LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

water pump shaft seal

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 02:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water pump shaft seal

im in the process of replacing the seals on the timing cover (had oil running down from behind the opti)

my question is does the cover need to come off to replace the seal on the shaft the WP gos on. i think the big seal around the cam was the one leaking...but i want to replace this to just to be sure. don't want to tear it apart again

thanks
Old 03-22-2009, 04:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Timing cover does not have to be removed.

...some help...
Old 03-22-2009, 05:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

^^^^

and the WP & Opti seals install "dry", no grease. Crank hub seal grease.

The WP drive seal will leak if installed wrong. Typically due to seal lip being folded back. Of course there is a "special tool" but you can just use a socket just .x" larger than the shaft the seal slides on. Slide the new seal by starting with the socket entering the seal from the top (this direction keeps the seal lip from folding over). Then transfer the seal from socket by holding socket against WP drive shaft. Once you get the seal started, tap in with small malet.

I've been told a cap from a "Sharpie" pen can be used as a tool.

edit

the link in shbox says it all
Old 03-22-2009, 06:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by shbox
Timing cover does not have to be removed.

...some help...
THAT is the way to do it. I tried a socket and it was still a PITA. The sharpie is perfect. And don't install the WP seal dry. Coat the inside and the sharpie with oil, or you WILL tear it. The outside should be dry though.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:21 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I used a socket, and it worked pretty well.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:29 PM
TECH Regular

Actually the water pump drive itself works perfectly, just bend the outer lip on the seal out and slide it onto the drive (on the smooth side of course) slide it over the drive and then transfer the seal over.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:41 PM
TECH Addict

I would'nt trust a seal that important to slide over a rusted shaft I'd rather use a socket or sharpie pen cap.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:44 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by buffman
I would'nt trust a seal that important to slide over a rusted shaft I'd rather use a socket or sharpie pen cap.
Good point, mine was pretty clean and I cleaned it up b/f I did this. I was smooth and as good as new.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used a hacked off CO2 cartidge from a pellet gun as a seal resizer, worked ****!!!!

Mike
Old 03-24-2009, 11:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Spartan7
And don't install the WP seal dry. Coat the inside and the sharpie with oil, or you WILL tear it. The outside should be dry though.
....ah Sir those 2 seals are "teflon" and need to be installed "dry". Coating the seal surface with oil will make it prone if not certainly cause a leak.

I believe there is a insert in the FelPro TC gasket set stating install dry as well.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ******
....ah Sir those 2 seals are "teflon" and need to be installed "dry". Coating the seal surface with oil will make it prone if not certainly cause a leak.

I believe there is a insert in the FelPro TC gasket set stating install dry as well.
All 3 seals in the timing cover will leak if they were lubed with oil during the install? I installed the seals w/ the cover off of the block. I put oil on the seals, then I saw the insert in the Felpro box. I tried wiping the oil off before installing.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:28 PM
TECH Regular

The oil isn't going to be the problem if you installed the top seal then bolted it up. I didn't realize and when I was new to LT1's I did that and it will 100% pop the top water pump seal. You can install the bottom 2 then put it on and install the top one. The oil, if you cleaned it off I wouldn't lose any sleep over though.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I install the bottom two, then install the water pump seal once the cover is on. I wrapped electrical tape around the water pump driveshaft (just enough to get the seal to line up with the thick end of the driveshaft) slipped the seal to that little lip just before the thick part then wacked it on with a garden hose coupler and a hammer. It's a tricky seal because the metal will form to the WP driveshaft as you install it and it's very soft and easy to damage.

The first time I installed it I tried to put the WP seal on first and damaged it when installing the cover. Big learning curve with LT1s.

Quick Reply: water pump shaft seal