LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Emergency!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 03:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Born/Raised North East, MD Lived in VA, NC, MI Back in Yorktown, Va
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Emergency!!

i think either my fuel system is bad or my ign. is bad. here is the story, my car will just randomly shut off. and not wanna start back up for a few minutes after a lot of cranks. and the car will missfire sometimes and other times it will be fine. it doesnt happen at any specific time. so here is what ive done. i have a brand new ign. coil, ign module, fuel filter. the MSD opti cap and rotor has less then 3k on it. plugs the same. and the wires are a lil older. injectors, FP regulator and pump and stock from about 100k i believe. im about to go check my injectors to make sure they are getting the right voltage because on two injectors when i pulled the connector off them the motor didnt act any different.

does anyone know what kind of voltage i should see? please hurry
Old 04-08-2009, 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

o yea before when it wouldnt start i sprayed starting fluid in the flaps and it didnt fire. so thats making me think is something ign wise. but its got new plugs coil module and opti. just not wires. does anyone think its the worse as what i think?
Old 04-08-2009, 03:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ignition switch could be bad. Mine did funny things like start on only 3 or 4 cylinders. If you turn the key forward to when its about to start cranking and your Dash lights(engine ect.) go out thats a good indication it the switch. I've read and had a friend with a Jimmy that it would just quit and after MANY tries start again. There cheap but hard to get at. Here's a link to a great How To site: http://shbox.com/ignsw/ign_switch_repl.html

Good luck.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:25 PM
TECH Addict

the ignition switch is really pretty easy to change, just not very comfortable being on your back on the door hump
Old 04-08-2009, 08:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by djjab57
the ignition switch is really pretty easy to change, just not very comfortable being on your back on the door hump
HAHAHAH ive been there a few times. thanks guys ill check that out. i found a ground wire that was corroded and broke. so ima rewire it and see if it helps. also some injector cleaner and higher octane to see if maybe the injectors were clogged or anything like that. when i replaced the Fuel Filter the first lil bit of fuel looked almost brown. then it came out clear. like it was really dirty. so i dont suppose pulling the pump and replacing that. and has anyone ever cleaned, flushed, or vaccuumed out their tank? maybe there is some sediments in there. idk how but any chance of that?
Old 04-08-2009, 09:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

changing the ignition switch is gaaaaay, my back hurt for a day laying upsidedown in my seat

especially when you're stranded in a parking lot changing it at 8+ p.m.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by myltwon
changing the ignition switch is gaaaaay, my back hurt for a day laying upsidedown in my seat

especially when you're stranded in a parking lot changing it at 8+ p.m.
o0o0o0o0o0o0o0 no bro damn that sucks. luckily ill be able to lay a pillow down on my back lol. but everyone is thinking that it might be my ign switch. i havent done the lil test thingy yet. and will i have to get a specific cylinder because oof the VATS???
Old 04-09-2009, 05:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check battery connections and grounds first! Sounds like that to me, as its happened before heh
Old 04-09-2009, 10:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Formula350
Check battery connections and grounds first! Sounds like that to me, as its happened before heh
well i found a ground. the one right on the front by the coil/module, was all corroded. i pulled the bolt out. ran a thread saver threw the block, took the bolt to a wire wheel and put a new wire end on the wires and still nothing.

im about to go check everything you guys have said and ill let ya know it anything changed.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:19 AM
On The Tree

mine did this when it was real cold out.. i was runnin wayyy to cold of plugs and the extra fuel that was being put into the engine because of it being cold was causing it to crank, run for about five seconds, shut off and not crank for AWHILE.. idk what your climate is like or what plugs youre running just thought this might help.
Old 04-09-2009, 05:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

well the car was fine untill it warmed up. well i replaced my wires today and the missfire is gone. so i gues the wires were just shot. but it hasnt shut off on me in the last day or so, so im just gonna consider myself lucky and just wait for it to happen again.
Old 04-09-2009, 05:48 PM
TECH Addict

Glad you got her fixed
Old 04-09-2009, 05:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1slo_camaro
well the car was fine untill it warmed up. well i replaced my wires today and the missfire is gone. so i gues the wires were just shot. but it hasnt shut off on me in the last day or so, so im just gonna consider myself lucky and just wait for it to happen again.
mmm Yea. I really need to do wires on mine too. She stumbles at idle (in P or at a light) and it makes her seem unhealthy heh Glad it's working now though, could've been a bad wire that just went totally bad, taking you from mis-fire to NO-fire.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks guys.

but yea thats what i was thinking but i just cant fathom how 1 plug/wire being garbage would shut the car off.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1slo_camaro
thanks guys.

but yea thats what i was thinking but i just cant fathom how 1 plug/wire being garbage would shut the car off.
Grounding perhaps and shorting (see: tripping) the pcm causing it to kill the car. I mention tripping because I figured they'd have a failsafe for something like overvoltage that would shut the car off to keep from damaging anything else. Then again a spark is just a few volts over the 14 the system runs at

Quick Reply: Emergency!!