LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Need advice buying pistons, rings, rod bolts

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2003, 10:57 AM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Need advice buying pistons, rings, rod bolts

Well, my 62k mile original short block in the '94 is starting to die. All the years of racing have caught up with me. It is not knocking, but I'm getting a large amount of blow-by through the valve cover breathers and the car has started running about 3 tenths slower at the track.

We are going to start tearing it down in the next couple days and I'm going to step up to forged pistons, chromoly rings, and ARP rod bolts. The motor will see an occasional 100 shot of juice, so I want to step up the components.

Questions:

1. What pistons do you recommend and who should I buy them from? (good prices and service)
2. Is it possible to slightly step up the compression with out getting custom pistons made? I'd like to just up it a half-point to 11:1, but a lot of shops will not have those "on the shelf". In other words, who would have 11:1 LT1 pistons in stock? I know the old "Impala SS head gasket trick" but would rather just get a very slightly domed piston.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-06-2003, 09:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Lt1's use the same pistons, rods, and bolts like a SBC. You can even use a SBC crank in an LT1 as long as it has a 1 piece rear main seal.
Old 11-06-2003, 04:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TWS
Well, my 62k mile original short block in the '94 is starting to die. Questions:

1. What pistons do you recommend and who should I buy them from? (good prices and service)
2. Is it possible to slightly step up the compression with out getting custom pistons made? I'd like to just up it a half-point to 11:1, but a lot of shops will not have those "on the shelf". In other words, who would have 11:1 LT1 pistons in stock? I know the old "Impala SS head gasket trick" but would rather just get a very slightly domed piston.

Thanks in advance.
From what it sounds like you want to do, some simple off the shelf forged speed pro pistons would be fine. If a shop is doing the work, just tell them your plans and what you want to do and what compression you'd like to be at.
Old 11-07-2003, 10:09 AM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep. Just got the whole parts package laid out with a machine shop in Waco. They get quality parts at excellent prices, and Speed Pro forged pistons are exactly what we arrived at.

I'm having the block sent out to do a line bore, convert to 4-bolt main caps, and do a .030 cylinder overbore.

This motor should rock!
Old 11-07-2003, 03:30 PM
10 Second Club

Todd,
Good luck with your rebuild. Did you read my 10.89 @127 mph post?
Mike

BTW Click on the picture
Attached Thumbnails Need advice buying pistons, rings, rod bolts-wheelsup.jpg  
Old 11-08-2003, 11:14 AM
Staging Lane

I had good luck with Diamond Pistons. They had what I needed on the shelf and were very helpful. I give them a try.

www.diamondracing.net
Old 11-12-2003, 03:26 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

My buddy bought the diamonds on his LS1 and they end up needing some work to get it right on the height. A lot of guys are using the GM Performance parts crank, its a forged crank with the same stroke as stock. Brady used one on his built motor that handled a lot of boost. It retails in at what a Forged Eagle Crank would cost and availible from any GM dealer, I'm sure Dal or Jason Cromer could get you a good deal on it.
Old 11-12-2003, 08:52 PM
TECH Addict

I would seriously suggest going with a cast 383 crank instead of sticking with the stocker.

Ther price for pistons/rods will be esentially the same, machine work difference will be only around 100 bucks, and you can pick up cast 383 cranks (LT1/1pc rms style) for around 300 bucks. It would be well worth it.

Quick Reply: Need advice buying pistons, rings, rod bolts