LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

52mm vs 58mm throttle body

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 09:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 52mm vs 58mm throttle body

Looking into getting rid of my stock TB and upgrading. Looking at the 58mm and see that it says you have to match ports? looks like the 52mm just bolts right on. Both are almost the same price. Any advice would be great. I have the cold air intake set up with the air foils and the whole gammit. Just added larger MAF and want to finish.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes you need to port the intake for 58mm. No, you don't need a 52 OR 58mm. Save $300 and buy the LTs right now.

Oh, and do a search next time

NEXT?!
Old 03-27-2009, 09:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Stop buying the wrong mods and do research first.

Your MAF "upgrade" was a mistake.

aftermarket 52mm are a mistake. If you want a 52mm which is not really worthwhile yet for you then have a stocker rebored. ALL the aftermarket TBs have issues and require modification to the actual TB to work right, making a rebored stocker a far better choice if staying 52-54mm. For 58mm you have to go aftermarket and deal with the issues.

Not the answer you wanted but is an answer from someone who has been tinkering with this platform for 9 years and has three LT1 cars in his driveway so I might just have a clue.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Formula350
Yes you need to port the intake for 58mm. No, you don't need a 52 OR 58mm. Save $300 and buy the LTs right now.

Oh, and do a search next time

NEXT?!
+1....Headers are a must, they make your car sound absolutely awesome!
Old 03-27-2009, 09:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No benefit at your power level.

Go with the LTs.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about my car, would I gain anything with a 52mm TB?
Old 03-27-2009, 09:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

On the spray, probably. On motor, not so much. Maybe a handful.
Old 03-28-2009, 02:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
On the spray, probably. On motor, not so much. Maybe a handful.
+1 It'd be a fairly worthwhile mod for your spraying. Give ya a bit better throttle response NA as well.
Old 03-28-2009, 07:31 AM
11 Second Club

Why do you guys think a bigger TB is more worthwhile on spray than it is NA?
Old 03-28-2009, 07:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

It's just speculation to be honest Cap, and without doing any research on it personally, I don't know for sure. Which is why I'm not speaking in absolute. Can't really hurt during that scenario.
Old 03-28-2009, 10:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Why do you guys think a bigger TB is more worthwhile on spray than it is NA?
It's not because he's spraying, it's because spraying is adding addition HP. It puts him @ 460, so a 52 couldn't hurt.
Old 03-28-2009, 10:19 AM
TECH Regular

aftermarket 52mm are a mistake. If you want a 52mm which is not really worthwhile yet for you then have a stocker rebored. ALL the aftermarket TBs have issues and require modification to the actual TB to work right, making a rebored stocker a far better choice if staying 52-54mm. For 58mm you have to go aftermarket and deal with the issues.

Not the answer you wanted but is an answer from someone who has been tinkering with this platform for 9 years and has three LT1 cars in his driveway so I might just have a clue.
Wow I couldn't have said this much better myself, I love how I sign on here hoping for some glimmer of new ideas or parts and then am smacked in the face by the continueing reruning of old BAD ideas all of which were covered 15 years ago when these cars came out....
Your Stock MAF is more than fine for your power level and most if not all aftermarket "larger" ones just make the car harder to tune correctly, and same thing for the TB, there is several decent companies out there that do the boring of the stocker correctly, as stated above 54mm is the max, if you need something bigger than that its because you've upgrade everything on the car possible and/or larger displacement and if ur at that point you should probably be answering questions on here not asking the same old ones over and over again....
Rant over, time for more coffee...
Old 03-28-2009, 10:24 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Explain your comment of why ALL aftermarket TB's have issues and why upgrading the MAF is a mistake. I'm well aware of some issues but others may not be and I think it would be better to inform people of what to look out for rather then just make the statements you did. And not "ALL" aftermarket TB's have issues and require mods to work right. I myself can tell you right now that is incorrect being I have ran several and not all required modifying.
Old 03-28-2009, 11:06 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Formula350
It's not because he's spraying, it's because spraying is adding addition HP. It puts him @ 460, so a 52 couldn't hurt.
The extra power comes from displacing some of the air that is roughly 20% oxygen with nitrous oxide which is more like 33% oxygen. Basically the same volume of gasses being pulled in just the N2O allows you to burn more fuel because it has more oxygen than atmospheric air. So the TB is no more or less of a restriction on the bottle than it is NA.

