LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Help wiring a LT1 in street rod

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 10:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help wiring a LT1 in street rod

I'm not sure where this goes, but this is really the only place it fits in...

I've got a lt1 with a 4l60E in a '38 chrysler that i'm building. time has come to wire the motor (have original computer) so i bought a wiring harness from haywireinc over a year ago and finally got the car ready to wire. (frame off restoration) I'm not exactly sure what year motor i have, but i do have the engine identification number, i think. the third number is impossible to make out, but here it is. 10?25327.

Can anyone tell me what year motor i have? i bought a harness for a 94-95 lt1. problem is i have a few plugins that dont match up. biggest one being the coil. the plugs are totally different. also i have a distributer plug that is located about half way up the passenger fuel rail?? no idea what thats for. Did the idiot give me the wrong harness? or am i the idiot and order the wrong one? help
Old 04-19-2009, 10:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

This will tell you the year of one out of an F-body. B and Y body LT1 may be the same-not sure.

96-97s use a single connector coil. There is a short harness that goes from the distributor to the connector on the RH side of the intake.

Here is a complete LT1 automatic harness from a 1995.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:37 PM
Teching In

ah, thanks! i had wrote that number down too, which looks like i have a 96 model motor. Great.

Well now i know what needs to happen. Thanks alot shbox! you've been a big help
Old 04-19-2009, 10:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Your harness should still work (using a 94-95 computer). There will just be a couple of things on the 96 engine that you won't have any connector to hook up to (like crank sensor in the timing cover and EVAP vacuum switch on the RH side of the intake manifold [if still there].

There is lots of info on my website that might answer further questions.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:59 PM
Teching In

would it be easier if i could just exchange it with the right one? certinaly be cheaper right? since i wouldnt have to get a 94-95 year computer? I'll call em in the AM and see if they will fix my mess up
Old 04-20-2009, 07:10 AM
TECH Veteran

I guess the simplest thing would be to have a 96-97 harness (if you already have a 96 computer). Though, I will say that the 94-95 computer is usually preferred for ease and cost of tuning, since it is OBD-I and has less emissions parameters to worry about. You probably won't be using the EVAP system in a hot rod, anyway (unless you plan on transplanting a charcoal canister, too). Also, the crank sensor is not needed for engine function. It is only there for misfire detection on 96-97s (an OBD-II requirement).
Old 05-14-2009, 11:24 PM
Teching In

tried starting the motor tonight and had no luck. i'm getting fuel to the rails. the motor hit for 3 or 4 seconds once but that was it. hasnt been started in 10 years, any ideas? i tried pecking on the injectors but no luck. help
Old 05-15-2009, 05:15 PM
Teching In

I dont mean to jack thread but its somewhat on the same subject. If you take the emissions off and not tune it for deletes will it have problems starting? or bad mpg? or better? lol. Its just i know alot of times with the transplants you have to tune to Exactly the set-up your using or you'll have problems. As im in the middle of mine. Did you tune out the VATs or did you module? cause that'll keep you from starting too.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by blackdiesel
tried starting the motor tonight and had no luck. i'm getting fuel to the rails. the motor hit for 3 or 4 seconds once but that was it. hasnt been started in 10 years, any ideas? i tried pecking on the injectors but no luck. help
Did you tune out VATS from the PCM? If not you will get spark but your injectors won't be firing.

Originally Posted by Kaoz
I dont mean to jack thread but its somewhat on the same subject. If you take the emissions off and not tune it for deletes will it have problems starting? or bad mpg? or better? lol. Its just i know alot of times with the transplants you have to tune to Exactly the set-up your using or you'll have problems. As im in the middle of mine. Did you tune out the VATs or did you module? cause that'll keep you from starting too.
No, deleting emissions, capping everything off correctly, and no tune change shouldn't effect starting or performance. All you'll do is throw emissions related codes.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:22 PM
Teching In

I bought a harness from haywireinc.com and it has a resistor to fix the vats problem.

anyways, turns out my return line was blocked in the tank. plumbed around it and she starts right up.

WOW this thing is insane!! i've got a '55 with a 400sbc/400turbo trans and that is the only thing that i've drove that even comes close to this thing. wow wow wow.

i need to reprogram my computer, it hits the rev limiter before it shifts into second when its wide open. but thats expected when the rear end ratio and the tires are changed. what is a good tuner?

Last edited by blackdiesel; 05-15-2009 at 09:29 PM.
Old 05-16-2009, 09:07 AM
TECH Veteran

I bought a harness from haywireinc.com and it has a resistor to fix the vats problem.

anyways, turns out my return line was blocked in the tank. plumbed around it and she starts right up.

WOW this thing is insane!! i've got a '55 with a 400sbc/400turbo trans and that is the only thing that i've drove that even comes close to this thing. wow wow wow.

i need to reprogram my computer, it hits the rev limiter before it shifts into second when its wide open. but thats expected when the rear end ratio and the tires are changed. what is a good tuner?
Cool machine.

Madtuner or PCMforless for mail order tuning.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Very nice, glad to see you got it figured out.

Originally Posted by shbox
Cool machine.

Madtuner or PCMforless for mail order tuning.
That's where I got my tune from, works great.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

that transplant looks awesome!

Quick Reply: Help wiring a LT1 in street rod