then, whenever it rained, or I washed it, it'd turn off. As soon as it dried up, it'd come back on again. Then, one day it rained and turned off. I parked the car for a few days while I was on vacation, and it hasn't came back on since.
Old 12-17-2008, 06:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nik1703
i did a highrise hatch swap and i wired it up correctly and all that but the spoiler tail light isn't working. the defroster works but not the tail light. could this be the problem? how do i get it working? i mean, its wired up
That's it, my car the tail light on the spoiler went out. Causing me to lose abs an cruise. Fixed an it worked fine, what do u mean by high rise hatch swap, you put a bigger spoiler on it? im a little lost. Try searching the ss spoiler, there was a more in depth thread about this on here with that title i believe
Old 12-17-2008, 06:50 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Kmaroman
That's it, my car the tail light on the spoiler went out. Causing me to lose abs an cruise. Fixed an it worked fine, what do u mean by high rise hatch swap, you put a bigger spoiler on it? im a little lost. Try searching the ss spoiler, there was a more in depth thread about this on here with that title i believe
i put a WS6 hatch on my formula. the brake light wiring isnt working even though it's wired up correctly. the defroster is working though.
Old 12-17-2008, 06:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

try searching that ss spoiler conversion, all i remember was there was some catch to changing them that might apply to the trans an ws6 problem ur having, wish i was more help
Old 12-17-2008, 09:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by C_Rules
yeah merv why dont you share your secret
I had to do a little customization, but I managed to use a Brake Proportioning Block out of a late-model 3rd Gen Camaro, and got a Flare Tool with the correct fittings to make it work in my Car.

The Stock ABS Module weighs a bunch, deleting that got rid of some weight.

Last edited by the_merv; 12-18-2008 at 12:59 PM.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this may be a dumb assumption... but are you sure your rotors and pads are in good shape? several years ago i had a random abs inop light along with the low trac coming on during slow speed braking (under 5mph or so) the pedal would get hard and then jump to the floor and pop back up and after doing this 3 or 4 times the abs inop would come on and stay on.. i thought it was the front right wheel sensor as i had a blowout at one point while i had the abs inop problem and it went away for a month. i went in to get a tuneup done on the car and had the tires rotated and asked the shop to clean that sensor and they noticed the front pads only had like 30% left and the rears were at about 20%... they also said the rotors were starting to warp. new rotors and pads all the way around and i havent had an abs inop problem since. this was all about 3.5 years ago fwiw. Actually i have seen the abs inop come on once or twice after the car has been sitting for several days and the battery is weaker than normal. i think the abs requires more volts than starting the car does. the abs inop would immediatly come on after starting the car. if i let the car run for a minute or 2, shut it off and restarted it, the abs light would be off.

my .02

Quick Reply: ABS inoperable