LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

What else to replace while replacing opti and waterpump in a B-body?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 01:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default What else to replace while replacing opti and waterpump in a B-body?

I'm gonna do my Dad a favor and replace his opti and waterpump on his 1996 Buick Roadmaster. The waterpump just started leaking and we all know it is only a matter of time until it kills the opti too. But as for now it is still running so I have some time left.

Obviously I have an LT1 too but when my opti went bad I just replaced the cam and everything while I was in there. This will be my Dad's stock, daily driven, 141K mile car so he does not need any of that. Basically what I'm wondering is what would be good preventive maintenance while it's all apart but also keep it kind of cheap since I am paying out of my pocket.

I already have it planned to replace the opti and waterpump obviously. I'm also gonna buy a new opti harness and the vent hoses if I can find them. If you know where to get the vent hoses please let me know! Just for fun I'm thinking I might make a home made CAI too. Also I'm gonna purchase a Fel-Pro timing cover gasket set since it has the opti and pump seals for me to use. Think it is worth it to replace the timing cover gasket as well? I really don't want to risk tearing the oil pan gasket and having it leak like my T/A did after the cam swap but I'll do it if I have to. I'll also pull the coil and ICM to have it tested just to be sure it is up to par. BTW plugs and wires are already new, not even a year on those. Anything else though? Timing chain, any other sensors possibly?
Old 04-02-2009, 05:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd say on the mileage you gave I'd pull the front cover completely off to put the new seals in and probably due a oil pan gasket at the same time. Only other things I'd consider would be intake manifold related. So that depends if you want to get involved in pulling that, on a B body I don't think its that bad and you could prevent a rear oil leak by doing it not to mention just cleaning everything up, I'd personally change all the injector O rings which is like $20 tops and the vacuum hoses you already mentioned. Wouldn't hurt to change the Coolant temp sensors, there are 2 and the oil pressure sending unit. All these things may be funciontiong fine but you may break them in removal and they are the type of $15 parts that leave you stranded by the side of the road with a car that needs towing when you least expect it. Only other thing I would look at is the oil cooler lines/gaskets notorious B body leakers again
Old 04-02-2009, 07:01 PM
TECH Addict

I'm just trying to keep this as cheap as possible since I am paying out of my own pocket for him. This is why I don't want to pull more than I have to. As for now it barely leaks a couple drops of oil a night and it comes from the front of the motor. I just can't tell because the front of the motor is covered in tons of gunk from who knows what. It has to old though because it is never freshly wet.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:19 PM
Launching!

thats pretty much everything you can do.. maybe check chain for slack and replace that..clean everytihng around it up.

now we've replaced my dad's buick roadmaster's cam with a cc306...lets see if he notices the difference...
Old 04-02-2009, 09:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Toss in a new chain while you are at it, it's good for added insurance. I did opti, EWP, vacuum hoses, seals, oil pump gasket, timing chain, and MSD wires all at once.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:22 AM
TECH Addict

If anyone has any of these parts please PM me! Oh and I prefer that they work.

1.vented opti
2.Opti vent tubes and check valves
3.vented opti harness
Old 04-03-2009, 09:39 AM
TECH Regular

Dude all those parts you listed you really should be buying new, the Opti is avail on ebay from some person listed as "the Opti Lady" and the vac hoses are still avail new from GM, try www.monsterpartsonline.com if ur local dealership is 2$$$ the part numbers are all listed at the impalassforum.com
Old 04-03-2009, 11:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by multmigs
Dude all those parts you listed you really should be buying new, the Opti is avail on ebay from some person listed as "the Opti Lady" and the vac hoses are still avail new from GM, try www.monsterpartsonline.com if ur local dealership is 2$$$ the part numbers are all listed at the impalassforum.com
"thepartsladi", NOT the opti ladi, lol.

You can get a new opti vacuum harness and electrical harness from Summit. Or you can ask "thepartsladi" if they have it in stock.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:08 PM
TECH Addict

i would defiantly change the timing cover gasket and front seal, if it is not leaking it wont be long before it starts
Old 04-03-2009, 12:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

it is rare the TC gasket or pan gasket leak. Typically WP drive seal and intake manifold.

While changeing the TC and pan gasket is not a bad idea....great deal of work and if not done RIGHT you will have leaks you most likely don't have now.

Since the Opti & WP are being replaced...spray cleaner on front of engine and then drive the car some. "Source" of the leak should be easier to find once you pull the WP & Opti.

Beyond your service intents replace O2's, clean TB, put injector cleaner in tank, replace fuel filter.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

What? All of those seals leak regularly on high mileage LT's.
The oil pan gasket and timing cover were the first ones to leak on mine.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ASaleen
What? All of those seals leak regularly on high mileage LT's.
The oil pan gasket and timing cover were the first ones to leak on mine.
not saying they don't leak, but the other seals/gaskets I noted are WAY more common for leaks.

The OP needs to confirm WTF the leaks are coming from...or blindly replace everything.

If the "front" of the engine is covered in oil/grime....that would indicate leak is "above" pan gasket.

WP/Opti swap with TC seals is one thing...swaping TC gasket and pan gasket is a MUCH bigger job...with motor in the car.

My $.02 is to confirm where the leak is coming from first and then take necessary action. If the TC gasket and pan gasket are not leaking...not worth replaceing on a motor that is in the car IMHO.

Quick Reply: What else to replace while replacing opti and waterpump in a B-body?