LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Worst Part/ Aftermarket component Experiences

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 12:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Worst Part/ Aftermarket component Experiences

Just wondering what was the worst part you guys have ever purchased and how it negatively affected, or destroyed your vehicle. Carnage pictures Welcomed and ENCOURAGED.

I'll start: I bought an Accel Optispark a few months back. My car was running fine at 116,xxx on the original opti, but I felt since I was changing cams I might-as-well replace all the wear components on the vehicle that be coming off anyways (opti, waterpump, Thermostat...etc).

After I completed the swap I developed a nasty misfire. Which I falsely diagnosed as a improperly adjusted rocker arm... to make a long story short...after replacing 8 lifters I collapsed trying to rectify my misfire, i eventually pulled the opti off, I shook it a few times and heard a metallic rattle inside. Shrugging I decided to toss my stock one back on and Holy **** it ran without any issues.

I ended up buying a Gm direct opti, and have not looked back since. The most annoying issue that I experienced with the accel unit was the fact that it did not throw any codes despite the my having the overally sensitive obd2 set up.

After a short drive proceeding the installation of my brand new GM unit, my car threw a misfire in cylinder 7 code, which I easily fixed by easing back on the overly tightened rocker arm. Been fine since.

In all Accel cost me nearly $500 dollars in diagnosing, and finally giving my car to a dealership to fix. The company I bought the unit from will remain nameless but was not willing to exchange or refund the purchase of the accel unit.

Let's Hear some other stories
Old 04-20-2009, 01:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Five years ago on the Impala Board I started a thread called "Mods gone wrong" for exactly this purpose. Just in the last week or so it has gotten some new additions. If this thread takes off I will post this link there too. The more info shared the better for all.
http://www.impalassforum.com/vBullet...ods+Gone+Wrong
Old 04-20-2009, 01:29 PM
TECH Resident

^great minds think alike
Old 04-20-2009, 01:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Made a noob mistake and bought a Jegs brand optispark distributor several years ago. Car died on the freeway on ramp only two weeks later. Thought it was the pump, installed a Racetronix kit, not go. Finally pulled off the opti and the rotor fell right out when I pulled the cap off. Not only that, but the whole time I was running that opti, I was getting a P0336 dtc, same as before I replaced the opti. I then ordered a AC Delco from "thepartsladi" on Ebay, installed it and the car fired right up. Car ran better than ever and the code went away. No problems so far. Needless to say, I will never buy anything but a GM opti ever again, and I will be sure to always thread lock my rotor screws.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Elitesparkplugwires.com
They had sparks shooting out the insulator and the boots. Majorly screwed there. They are out of business now.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

When I bought my first F-Body years ago at the age of 16 I immediately purchased a Flowmaster Catback (thanks to their great Marketing). Since sound is very subjunctive there are people that would like the sound of it but it honestly sounded terrible. The worst part was that after 2 years it rusted and fell apart. I have also seen dyno results showing how restrictive the Flowmaster catbacks are for these cars. However, other than how bad it sounded and flowed the moral of the story is to buy a stainless catback (stay away from aluminized) for a daily driver unless you want to spend money twice like I did.
Old 04-20-2009, 03:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

buying emission style headers when all the emissions people do is check the computer for obd2. plus the AIR/EGR fittings made it 10x more difficult to install them on the engine
Old 04-20-2009, 05:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

South Bend Clutches - The owner talks a good game, but the clutch disk he sent me was warped, then, after he had my $$$, he wouldn't talk to me anymore!
Old 04-20-2009, 05:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Where's all the people who bought the Edelbrock LT4 conversion kit expecting to make 400+rwhp???
Old 04-20-2009, 05:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^i was almost a victim of that as well as a lot of other useless mods. UD Pulley with no overdrive pulley, 58mm TB. this site helped me out a lot
Old 04-20-2009, 05:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

For me the worst part was the edelbrock torque arm. I hit one good bump and snapped it like a twig then it broke my driveshaft. Next was the Msd coil that I purchased a few years ago from summit and only put about 4k miles then it died on me this weekend...what a waste of money !
Old 04-20-2009, 05:55 PM
TECH Addict

I dont think i have bought any worthless thing for my car yet. my dad gave me this short throw shifter that is not very good lol. its a straight stick so it rubs against the console when u go into reverse.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:04 PM
TECH Regular

That stupid "nearly free" mod where you put a resistor in the coolant temp. sensor line. It makes the car run entirely too rich all the time and doesn't really do anything for a daily driver. Maybe for race applications...

