LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Need help with 355 budget build

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 06:24 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with 355 budget build

Im thinking I want to rebuild my motor. Current set up consist of stock bottom and Top end and has 94,000 miles on it. Right now it has a CC306 cam with supporting mods and all bolt ons Dynoing at a ball park of 355RWHP. This would definitly be a Budget Build so Im thinking a 355 build would be the best/least expensive. My goal is 450RWHP for the car and I need some help getting there.

I Have no Idea what I need to do this build. Can yall please help me with a detailed list of parts that I would need and a ball park figure on what its going to cost to accomplish my goal.

I wish I was more experienced in this department so I didnt have to ask but unfortunitly IM NOT so any help is great. I believe your retain the stock Crank for this build but im thinking everything else would be new so might as well go Aftermarket Crank. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your help

sean
Old 04-18-2009, 07:06 PM
Teching In

To reach 450 at the wheels you are gonna need very good heads and a big camshaft to go with them. That is where you need to spend your money. As far as the bottom end you can keep your stock crankshaft but you will probably want to get some quality aftermarket rods. If you don't ever plan on using nitrous you can use hyperuetic pistons to save some money.
Old 04-18-2009, 07:24 PM
On The Tree

Not sure "budget" and "450RWHP LT1" can be in the same sentence. Mine does 449 to the tire and it wasnt easy, for me anyways
Old 04-18-2009, 07:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nichols92
Not sure "budget" and "450RWHP LT1" can be in the same sentence. Mine does 449 to the tire and it wasnt easy, for me anyways
/thread

There is no way to build a REMOTELY cheap 355 that will do 450rwhp. Best bet if you are truely on a relatively tight budget is to do an LE1 setup on aftermarket forged slugs, reconned stocked rods and stock crank and the supporting valvetrain, but you will be quite a bit shy of 450rw.
Old 04-18-2009, 07:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea, 450 rear is approximately (for an A4) 560hp flywheel. Budget will work, but not for very long

Here's my opinion on the matter (yep, look out!): You only have 94K miles on the car! Yes, only, because LTx and newer motors last well over 150K while still being as strong as 90K I'd say that you should take the money you'd spend now on the rebuild and either get some really nice heads or send yours to AI or LE for heavy work to be done. Then you've at least gotten your heads ready for the 550+ HP build you are wanting to do. Seeing as you're already doing 355 with just a cam (which is really nice), I'd think the heads should put you at least in the 375hp area. I'd like to say more, but I really don't have the knowledge to say what it could make with a really nice set of heads! That should tide you over and let you save up more money and build the beast motor to RELIABLY make the 450rwhp you want, presumably w/o NOS or Forced Induction. If you don't mind going forced, then you could probably get away with having your motor re-ringed with quality rings, as from what I've seen stock LT1s do @ 420~rwhp under boost is they eventually get bad blow-by which means rebuild time I bet some SCAT I/H-Beam rods at the same time couldn't hurt and be a cheap, albeit slight, upgrade to stock rods.

But again, just this guys opinion
Old 04-18-2009, 08:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont rebuild the motor if its fine, spend the money on a badass head n cam package and make well over 400whp.

Replace the oil and water pump.........

DONE!!!!
Old 04-18-2009, 11:00 PM
12 Second Club

LOL sorry I meant budget but yet Ive probably dumped close to 7,000 into the entire car already so funds are now tight. Im guessing 355rwhp b/c I dynoed the car on a MUSTANG Dyno and it Dynoed a 338RWHP 323TQ which is conservative from what Im being told.

As for current set up I got Hardened pushrods, Lunati Lifters, Comp 1.6/1.5 split full rollers, Already have a huge cam in that of the CC306 544/540 Lift, LTS, True Duels, bbk 52mm, free mods, Moroso Cold Air intake, Meizere EWP, MSD 8.5's, Accel opti and coil, RAM HD CLUTCH, Motive 3.73's, Zexel Torsen Unit. Dyno TUNED. All on stock pump,injectors,manifold,heads,and bottom end.

I Had NOS but decided not to use it, so Im thinking I need something else to get my power without blowing her sky high. Turbos and Supercharges are WAAAAYYY out of my budget so those are not an option. Heads and Intake my be do-able at some point.

Only reason I was thinking bottom end 355 was because I think the kit is around $600 or so. But since yall are saying to leave the bottom end alone I just focus elsewhere. Any Ideas on Next Mod? Ported Intake? Heads?(which heads would work best with the cam I have) ect ect.

Thanks guys hope to hear more input.

sean
Old 04-19-2009, 08:03 AM
Launching!

best wa y to find hp is trapped mph and weight!

Quick Reply: Need help with 355 budget build