LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Just got 29 mpg! How!?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 01:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Default Just got 29 mpg! How!?

First of all, on highway drives when I'm taking it easy and doing the speed limit I've always gotten between 22 and 24 mpg. On this trip I drove 287 miles from Redmond, OR to Redding, CA and used 10.3 gallons of gas. I had the cruise set to 60 through Oregon and about 68-69 in California. I had to pass a handful of semi's in 4th or 5th and dropped into 5th for a minute or two going up a hill. The only thing I can think of that was different during this trip than any other was that the kid who filled my tank in Oregon didn't put the gas cap on all the way. He had it on crooked and probably only caught one of the threads.

The lbl and rbl on the scanmaster read 116 and 114 the few times I checked and it was in cel 6. EGR was stuck closed, ccp was at 100.

From Redding to Camarillo which is about 560 miles I got 25 mpg which is still higher than usual, but not my glorious 29. That's with the gas cap on tight. How the heck did I get 29 mpg so I can do it again!?
Old 01-12-2009, 03:26 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you bought the tank of gas in Oregon,the ethanol blend up there might have been the difference (if any ethanol at all).One time in my 4 cyl beater I got 46mpg from the bay area down to Pismo beach out of a car that I normally only see mid 30's out of.The car has never broke 40mpg down here since then and the ethanol was the only feasible explanation in my case.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was it all downhill? I know certain drives I do you get better gas mileage coming back than you do going because you are going uphill for a few hours, then downhill.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:04 AM
TECH Regular

As one poster said, ethanol. Here in Hawaii we had to do a fuel analysis due to some our RHIBs running like crap. Well, come to find out ethanol in gas stations arent monitored and some were up to 50% ethanol. We now purchase "classic" gas which is ethanol free, and is easily obtained at boat docks where boats get there gas. Apparently, marine type engines dont due well with ethanol. But, you will get much better gas mileage.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

you lied lol just kidding
Old 01-12-2009, 08:42 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by AdsoYo
First of all, on highway drives when I'm taking it easy and doing the speed limit I've always gotten between 22 and 24 mpg. On this trip I drove 287 miles from Redmond, OR to Redding, CA and used 10.3 gallons of gas. I had the cruise set to 60 through Oregon and about 68-69 in California. I had to pass a handful of semi's in 4th or 5th and dropped into 5th for a minute or two going up a hill. The only thing I can think of that was different during this trip than any other was that the kid who filled my tank in Oregon didn't put the gas cap on all the way. He had it on crooked and probably only caught one of the threads.

The lbl and rbl on the scanmaster read 116 and 114 the few times I checked and it was in cel 6. EGR was stuck closed, ccp was at 100.

From Redding to Camarillo which is about 560 miles I got 25 mpg which is still higher than usual, but not my glorious 29. That's with the gas cap on tight. How the heck did I get 29 mpg so I can do it again!?

do you live in Cam? I dont know anyone on here that lives by me
Old 01-12-2009, 09:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My friend got about 36mpg in his Vette when he brought it back from Oregon and as he progressively got closer to Minnesota, he was coming into more gas stations with Ethanol mixed gas so his mileage went back down to what it's sticker rating is.

I really hope that Tennessee has very few stations with Ethanol, so I can feel how my car SHOULD perform
Old 01-12-2009, 09:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Formula350
My friend got about 36mpg in his Vette when he brought it back from Oregon and as he progressively got closer to Minnesota, he was coming into more gas stations with Ethanol mixed gas so his mileage went back down to what it's sticker rating is.

I really hope that Tennessee has very few stations with Ethanol, so I can feel how my car SHOULD perform
Yup I'm getting a little over 40mpg here in Oregon J/K

Quick Reply: Just got 29 mpg! How!?