LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

94 Opti Install-Does the Opti only go on one way?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 08:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 94 Opti Install-Does the Opti only go on one way?

About to put the "new" opti back on. Does anything have to be lined up so the timing isnt off? Also I need an opti seal too, does anyone know where to get these?
Old 07-08-2009, 09:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a little notch on the new optispark spline thing and you have to line it up correctly with the motor. It will only go on one way so don't worry about doing it wrong.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:07 PM
11 Second Club

Just line it up and your good to go. As far as the seal you can pick up at all local parts store.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by x10secondzx2
There is a little notch on the new optispark spline thing and you have to line it up correctly with the motor. It will only go on one way so don't worry about doing it wrong.
No, you better worry and get it right. It is supposed to go on correctly only one way. I am seeing almost a couple of threads a week, now, where people are forcing them on incorrectly.

http://shbox.com/1/93-94_opti.jpg
Old 07-08-2009, 11:44 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by shbox
No, you better worry and get it right. It is supposed to go on correctly only one way. I am seeing almost a couple of threads a week, now, where people are forcing them on incorrectly.

LOL, thats the truth...

Just pay close attention to the splines and line them up, and the opti will just slide on easily. You should feel it kinda click or just slide into the groove. Just DO NOT FORCE IT ON!

Good Luck!

James
Old 07-09-2009, 10:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

There is a dowel pin coming out of the end of the cam, just line that back up with the opti the way it came out. And like shoebox stated, dont bang or force it on. I should slide on with just a little bit of a push.

The rubber seals around the opti shaft is what you're referring too?

If so the GM houses have those, I had to drive to BFE to a dealership that carried them but they have'em, and they are cheap (few dollars a piece).

Ive done the opti on my car 3 times, gets easier and can nearly do it in my sleep now. Good luck!
Old 07-09-2009, 10:54 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by shbox

Exactly, you CAN force it on incorrectly. I often would look into the hole, get the correct orientation in the block and make not of it. then pull it out and line it up in the opti itself, then take the unit down and lightly push it on and if it didnt go, then back out, adj, repeat.

I have always had success this way and I have remove and put on a opti probably over 20 times in my life.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:06 AM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroked96Bowtie
There is a dowel pin coming out of the end of the cam
That's not the case on a '94.

My opti went on effortlessly when the splined shaft was correctly aligned. If you feel like you're applying any pressure, it's probably not aligned correctly. You can always take the shaft out of the opti and insert it into the camshaft to get an idea of how it should feel.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

yep agreed! There is no dowel pin on the 94's, just a splined shaft. Imo the spline style opti is easier to put back on than the shaft style(vented). Other than that the newer style is far mor reliable. Op I would install a vent tube in the opti like the newer ones are!!
Old 07-09-2009, 11:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

[QUOTE=BTC;11882127]That's not the case on a '94.[QUOTE]

Yes Ive only done the vented style, thought they all had dowl pins.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok thanks guys!

I did run into a problem, ordered the timing cover gasket kit, and put tried to put the opti seal on and there is no way it would fit, ended up bending it and it ended up tearing. So gotta go buy another one Is there a special tool or does this need pressed on? So close to get the car running again...
Old 07-12-2009, 10:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Black94Z28
Ok thanks guys!

I did run into a problem, ordered the timing cover gasket kit, and put tried to put the opti seal on and there is no way it would fit, ended up bending it and it ended up tearing. So gotta go buy another one Is there a special tool or does this need pressed on? So close to get the car running again...
The round seal has to go on flat and straight. Use a seal installer or a block of wood and mallet to get it on. If you bend it, it's ruined.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:04 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I don't remember having much trouble, or doing anything special, with the opti seal, but it's been a couple years. I remember the water pump seal being much more difficult.

Quick Reply: 94 Opti Install-Does the Opti only go on one way?