LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

? for all about temp sensor and temp switch????

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 09:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ? for all about temp sensor and temp switch????

Which one is which, I have both a brand new temp switch and a brand new temp sensor. I don't have a clue which goes where because they both fit in the driver side head and the other in the water pump..... One has a grey end and the other has a black end. I've heard opposite answers from my local parts stores and my chilton doesn't say crap! Please let me know so I can complete my rebuild...Thanks steve

there weird thing is that I replaced it about 3 years back and both of my wiring harness show that it would be the black end which is the switch in both. I can't remember if I had got a new pigtail to tap into it to change the one in the head or not!
Old 06-15-2009, 09:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 94BlueZ28
Which one is which, I have both a brand new temp switch and a brand new temp sensor. I don't have a clue which goes where because they both fit in the driver side head and the other in the water pump..... One has a grey end and the other has a black end. I've heard opposite answers from my local parts stores and my chilton doesn't say crap! Please let me know so I can complete my rebuild...Thanks steve

there weird thing is that I replaced it about 3 years back and both of my wiring harness show that it would be the black end which is the switch in both. I can't remember if I had got a new pigtail to tap into it to change the one in the head or not!
The black plug goes into the pump, and the gray plug goes into the head (the one in the head has a 1-wire connector).
Old 06-15-2009, 09:24 PM
TECH Resident

Mine has two wires, a ground and then a power I guess. Hell I cant even plug it in to the grey one. Should I go to the junk yard and get a new connector or what????? Damn it!
Old 06-15-2009, 11:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Mine has two wires, a ground and then a power I guess. Hell I cant even plug it in to the grey one. Should I go to the junk yard and get a new connector or what????? Damn it!
No, you need to go to the dealer and get the right temp sensor for the head.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:47 AM
TECH Resident

Well I have both the switch and the sensor and they are 2 different itmes although the damn near look the same except for the actual wiring connector it self. Do you think that they will be able to get me the a new connector to wire in??? Hell my dealership here sucks *****, they can't get **** from the times I've been up there! Hell I tried to order aoil pump driveshaft assembly that goes in the distributer hole under the intake and they couldn't get it. They gave me a # to call a different dealership in the KC area!
Old 06-16-2009, 12:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you have an O'Reilly anywhere near you, ask for a temp sending unit and that will be what you need for the driver's side head.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:29 PM
TECH Resident

I do have one around, and I have both of the sensor's, they call it a temp gauge sensor....
The other is called a temp gauge switch! So I'm lost considering both of mine have the same damn connector that plugs into the sensor. But yet the two different sensor/switch have different connections! I'll hit up O'reilly's again and confront them with this terminology, What should I do about the wiring though?
Old 06-16-2009, 03:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Both should have 2 prongs one should look like this
________
/ \
| [] [] |
\________/
That's the one for the waterpump.
The other one should look like this:

________
/ \
| [] = |
\________/
Edit: WTF my nice diagram is ruined!
And that one goes in the driver's side head.
Old 06-16-2009, 06:52 PM
TECH Veteran

I posted this on another temp sensor thread the other day:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/11751205-post8.html

The water pump sensor has two terminals, the head sensor has one. Connectors are not the same internally.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:34 AM
TECH Resident

Unless they gave me the wrong parts both of my sensor's have 2 prongs and my actual wire connections them selves are identical! I don't know, I'll have to go to the dealership!
Old 06-17-2009, 01:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Unless they gave me the wrong parts both of my sensor's have 2 prongs and my actual wire connections them selves are identical! I don't know, I'll have to go to the dealership!
I'll bet they are not. I don't know how many times I can say this...the correct temp sensor in the head has one terminal and one wire. The plug looks the same on the outside as the one going to the water pump.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:12 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Listen to Shbox, they are different and you need the right one for their respective spots.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:13 PM
TECH Resident

Went to the dealership and yes the 2 prong black end connector goes to the water pump, the head aparently has the grey ended connector all thought there is one prong along with what looks to be a another smaller false prong. The sensor I believe I have right although apparently I had got the wrong one a few years ago that came with a new pigtail which led me to splicine it into a 2 wire setup. I guess I'll have to go to the junk yard just to cut off a new plug connector. It looks to be like it was a one wire deal at one time although this was 3 years ago. Would this mistake cause my fans not to kick on with out a jumper wire in the relay box,lol? Thanks
Old 06-17-2009, 10:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

just had this same exact problem. they look identical on the plug end but the one in the head is just a bit wider but they both look like a smiley face. the one you want for the cylinder head should be white, i got an aftermarket one that is white and also you want to tell them it's a temp sending unit not a temp sensor
Old 06-17-2009, 10:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Went to the dealership and yes the 2 prong black end connector goes to the water pump, the head aparently has the grey ended connector all thought there is one prong along with what looks to be a another smaller false prong. The sensor I believe I have right although apparently I had got the wrong one a few years ago that came with a new pigtail which led me to splicine it into a 2 wire setup. I guess I'll have to go to the junk yard just to cut off a new plug connector. It looks to be like it was a one wire deal at one time although this was 3 years ago. Would this mistake cause my fans not to kick on with out a jumper wire in the relay box,lol? Thanks
The sensor in the head has nothing to do with the computer or the fans. It's only for the gauge.
Old 06-19-2009, 11:11 AM
TECH Resident

I got that, i need a new connector pigtail to wire it up and the dealership cannot get the one for the head, only the one for the waterpump....Any ideas where to get this at?

Quick Reply: ? for all about temp sensor and temp switch????