Also, the verdict is still out on the air foil for the throttle body. I'm going to dyno check it sometime to see if makes any difference.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Come one...I know someone out there has bought a "turbonator" or "tornado" looking for that "up to 15 hp gain"...
Old 04-20-2009, 06:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Bought a used, but still 'fresh', "built" transmission and stall from camminlt1t/a... Not only was the case broke on the INSIDE (chunks of aluminum broke off the case), but the clutches were all burnt to a crisp as well which meant the stall was also shot -_- $550 for a boat anchor and another $700+ later and I got my car back on the road with my original trans built and a 2400 stall.

Moral of the story: Don't buy a used Automatic! I don't care if Jesus is selling it!
Old 04-20-2009, 07:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Jesus doesn't like autos anyway.

I'd say the only purchase I regretted was buying Edelbrock shorties. I shoulda gone with LT's from the get-go, but I wanted to be legal (even tho they had to be rerouted to make the exhaust fit and I still had an exhaust leak at one of the flanges that would never go away.)
Old 04-20-2009, 08:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Id say my True Duals on my Firebird. I could have got a cutout for 25 bucks and made just as much power as I did with the 2.5 duals and saved about 400 bucks. They sounded good but got old for everyday driving.

^^Ive got a flowmaster catback now and dont find anything wrong with it. It came on the car. It doesnt have any rasp and is a good bit louder than magnaflows are, but I have heard they dont flow anymore than a stock muffler.

I also bought a used transmission from a salvage yard for my car. Gave 500 for it and it shifts perfect. It is a Gm rebuilt unit and doesnt seem to have too many miles on it. That sucks for you formula350 by getting ripped off from someone.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by IronOutlaw
Id say my True Duals on my Firebird. I could have got a cutout for 25 bucks and made just as much power as I did with the 2.5 duals and saved about 400 bucks. They sounded good but got old for everyday driving.

^^Ive got a flowmaster catback now and dont find anything wrong with it. It came on the car. It doesnt have any rasp and is a good bit louder than magnaflows are, but I have heard they dont flow anymore than a stock muffler.

I also bought a used transmission from a salvage yard for my car. Gave 500 for it and it shifts perfect. It is a Gm rebuilt unit and doesnt seem to have too many miles on it. That sucks for you formula350 by getting ripped off from someone.
I'd be surprised if a cutout could perform as well as true duals unless it was dual cutouts, but I could easily be wrong and wouldn't be surprised!

If I knew something was a rebuild by a known company, like GM, I'd have gotten it as well
Old 04-20-2009, 09:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Probably my SLP Loudmouth II exhaust

Sounds good now on my current BBK shorties (previous owner) and catted y setup... but I'm not really wanting to know what it will sound like without cats, LT's & ORY and H/C/I.

Should have bought a Magnaflow or GMMG
Old 04-20-2009, 10:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

P1sc procharger kit. Back in 02" I purchased this kit from ramchargers. It was the most poorly designed kit for 3800.00. Basically had to refab the whole kit to get it too work, but it did make good power. 426whp on the stock lt1 down do the manifolds. I then built a 383 and tried to run the p1sc on it, turned out the motor was maxing blower's cfm and it wouldnt make any power above 5k rpm. So I sold the blower kit, took some of the money and invested it into upgrading the heads and intake. The car is so much more reliable and fun to drive now. Im thinkin of doing a decent shot tho here soon...Oh also bbk shorties suck, the a.i.r tube fell of the #1 primary after 2 seasons! I should of went LT's from the get go!!!

Quick Reply: Worst Part/ Aftermarket component Experiences