LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Crane duals too much for stock cam?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 12:14 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Crane duals too much for stock cam?

Im currently running crane dual springs with a cc306 cam that I'm gonna pull out soon. My plans are to throw in a stock cam till I save up enough money for a new setup but Im not sure if these springs have too much pressure for the stock setup.

Also, if I sell the springs can I reuse the locks/retainers with stock springs? I don't have the stock components so Id like to figure out what I can reuse.

Thanks!
Old 05-05-2009, 12:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by street demon2k3
Im currently running crane dual springs with a cc306 cam that I'm gonna pull out soon. My plans are to throw in a stock cam till I save up enough money for a new setup but Im not sure if these springs have too much pressure for the stock setup.

Also, if I sell the springs can I reuse the locks/retainers with stock springs? I don't have the stock components so Id like to figure out what I can reuse.

Thanks!
You will be fine using the springs with the stock cam.
I don't believe you can use the stock springs with those retainers.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:25 PM
12 Second Club

Kick ***, I'll keep the springs and just buy a stock cam then. Im gonna have to see how fast this thing goes with just bolt-ons, sucks but oh well.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Kick ***, I'll keep the springs and just buy a stock cam then. Im gonna have to see how fast this thing goes with just bolt-ons, sucks but oh well.
The good thing is that with those springs, you can still use any 1.6 or 1.7 rr's that you have (or should have) on the car now. With stock springs you'd have to go back to stock rockers.

Why do you have to pull the cam, buy a stock one and swap it, only to save up for a new set up? Why not just leave it in? Then save up for some ported heads.
Old 05-05-2009, 03:29 PM
12 Second Club

I need to pay for my summer class so I can finish up school. Don't really know where to get the money except for parting out the car but since I have a job lined up already once I finish up so I'll have more than enough for a new setup in about 6 weeks time. Eventually the cam would need to come out anyways.
Old 05-05-2009, 03:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

I need to pay for my summer class so I can finish up school. Don't really know where to get the money except for parting out the car but since I have a job lined up already once I finish up so I'll have more than enough for a new setup in about 6 weeks time. Eventually the cam would need to come out anyways.
Why? Just keep it and get new heads.
Old 05-05-2009, 04:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

but like he is saying he is selling the cam to pay for his school. that is why he is getting ride of it
Old 05-05-2009, 04:48 PM
12 Second Club

Im looking into an AI setup this summer and considering I need a few hundred dollars extra for school, it seems like a good idea to start getting rid of stuff now. The car is never driven so I can afford to part it out since it just sits in the garage. I've put maybe 300miles on it in the last year....its not too bad on gas (22mpg hwy) but my 31mpg Sentra is much better on gas and it has an A/C compared to the Z LOL!!!
Old 05-05-2009, 05:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Im looking into an AI setup this summer and considering I need a few hundred dollars extra for school, it seems like a good idea to start getting rid of stuff now. The car is never driven so I can afford to part it out since it just sits in the garage. I've put maybe 300miles on it in the last year....its not too bad on gas (22mpg hwy) but my 31mpg Sentra is much better on gas and it has an A/C compared to the Z LOL!!!
It it going to be worth the time and the money to buy new gaskets, coolant, and stock cam?
Old 05-05-2009, 06:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dont think you can Over spring a cam