LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

electric cut out

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 12:18 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electric cut out

hey guys just got my DMH electric cut out welded in this morning and i'm about to start wiring it up. just wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to what switched power source to use and maybe some photo's of the installed switch and what not would be cool thanks!
Old 02-28-2009, 12:20 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ahhh so you ended up buying one after we chatted from a while back huh! Nice bro post up some vids when it's done.
Old 02-28-2009, 12:23 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Elliott's94Z
Ahhh so you ended up buying one after we chatted from a while back huh! Nice bro post up some vids when it's done.
Yea finally got around to getting one and i cant wait to get it all installed. I'll have to get a video off of a digital cam, but will def do so after its all wired up!

Just more wondering what "switched" power source to use and where some people have mounted the switch.
Old 02-28-2009, 12:25 PM
Banned

Mounted mine inside the ashtray cause I don't blow smoke
Old 02-28-2009, 12:33 PM
12 Second Club

Mounted mine inside the ashtray cause I don't blow smoke
good idea! where did you enter the car with the wire? im totally clueless as to how to get the wire inside the car. . .

and also what 'switched' power source did you use?
Old 02-28-2009, 12:53 PM
TECH Junkie

you could probably take power from the cig lighter. if not the fuse panel isnt hard to get to or get a wire from. i think there are afew empty slots
Old 02-28-2009, 03:22 PM
On The Tree

tapping into the accessory power supply (or cig lighter power supply -however you want to look at it) is pretty common for cutout power. Off the top of my head I don't remember whether that's a switched source or not but it really doesn't matter, it's not using power unless you're hitting the button.

As far as how to get into the car with the power wire from the cutout, very near where you probably have your cutout there is a black rubber plug about an inch and a half or so in diameter in the floorboard beneath the carpet. you can see it (and others like it if your cutout is somewhere different than most) looking under the car. I used the one in the passenger rear floorboard since it ended up a very short distance from my cutout. Just pull it out and cut a slit from the middle out and you can slip the wire in it and then put the plug back in.

Then the wiring can be ran up under the carpet and under the console if you are putting your switch somewhere around the console/central lower dash area. You may need/want to pull the passenger seat out (which is very quick and easy) so that the console and carpet can be raised a little and you've got some room to work to fish the wire up under the console if you go that route. I was able to reach through the opening in the carpet for the rear seat buckets to get to the wire as it came into the car and then fish it up under the console area where there is another carpet opening to grab the wire again. probably don't need to say it but make sure to keep the wire just under the edge of the console and not draped over and around the shifter etc.

If DMH is still using the generic white non-weatherproof, non-locking electrical plug right near the cutout, you may want to wrap it with some electrical tape to keep it from coming unplugged and just to keep it from getting too grimey since, at least on mine, the connector sits outside the car. Probably not necessary, but I felt better about it when I did that on my install. My DMH is several years old now so they may have changed that whole setup though.
Old 02-28-2009, 03:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 203 Likes on 143 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

^Good info, also there is a extra slot in the fuse block. Just crimp a spade connector on the end of the wire and plug it in.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:25 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Fbody4Ever
tapping into the accessory power supply (or cig lighter power supply -however you want to look at it) is pretty common for cutout power. Off the top of my head I don't remember whether that's a switched source or not but it really doesn't matter, it's not using power unless you're hitting the button.

As far as how to get into the car with the power wire from the cutout, very near where you probably have your cutout there is a black rubber plug about an inch and a half or so in diameter in the floorboard beneath the carpet. you can see it (and others like it if your cutout is somewhere different than most) looking under the car. I used the one in the passenger rear floorboard since it ended up a very short distance from my cutout. Just pull it out and cut a slit from the middle out and you can slip the wire in it and then put the plug back in.

Then the wiring can be ran up under the carpet and under the console if you are putting your switch somewhere around the console/central lower dash area. You may need/want to pull the passenger seat out (which is very quick and easy) so that the console and carpet can be raised a little and you've got some room to work to fish the wire up under the console if you go that route. I was able to reach through the opening in the carpet for the rear seat buckets to get to the wire as it came into the car and then fish it up under the console area where there is another carpet opening to grab the wire again. probably don't need to say it but make sure to keep the wire just under the edge of the console and not draped over and around the shifter etc.

