LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Damn Car!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 10:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Angry Damn Car!!!

Well, I'm a little pissed. I thought I had my car all good to go for the MFBA track rental this weekend. Then, tonight, my clutch decided to give me a little chatter. I thought nothing of it, and figured it'd still be able to last a few more weeks before I could get my Spec Stage 3 put in. I start getting a little closer to town, and the clutch pedal starts getting softer, and it's harder than hell to get the car into any gear. So, I decide I'll drive straight to the shop, and let it sit, and see what they can do about it tomorrow. I get to a stop sign, and can barely get the car to go into 1st. I take off with massive clutch chatter, hit 2nd, let out on the clutch, it sticks to the floorboard. It starts slowly coming up off the floorboard, but is engaged the whole time. I had to run a couple of stop signs to get to the shop, because I knew I wouldn't be able to get it out of gear. I rolled into the shop parking lot, go to push the clutch in and take it out of gear. As soon as I press down on the clutch, I hear a loud pop, come to a stop, and the car dies. I can't wait to see what my clutch looks like now. lol. Luckily, I've got my Spec Stage 3 laying around, but this really pisses me off, since MFBA is having a track rental at Cordova this weekend. So, now I'm probably not going to be able to make it. And since I have to pay for a clutch install, and most likely a new flywheel, getting my 3.90's put in is probably going to be set back. Sorry for the long, drawn out story, but I just had to vent. I'll try and get some pics of the carnage sometime this week whenever they get it torn apart, so everyone can see the damage.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have them put the clutch in tomorrow and get to driving those break in miles!
Old 05-04-2009, 10:52 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by themadspoon
Have them put the clutch in tomorrow and get to driving those break in miles!
Actually, the clutch already has 1000 miles on it. A local guy had it in his car, while he was breaking his new motor in, but swapped it out for a heavier clutch, since his car is making around 600rwhp. So, would I still have to give it a break-in period after I put it in, or should it be good to go right away? I'm just not sure if they'll be able to get to it tomorrow anyways. They've been pretty busy up there lately, and it's not like I have a scheduled appointment. Luckily, I'm related to them, so they'll get to it as quick as they can, and do it for a real good price.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by tspence45
Actually, the clutch already has 1000 miles on it. A local guy had it in his car, while he was breaking his new motor in, but swapped it out for a heavier clutch, since his car is making around 600rwhp. So, would I still have to give it a break-in period after I put it in, or should it be good to go right away? I'm just not sure if they'll be able to get to it tomorrow anyways. They've been pretty busy up there lately, and it's not like I have a scheduled appointment. Luckily, I'm related to them, so they'll get to it as quick as they can, and do it for a real good price.
I would probably drive it a little bit before beating on it but i dont think a full break in would be needed.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:26 PM
TECH Resident

i dont see why they cant do it in one day, not super hard really...
Old 05-07-2009, 11:30 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah, I got it back last night. They got it in late Tuesday afternoon. It's going to take a lot of getting used to with this Spec Stage 3. The only thing I'm not liking about it, is that it doesn't start to release until I get the pedal almost all the way out, and it wants to fully engage all at once. People in the manual tranny section are saying that I may need to get an adj master cylinder.

I got raped on the install though. $400. They said that there were pieces in the bellhousing, and it took them forever to clean out. Plus, they had problems with stuff not lining up right, so they had to keep taking it back apart for some reason.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:46 PM
TECH Resident

Hmmm makes me wonder about my Spec 3. Haven't got the car on the road yet but soon. It's supposed to be a stiff clutch though so it will take some getting used to.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:48 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by za355tx
Hmmm makes me wonder about my Spec 3. Haven't got the car on the road yet but soon. It's supposed to be a stiff clutch though so it will take some getting used to.
Mine's not stiff. Just very touchy. I'm already starting to get used to it. But, it was a PITA at first.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Once you drive it for awhile they really are pretty good street clutches
Old 05-08-2009, 12:31 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by themadspoon
Once you drive it for awhile they really are pretty good street clutches
That's what I'm hoping for. I had a spec 1 in a car a while back and really liked it so I stuck with them. Just needed a little more holding power this time around

Quick Reply: Damn Car!!!