LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Is this used car dealer charging me too much for parts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 05:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Is this used car dealer charging me too much for parts?

PLEASE DONT JUST VIEW THIS THREAD AND LEAVE IF YOU HAVE A KNOWLEDGEABLE OPINION! JUST TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK. HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

I know a guy who has a Moroso cold air intake in great condition, Vortec elbow with not even a scratch, and Hypertech power programmer for 94-95 motors. I just met him and talked to him a little while. He sold his 95 trans am and now has a 96' Formula(firehawk clone). He now has no need for the CAI and other stuff. He is a used car dealer so I am not sure how trustworthy he is , these are coming off of his personal car not a car on his lot.

He said he would give me the CAI and elbow for $140 and that would include him driving an hour and bringing it to my door. He said he would sell me all three (HPP, CAI, elbow) for $275....Are both of these good deals or bad deals? I see CAIS and elbows sell for $60 + shipping and elbows sell for $50 +shipping on here sometimes...I have almost all the other boltons and I need to get intake parts. I know Hypertech is usually frowned upon on here and I highly doubt I would buy it because I plan on getting a dyno tune soon and could do all those things + more. Please let me know you thoughts and opinions. -Thanks, Bruce
Old 01-01-2009, 05:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hypertech is just $#!+ . A mail order tune costs about $150, a CAI used is around $100, and an elbow would be around $40-50.
Old 01-01-2009, 05:33 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by brucealmighty744
PLEASE DONT JUST VIEW THIS THREAD AND LEAVE IF YOU HAVE A KNOWLEDGEABLE OPINION! JUST TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK. HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

the CAI and elbow for $140 and that would include him driving an hour and bringing it to my door.
delivered after an hr of driving is ok but $120 would be more fair
He said he would sell me all three (HPP, CAI, elbow) for $275....Are both of these good deals or bad deals? I see CAIS and elbows sell for $60 + shipping and elbows sell for $50 +shipping on here sometimes...I have almost all the other boltons and I need to get intake parts. I know Hypertech is usually frowned upon on here and I highly doubt I would buy it because I plan on getting a dyno tune soon and could do all those things + more. Please let me know you thoughts and opinions. -Thanks, Bruce
your instincts on the hpp are correct ..forget that get a real tune ..good luck and post pics
Old 01-01-2009, 05:34 PM
Teching In

Just compare the prices he's charging to the prices new.

As long as they are in fair condition and fully functional why not.

The HPP is probably a waste of time. I havnt heard much good about them.

I picked up a K&N Cold air intake w/ filter and a 1LE elbow for under 100 bucks shipped. Sometimes you find great deals. It doesnt sound like he's overcharging though.
Old 01-01-2009, 05:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

BTW he was telling me how it was going to be like $20 if he had to ship just the CAI...Doesn't that seem high?
Old 01-01-2009, 05:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks guys. As always, you tell me what I need to hear. I don't think I am being ripped off; I am just not sure I am getting a deal.
Old 01-01-2009, 06:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

As said above, if he is driving an hour to deliver the parts to your door, $140 is not bad. Skip the hypertech.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Alrighty, I will do it than. I am going to offer $130 and see if he bites. He was trying to tell me how the hypertech would make these crazy noticeable gains in performance and then I mentioned you guys on ls1tech and said I heard it was crap...He still believes it is great. Thanks for the advice, I am always looking to save a buck. thanks guys
Old 01-01-2009, 10:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sounds like you have a good deal going. It's not dirt cheap, so I'd make sure it came with the couplers and clamps and stuff. Also, maybe I'm just too nice... but i'd just pay the $140... mainly cause when i'm selling I hate being nickled and dimed. Now if there's some small peices it's missing... then pull the price down.

If he keeps pushing the Hypertech, just tell him you'll need a tune for other stuff that the hypertech can't do, and then there will be no use for it.
For one, he's trying to sell it, so of course it will be good
For two, you just can't sway some people's opinions... probably has the placebo effect from spending so much money on it and you'll never change his mind.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it comes with a resuable filter, I think that's a good deal. Unless you're lucky, you can't usually get just the CAI for under $120, minus shipping. So factor in that you get an elbow too, I think it's good.

The ONLY thing those tuners are good for is changing line pressure (A4), gear ratios for speedo and fan turn on temps.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Poor hypercrap,they sure made a buttload of money on those things..
they are only good for a few things:
tire and or gear swaps-------how times will this occur
harder shifts---------------oooooh wow
160° stat------------------fan control
the rest is well not worth the price especially compared to a mail order tune..

check ebay for the bellow i have seen a few for cheap in the past..
Old 01-01-2009, 10:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

The elbow and CAI is a good deal for sure, especially since he is driving an hour.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hmmm...from what you guys are saying I am getting a better deal than I first thought...I will probably just pay the $140 and say goodbye to those $10 that could have bought me two Cabbage Patch Kids....I guess beggars can't be choosers.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by brucealmighty744
Hmmm...from what you guys are saying I am getting a better deal than I first thought...I will probably just pay the $140 and say goodbye to those $10 that could have bought me two Cabbage Patch Kids....I guess beggars can't be choosers.
Someone in the classifieds is selling a Moroso CAI with a brand new filter for $70 shipped, mite be something to look into.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:06 AM
12 Second Club

Just received a used Moroso CAI kit and 1LE elbow for $60 shipped from a guy on fbody.com. That includes shipping and a K&N filter cleaning and oil kit for the dirty filter. He also threw in TB plate cover. Look around you can find a good deal. I'm not saying your not getting a good deal since it is a savings from buying new, but u might find a better deal elsewhere.
Old 01-02-2009, 02:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, you always can find better deals with digging, but that can take some time. That and I'd rather have the Vortec elbow over the 1LE, I like the air flow 'diverter' (yea yea, not a word I know) in that elbow

Wish I had the spare change to pick up that one Counted mentioned. Necessity over desire though!
Old 01-02-2009, 05:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

You got a killer deal smokinglt1. I still think this is a good deal, but not grandtastic. Thanks for the headsup Countedout...I checked it out and sent him(or her) a PM.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

I am sure I could find it cheaper one day, but I rather not wait(I have been looking for a decent one for a while). Plus I like the polished vortec elbow and for some reason I have my heart set on Moroso and not K&N or SLP etc,

Quick Reply: Is this used car dealer charging me too much for parts?