If DMH is still using the generic white non-weatherproof, non-locking electrical plug right near the cutout, you may want to wrap it with some electrical tape to keep it from coming unplugged and just to keep it from getting too grimey since, at least on mine, the connector sits outside the car. Probably not necessary, but I felt better about it when I did that on my install. My DMH is several years old now so they may have changed that whole setup though.

thanks thats exactly what i was looking for! but i actually had a co-worker [electrical engineer who loves cars] comes over and help me out, we ran it up thru the center column where the shifter is, there is already a whole there that we up plugged and ran it thru, the button is actually in-place of the cigarrette lighter now and looks damn near stock. So no more cigarette lighter, only a open closed switch

if you guys want a good, but long read, check out my kill story in the SR&K section its a good one!

Still need to get a video sorry, GF has the camera
Old 03-01-2009, 10:51 AM
12 Second Club

Nice write ups,,Ill be doing a DMH in a couple weeks. What length of cable did you order from DMH?
Old 03-01-2009, 12:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PNYKLR-TA
thanks thats exactly what i was looking for! but i actually had a co-worker [electrical engineer who loves cars] comes over and help me out, we ran it up thru the center column where the shifter is, there is already a whole there that we up plugged and ran it thru, the button is actually in-place of the cigarrette lighter now and looks damn near stock. So no more cigarette lighter, only a open closed switch

if you guys want a good, but long read, check out my kill story in the SR&K section its a good one!

Still need to get a video sorry, GF has the camera
That's how I ran mine too bro. Glad you like it. Sweet little piece. Let's see some videos of you scaring people on the road now

Originally Posted by dlk1950
Nice write ups,,Ill be doing a DMH in a couple weeks. What length of cable did you order from DMH?
They are already cut to to size/length.
Old 03-01-2009, 12:42 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks, I was just wondering ,order form had block for lenght of cable needed.
Old 03-01-2009, 12:49 PM
Banned

Really? I just called up and talked with him on the phone and placed my order there. He never asked me anything about if I needed a particular length. Maybe you should call him up. Really nice guy.
Old 03-01-2009, 12:59 PM
12 Second Club

Really? I just called up and talked with him on the phone and placed my order there. He never asked me anything about if I needed a particular length. Maybe you should call him up. Really nice guy.
Thats what I'll do..Thanks again
Old 03-01-2009, 03:44 PM
Launching!

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

I had mine temporarily hooked up to the positive and negative under the hood and last night my wiring harness decided to have a small electrical fire. Now I have to go get a new wiring harness and I guess figure out a new way to hook it up. It is unbelieveably loud with the cutout open though. I can't wait to get that new harness and open her up.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:58 PM
Launching!

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Fbody4Ever

Thanks man. I could not figure out how to get the wire from the cutout to the inside and I read this and it took me about 10 minutes to do it all.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:20 AM
12 Second Club

Exactly what i did, couple days later box was at my door!

That's how I ran mine too bro. Glad you like it. Sweet little piece. Let's see some videos of you scaring people on the road now

i know man right!? i need to get the effin camera from my ex. . . didnt know she snagged it its gunna be like pulling teeth
Old 03-03-2009, 09:24 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by sw07gt
It is unbelieveably loud with the cutout open though. I can't wait to get that new harness and open her up.
it is ridiculous loud! everytime i go by a harley who is loud as all hell, i open that biotch up and show them what 8 cyliners sound like without a muffler they always turn and stare like WTF does that thing got in it!?

and just the other night after i installed it, i was rolling around with it open. i had about 4 people comment on how 'good, loud, intimidating' it was!
Old 03-03-2009, 10:11 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by PNYKLR-TA
Exactly what i did, couple days later box was at my door!

i know man right!? i need to get the effin camera from my ex. . . didnt know she snagged it its gunna be like pulling teeth
Gotta love Ex Girlfriends Well once you get it back lets see some vids bro.

Quick Reply: electric cut out