LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Best Suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 08:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink Best Suspension?

I have a 95' Z28 All bolt ons rebuilt tranny 2400 stall (i kno needs to be bigger (thats what she said lol)) I am planning on doing the CC503 this summer with 3.73 gears. but be for that can be done i need new suspension. Just wondering what you guys thought the best suspension was. I CAN NOT LOWER my car. We have a "half lift" (fit in a normal sized garage and will bright the bottom of the car up to your chest) It all ready drags when i bring it in now so it can not be drop any lower.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Lowering the car wont help it if you want to dragrace. I just installed a BMR torque arm and it cured my wheel hop and helps the car get a little better bite, Im gonna do a full BMR suspension.
I hear that the BMR and UMI stuff are top notch, stay away from edelbrock though.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:35 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you looking for an all out drag suspension or somthing very streetable? My suspension is just drag with some light street use. I run a spohn torque arm with the drive loop and g-member mount then umi double adj controll arms and panhard bar they are rod ended tho so they are not very streetable they tend to make alot of noise. polly bushing stuff alot better for the street. my set up on mt et drags and bolt-ons with a 3500 stall and a 3:73 gear pulled the front tires off the ground and was doing 1.6 to 1.5 60ft's
Old 05-26-2009, 08:37 PM
TECH Resident

UMI, BMR, and Spohn seem to be the best products out there.

Get the following:

Lower control arms
A good set of subframe connectors. (The UMI 3 point's are great and have awesome ground clearance. You literately don't lose any.)
A good chassis mounted torque arm.
A good panhard rod.

I would start there and then see how you like it. A good torque arm will help the car plant HARD. Subframes will help the stiffness of the ride. I really like my UMI's you will be more than satisfied. Lower control arms are a must and the panhard rod will help stiffen some more. Personally most of my stuff is UMI but the other companies make great stuff too. BMR is great but is a little more expensive than the other stuff.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

i'm sorry to mention that it is a DD. Thanks
Old 05-26-2009, 10:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

well do you want suspension for handling or suspension for hooking? shock wise for a dd your best handling option is koni followed by kyb agx put together with a nice sway bar set and tires your car will handle like its on rails but if your going for hooking definitely torque arm, lca, relocation brackets, and sfc
Old 05-27-2009, 04:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

What do you all think about Mooge coil springs?
Old 05-27-2009, 05:04 PM
Banned

UMI all the way! So far I have done the following UMI stuff...

Torque Arm w/relocate braket to get it off the tranny
2-point SFC
Panhard Bar
Lower control Arms
Sway Bars
Strut Tower Brace (Not that they do much...just really inexpensive)
Shocks and a lowering kit

The car is on rails and handles awesome
UMI K-Member w/ upper/lower arms in future.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

think its worth getting the strut tower brace?
Old 05-27-2009, 05:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by pillarpod
think its worth getting the strut tower brace?
For a $100-115 bucks it was to me...then again I like to have every little thing done. You wouldn't be able to tell a difference in handling unless you have senses beyond normal Looks good and its inexpensive that's about all I can say. If you don't have a torque arm or panhard done I would invest in those first.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:37 PM
Launching!

What do you all think about Mooge coil springs?
aka stock replacements .. wow ..from advanceauto set of front and rears are $210 .. I'd think that over(reuse originals or find a set of lower mileage ones) .. set of Strano are $275 shipped.. <edit>
I have a 95' Z28 I CAN NOT LOWER my car. We have a "half lift" (fit in a normal sized garage and will bright the bottom of the car up to your chest) It all ready drags when i bring it in now so it can not be drop any lower.

Last edited by ScrapSilicon; 05-27-2009 at 05:43 PM.
Old 05-27-2009, 06:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey:

On my F1 camaro, its all UMI, and its a daily driver, 100 miles per day, 6x a week, and occasional road race track car. Its a little more noise when you drive with the clunks and clanks, but handles great. I feel they make very good products. Your first purchase should be Sub Frame Connectors(SFC), then an adj Lower Control Arms (LCA) and adj Panhard Bar (PB) This way your car will be as stiff as possible and can be adjusted for you needs.

On the SS camaro it has Slot car racing (SCR), and SLP stuff on it and is very good as well, its lighter in weight, but does make the car handle great and still plenty strong. Not cheap and cheezy like some junk.

Both cars have 24 mm rear sway bars, and the F1 has a 35mm, as the SS got the F1's 32mm front , as the SS only had a 30mm front to start with. The F1 now has da koni's W/Eibach pros and the SS has the SLP Bilstien/Eibach setup.

From my experience Spohn, Umi, BMR, LG, madman and co, J&M/Hotpart, SCR and a few others are all good parts and I have seen all do well at the roadtracks. Just stay away from Edelbrock & lakewood (ok for STB though) LCA, PB, Torque arm stuff as that, I have seen break, and never buy show only stuff, as its pretty, but won't hold up if you use your car on the road.

Dub

When In Doubt Do Without

Last edited by 1993 z28 f1; 05-27-2009 at 06:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Best Suspension?