LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

1993 Trans AM possible LS1 BBC or something else.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 10:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation 1993 Trans AM possible LS1 BBC or something else.

I have alot of odd Questions.

First I got this car for next to nothing. It used to be a LT1 M6. So as of now it has 93 pcm, wiring harness, some misc crap that they couldnt sell.

1. I am assuming it is fairly simple to convert it to 94 style pcm and wiring correct? I like the idea of being able to flash tune it. I am also assumeing besides the missing MAF wiring I can reuse the harness and add the MAF wires and plug in the 94 pcm to 93 harness?

2. Now I have a few options for different power plants. I have a 4 bolt main 454 with forged pistons and decent oval ports I was considering putting together for the car. I was also considering keeping the motor injected. And using a plastic vortec distrubutor to replace the opti. And hopefully again use the existing harness with a 94 pcm. But I also want to keep my air conditioning, power steering, and maybe alternator in somewhat stock location. Not sure if that has been done???? I have seen a few big block cars but looks like everyone is gutted and more of a race car then street machine.

3. I also have a line on a 2000 trans am motor and trani A4. He has the wiring harness pcm and all the accessories. As well as the k member rack and steering shaft. I know i need to mod the trans crossmember. The guy with this motor is interested in my big block for his mud buggy. So I may consider trading. Luckily here in florida emissions is non existent at the moment.

4. I also may have a line on a t56. Since my car is an M6 car all I would need is the hydraulic part. But this trans needs to be rebuilt. On all these scenarios i can do the work my self including the rebuild. But where is the best place to get a rebuild kit for t56. And what weakness need to be addressed in the t56. If i have to take it apart. I can upgrade that as well.

I am sure there will be more questions. But between parting out my 94 and the many other things I got going on. Thats all I can think of at the moment.

Thanks in advance
Old 02-20-2009, 10:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1) No. Big difference in the PCM and ECM plugs. Just get the engine harness from a 94, the rest should still work. You'll want to get an M6 again though, unless you go with a non computer controlled trans.

2) Yes, but not with the LT1 computer, but I wouldn't doubt you could with a 89-92 TPI setup, which uses the same computer type as the 93s and damn near (if not the same except for the opti) same harness as them. You'd still be better off getting the whole TPI harness as you'd have a pain trying to wire in the distributor bits. And I'm sure it's been done (BBC in 4th Gen that is), and keeping it looking the same as a SBC, you'd only be able to fool a ricer or someone who doesn't know **** about cars lol Just get the accessory brackets from a 90s BBC.

3) Best and smartest move, also the simplest and most cost effective.

4) The biggest weakness in the T56 is the 10bolt rear end But according to you it "used to be an LT1" so I assume it has no motor. So a trans needing a rebuild is the least of the worries. And they're pretty darn strong, so don't worry.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:27 PM
TECH Addict

Oh I thought of a few more things.

5. Whats the nhra proper way to put the battery in the back on these cars.
Do you just buy a sealed battery container and vent it thru the floor or?Pictures or any info would be nice

6. For the ls motor I know there is bunch of different routes to go for tuning. My buddy bought the jet set up and I like how you can do 4 different vin's. Anyone familar with the jet and have an opion on it?

7. I have seen a few different rear end conversions for these cars as well. dana 60's, 9 inches, 12 bolts. I am considering a 9 inch for ease of gear changeing. Any thoughts?
Old 02-20-2009, 10:29 PM
TECH Addict

Yes I was leaning towards the ls motor. The big block seems to be the biggest pain. But if things dont work out for the ls motor I may just sell the big block and make it a lt1 m6 car again.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

5) Ask Gizmo (He'll hate me for that haha)

6) Yea I don't remember the original name of it, they bought it from someone and apparently their support sucks *** now.

7) Sure, go for it. 9" are pretty indestructible. But why in the hell would you be changing gears that often?
Old 02-20-2009, 10:41 PM
TECH Addict

Well I like to drag race, but I also want to do some standing mile stuff etc.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Most people with cars they drive and drag, just run the same gears M6s love 4.10s and with how insanely low (.75 I think) the 6th gear is, it brings it up to 1.0 or something, like an A4's 4th gear.
Old 02-21-2009, 01:13 PM
TECH Addict

8. t56 rebuild kits. Good place to get them?
Old 03-01-2009, 08:48 PM
TECH Addict

So moving foward on my project. Got a good LT1 T56. Got some magnesium wheels from a c5.
Going with a 11-1 454 with aluminum pro comp heads. and a hydraulic roller cam. Single plane fuel injected intake. Ran off of a ls1 pcm and using the coil per cylinder.

Possibly be putting this 9 bolt out of this 90 i got in the car it has 3.70 gears. Also have this spohn torque arm. going to see if it will fit into the 4th gen.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Make sure to thoroughly document your BBC swap

Good luck!
Old 03-01-2009, 09:10 PM
TECH Addict

I will. I already got the accessories figured out. Going to use the lt1 mount. and run a short bbc vette water pump on one of them electric drives from moroso. I want to retain air conditioning etc.

Can I bolt an ls1 steering rack to an lt1 k member? I read somewhere about clearence before??? If i can run an ls1 rack and shaft that would help with header clearence.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

I know the_merv did, not sure what had to be done though.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:22 AM
TECH Addict

Found It thanks, you know its easier to find stuff by person on this website then by action

Quick Reply: 1993 Trans AM possible LS1 BBC or something else.