Far as MAFs and TBs, things like Granatelli flat out lie to the pcm to try and trick the overly rich factory settings into leaning out a little, FAR better to reprog4ram the pcm for the right AFR than to lie to it about airflow to try and get the right AFR. Ed Wright tested on his over 500rwhp NA monster and found single digit power in deleteing a stock MAF in favor of speed density and I trust he tuned it very well before and after seeing as he is the original LT1 tuning guru and been tuning longer than most of us have been alive.

On the TBs far as I know NONE of the aftermarket ones come drilled for the IAC bypass, some of them have channels cut that defeat the IAC circuit in the manifold too. The BBKs whistle, the Holleys stock, ASM are beautiful pieces very well made but I believe they are one that defeats the IAC circuit which definetely affect idle quality. All of that can be worked around but is extra work you have to do. So if staying 52mm it makes a whole lot more sense to spend $100+ LESS and not have any of those issues by having a stock TB rebored. Some places even manage 54mm out of a stocker.

In all this I am staying out of the "is a bigger TB worth it?" So don't try and figure out where I stand on the subject from what I wrote here.

Far as using aftermarket TBs without modification, sure lots of guys do, but they are usually the ones who don't take the time to understand things fully.

Here is a page on some of the issues common to aftermarket TBs.
http://members.***.net/chipsbyal/page/idle/index.html

If anyone knows of an aftermarket TB that preserves proper function of the IAC circuit please share.
Old 03-28-2009, 12:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

The extra power comes from displacing some of the air that is roughly 20% oxygen with nitrous oxide which is more like 33% oxygen. Basically the same volume of gasses being pulled in just the N2O allows you to burn more fuel because it has more oxygen than atmospheric air. So the TB is no more or less of a restriction on the bottle than it is NA.
I admit, I didn't think about/factor in that aspect of it Thanks
Old 03-28-2009, 01:25 PM
TECH Veteran

On a bolt-on car I did not need any mods for my PP/Summit tb to idle properly.

Once I put heads and a cam on it though, I had to drill and isolate the IAC. When I changed to the trick AS&M piece I still needed to drill and isolate the hole. The IAC passages don't care if you have a ported stocker or $500+ billet piece-it wants the factory IAC setup to be intact.

Neither had any problems sticking, but that needs to be looked at as well with an aftermarket TB. For most people the hassles outweight the benefits and a ported stocker with an airfoil is more then enough.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by multmigs
Wow I couldn't have said this much better myself, I love how I sign on here hoping for some glimmer of new ideas or parts and then am smacked in the face by the continueing reruning of old BAD ideas all of which were covered 15 years ago when these cars came out....
Your Stock MAF is more than fine for your power level and most if not all aftermarket "larger" ones just make the car harder to tune correctly, and same thing for the TB, there is several decent companies out there that do the boring of the stocker correctly, as stated above 54mm is the max, if you need something bigger than that its because you've upgrade everything on the car possible and/or larger displacement and if ur at that point you should probably be answering questions on here not asking the same old ones over and over again....
Rant over, time for more coffee...
1st of all I appreciate everyones honesty and while I may be newer (only a year or so) in these forums and still learning, I do research to a point. I searched these forums with those keywords and recieved 287 pages of posts and didn't have 6 days to go through them. I can understand the frustration as I know where your coming from in other forums with other trades.

Anyhow, I just completed the LT and ORY pipe and a tune is coming next week. After reading through your helpful posts, I realize that unless im doing some additional engine mods, there is no need for more air.

Quick Reply: 52mm vs 58mm throttle body