LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

VATS Bypass...Still Having Problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 07:09 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default VATS Bypass...Still Having Problems

I went ahead and had my mechanic do the VATS bypass, I no longer get the annoying SECURITY light indicator and a no-start. But, after a couple of days of no problems, the car will start, run for about 5 seconds and then dies; I'm also getting the SECURITY light indicator.

To me it sounds like it's cutting off the fuel supply and that something was missed on the bypass?
Old 02-24-2009, 09:57 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

What was done for the bypass?
Old 02-24-2009, 06:52 PM
On The Tree

Possible the BCM is failing, on my 96 camaro the BCM stopped sending signal to the PCM even though the rest of the VATS was working. I ordered a programmed PCM with the VATS turned off from MadZ to cure my problem.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:33 PM
On The Tree

Try dropping your glove box door and the panel underneath then feel around ,up and to the right. You'll find two relays, one feeds the VATS system after the BCM and I forget what the other one does, but they are identical. Swap those relays and see what you get.
The fuel shut off is normal when the vats is activated
Good Luck
BobH
Old 02-25-2009, 11:20 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the tips/advice everyone. Of course, the car hasn't given me any problems for the past couple of days.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by BobH
Try dropping your glove box door and the panel underneath then feel around ,up and to the right. You'll find two relays, one feeds the VATS system after the BCM and I forget what the other one does, but they are identical. Swap those relays and see what you get.
The fuel shut off is normal when the vats is activated
Good Luck
BobH
If the starter cranks, it's not related to the TDR by the glovebox (the other relay is for the hatch release).

Unless we know what year car he has, we don't know that it has a BCM.

When people want help, they should start with at least basic car info.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by shbox
If the starter cranks, it's not related to the TDR by the glovebox (the other relay is for the hatch release).

Unless we know what year car he has, we don't know that it has a BCM.

When people want help, they should start with at least basic car info.
You're absolutely correct, my error for not including it. It's a 94 Z28 M6. For the past couple of days it's been fine; I've got an open line to my mechanic so when it rears it ugly head again I'll have him take a look at it.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:10 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If your security light is on and the starter won't crank when it acts up, shutting VATS off in the PCM won't help. That only helps if it starts and dies when you release the key. My '98 TA started doing that. If I let it sit until the security light went back out and it would normally start. That is often fixed by replacing the wire and contact that goes down the steering column from the lock cylinder up top where the ign key goes. I forget where the other end plugs in, it was about four years ago, and I'm old. :-(

The GM parts guy will know what you are talking about, mine told me it's a very common problem with these cars. Not expensive, just a pain in the rear.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Ed Wright
If your security light is on and the starter won't crank when it acts up, shutting VATS off in the PCM won't help. That only helps if it starts and dies when you release the key. My '98 TA started doing that. If I let it sit until the security light went back out and it would normally start. That is often fixed by replacing the wire and contact that goes down the steering column from the lock cylinder up top where the ign key goes. I forget where the other end plugs in, it was about four years ago, and I'm old. :-(

The GM parts guy will know what you are talking about, mine told me it's a very common problem with these cars. Not expensive, just a pain in the rear.
Or in that situation, you can bypass the reading of the key with a resistor.

Quick Reply: VATS Bypass...Still Having Problems