LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

cam set up?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 10:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cam set up?

hey guys im about to do a few things by the end of next month first im rebuilding my tranny and gonna use a tougher clutch, then im gonna rebuild the bottom end, then i wanna get holley TB, pacesetter longtubes (Egr i wanna pass spec) and a cam set up im just not sure which one i should go with, i dont wanna blow up my stuff but i want to pull at least like 1000-5500 but i dont wanna sound like **** through by borla cat back, what im really looking for is a solid 375 to the wheels and reliable its not my daily driver but i dont want to be afraid of breaking it everytime i get on it.
Have any suggestions?
Old 06-29-2009, 10:13 PM
Staging Lane

forgot to say i had a 1997 lt1 z28 just so yall know
Old 06-30-2009, 09:32 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

People are getting way to casual about big HP numbers.
Sounds like you think 375 is a reachable cam only number with emissions testing and a self imposted LOW rev limit. You are way off base. 375 at the wheels might be doable cam only BUT it wont pass emissions and will want to rev to at least 6500rpms.
Your long tube headers should fail you on visual smog inspection anyway.

375 is a pretty easy number to HIT if you use the right proven parts like a heas and cam package from www.advancedinduction.com car is going to need more modding first though like fuel pump and injectors. Should have 4.10s in it too and some suspension work otherwise wheelhop is going to destroy the axle FAST.

What do you plan on doing when you "rebuild" the engine? There are a lot of LT1s out there that guys "rebuild" to less than stock specs. A lot of old school cheap SBC pistons are a step backwards from stock power wise and that is what people like to use on budget rebuilds. It is not cheap to improve on what GM gave us. It absolutely can be done but you are looking at fairly expensive pistons and QUALITY machine work not just any old shop can match GM's bore quality.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

375rwhp is a fairly high goal for cam only, whatever you do get to do it won't like emissions testing or most likely the safe rev limits for a stock RA. also what do you mean "sound like ****"? do you mean not sound big or have a really choppy idle?

common decent t56 cam only numbers are usually around 360rwhp -/+. best bet to get closest to the goal is a custom cam from LE www.elliottportworks.com or AI www.advanceinduction.com . Both are companies with proven results but I can only personally vouch for LE because I've actually used his product.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I've read that the CC503 will pass emissions, but I am not sure. But that will only put you at ~330-340rwhp. Still not a bad number to make.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

well my high mileage stalled auto w/ midlengths made 325rwhp unlocked with the cc503, so I'd imagine a t56 car with lt's could atleast hit a little at or around 350
Old 06-30-2009, 05:21 PM
Staging Lane

i was considering rebuilding it to a stroker like 383 or somthing that + the headers, TB, CAI, Exhaust, and cam + eventual heads i did plan on just not right now, i also was gonna do some rear end work as well i dont wanna break it. Im not gonna do it all at once im doing the rebuilds and i wanted to do the first set of mods (all the stuff i mentioned) soon after the rebuilds and then do the rear end work prolly swap to bigger one and get some 4:10 or somthing, i can pay to pass its no big deal its only 1 time a year and i know a place i get passed for 100 bucks, im gonna check out that website caprice thanks man any more suggestions throw it up if you want
Old 06-30-2009, 05:37 PM
Staging Lane

o and myltwon i dont mind if it sounds big and if you mean like choppy idle by like the sound of a jet boat idle under the water i like that sound, i dont want like a poppy backfireish sound

Quick Reply: cam set up?