LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

can i pass smog with these headers?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 07:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can i pass smog with these headers?

http://www.herronperformance.com/sto...&productId=211 and will they bolt right up to my y-pipe
Old 12-28-2008, 08:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

depends on if your state does a visual inspection or not, it will pas the sniffer if you keep cats on it but you are going to have to go aftermarket for that those headers will not bolt to your y
Old 12-28-2008, 08:43 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no and no.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:14 PM
Banned

Yes you will be able because they have the AIR/EGR hook up for smog testing..same ones my friend has and he passes with no problems. Run cats as well.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:28 PM
11 Second Club

lol i should have read the link the off road pipes are pictured. Yes if you use cats!
Old 12-28-2008, 09:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Elliott's94Z
Yes you will be able because they have the AIR/EGR hook up for smog testing..same ones my friend has and he passes with no problems. Run cats as well.
what did he do for the y pipe since these wont hook up to the stock one?
Old 12-28-2008, 09:39 PM
TECH Junkie

I passed with longtubes and some fake AllFlow cats. They won't run the sniffer on 96+ up cars I believe. For me they just scanned my computer which was tuned to remove any emissions codes and I passed visual because of my fake cats that look real. And I got race headers to remove EGR/AIR.

Also I would HIGHLY recommend spending the extra money on ceramic coated headers. I almost bought painted headers, but glad I chose not to. A friend of mine installed some painted Heddman headers and within a day it was flaking like no other and just looked poor. Now I don't know the exact quality of Pacesetter's paint, but my coated headers still look extremely shiny and nice. Plus they keep the heat within the headers better.

Old 12-28-2008, 09:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

it all just depends on where you live...I live in california and they do the whole nine yards on every car no matter the age. As for your y-pipe you are going to have to go ahead and get the pacesetter off road y pipe and some aftermarket high flow cats and have them welded in after you have the exhaust mocked up in the car. The pacesetter ORY isn't very expensive around 120 bucks which you can find at one of the sponsors and the cats it all just depends on what you are looking for. I went with the painted headers and as soon as I got them I media blasted them because pacesetters paint is not the highest quality. I then sprayed them with 2000 degree ceramic paint then wrapped them with fiberglass header wrap. I am in the process of installing so I can't comment on longevity but I really wanted to use wrap and wrapping them voids the warranty for any ceramic coating that the manufacturer offers so it would have been a waste of money for me.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JB_97ws6TA
it all just depends on where you live...I live in california and they do the whole nine yards on every car no matter the age. As for your y-pipe you are going to have to go ahead and get the pacesetter off road y pipe and some aftermarket high flow cats and have them welded in after you have the exhaust mocked up in the car. The pacesetter ORY isn't very expensive around 120 bucks which you can find at one of the sponsors and the cats it all just depends on what you are looking for. I went with the painted headers and as soon as I got them I media blasted them because pacesetters paint is not the highest quality. I then sprayed them with 2000 degree ceramic paint then wrapped them with fiberglass header wrap. I am in the process of installing so I can't comment on longevity but I really wanted to use wrap and wrapping them voids the warranty for any ceramic coating that the manufacturer offers so it would have been a waste of money for me.
yah i am in san diego as well. so the cats are going to go after the ORY? where did u get the paint at?
Old 12-28-2008, 10:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

you weld the cats into the ORY but you need to check for clearance so I would do it after everything is mocked up in the car then figure out the placement for the cats, you are going to have to put one in each leg of the y pipe directly in line with each collector. As for the paint I bought mine at pep boys of all places, they had the best ceramic with the highest temp. If you live in san diego there is a little place in imperial beach right off the strand that will pass just about anything you bring in there
Old 12-28-2008, 10:10 PM
On The Tree

yes i do live in san diego do you know the name of the shop?

you are going to have to put one in each leg of the y pipe directly in line with each collector

i dont get what you mean. sorry lol im new when it come to smog....
Old 12-28-2008, 10:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

I can't remember the name of the shop but i can tell you with no amount of uncertainty that it was run by a couple of hispanic fellas does that narrow it down??? if you look at the placement of those fake cats that the guy has in the picture a few posts up that is the placement that you are going to have to go with, by one in each leg I just meant that you have to place them before the y pipe goes into a y so essentially you have a cat right behind each header collector before the y-pipe goes into one pipe.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:31 PM
On The Tree

I can't remember the name of the shop but i can tell you with no amount of uncertainty that it was run by a couple of hispanic fellas does that narrow it down??? if you look at the placement of those fake cats that the guy has in the picture a few posts up that is the placement that you are going to have to go with, by one in each leg I just meant that you have to place them before the y pipe goes into a y so essentially you have a cat right behind each header collector before the y-pipe goes into one pipe.
got it the picture up there is that a PaceSetter ORY? and why do they say its an off road y pipe? thanks for all you help
Old 12-28-2008, 10:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

that one doesn't look like a pacesetter but they are similar, the only reason that they are called an off road y is because the don't have catalytic converter so legally in some states they are for off road purposes only...that is the only reason
Old 12-28-2008, 10:44 PM
On The Tree

that one doesn't look like a pacesetter but they are similar, the only reason that they are called an off road y is because the don't have catalytic converter so legally in some states they are for off road purposes only...that is the only reason
will there have to be any moding to the PaceSetter ORY?
Old 12-28-2008, 11:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 95firebird5.7
what did he do for the y pipe since these wont hook up to the stock one?
Bought the y-pipe that goes with it..it's below on your link. He then had cats made up for it.

http://www.herronperformance.com/sto...&productId=211

Quick Reply: can i pass smog with these headers?