LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Getting ready to start the new motor but have a ??????

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 08:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting ready to start the new motor but have a ??????

Getting ready to start the new motor but have a ?????? I was topping fluids and the tranny was bone dry and it was coming out the overfill tube... Just curious what the deal is. It was completly empty all though may be a bit in the stall convertor that didn't leak out the. I was informed in needs 21.6 pints and I only got roughly 2 and 1/2 gallons which is what 20 pints when I noticed it was coming out the over fill tube...... Am I doing something wrong, will I be good to start or what? Don't know how much is the convertor. Should I start it and then cycle threw the drive and reverse???? Want to do this start before the kids go to bed, very anxious!!!! What do you suggest guys?????
Old 07-20-2009, 08:53 PM
TECH Resident

Is there going to be enough fluid without hurting it when I filled the tranny or what. What should I do, will it hurt to start and cycle through the gears, will it push fluid into the convertor????????
Old 07-20-2009, 09:01 PM
TECH Resident

Some one has to know, come on guys!!!!!!
Old 07-20-2009, 11:42 PM
TECH Regular

i thought the trans had to be warmed up in neutral while car was running to fill to appropriate level. I could be wrong. Someone will chime in here soon.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:43 PM
11 Second Club

just start, and go through the gears. have someone checking the fluid and fill as needed, till your fluid is topped off. /\ Neutral may work too. Not sure. lol.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:02 AM
TECH Regular

Trans shifter in park is what I always use when checking the fluid level. I add fluid until the dip stick shows full; that level will drop once the engine fires and the shifter is put into all the gears. The metal trans lines and the cooler in the radiator will consume some of the fluid.

You won't hurt anything if the fluid level shows on the dip stick until the time you can top it off. The trans fluid temp has to be around 190F in order to get an accurate level reading on the dip stick and the car has to be level.

Be sure to place the shift lever in all the gears first, then back to park/neutral for the final reading.

Jake

West Point ROCKS!
Old 07-21-2009, 07:24 AM
TECH Resident

Default lol!

Originally Posted by sdotlog
i thought the trans had to be warmed up in neutral while car was running to fill to appropriate level. I could be wrong. Someone will chime in here soon.
I don't think it would have been to smart to start it with no tranny fluid in it! I pulled the tranny out with the motor and along with the rebuild of the motor I slapped in a 3200 vig stall! It was a completly empty trans, so I was filling it back up and was not able to fit the full amount that is recommended! Just was confused. I probable just got a little nervous after I got off the phone with a freind. He made it out to be like it could be a bad idea to start with possibly no fluid in the stall. I put some in there but some leaked out upon install, you know out the back of the trannywhere the DS goes! Thanks guys!

thanks alot, I'll be starting it tonight then. Was just a bit conscerned about the the over flow when I know it holds more than what I put into it. I was assuming it would have been ok to start but wanted to verify with folks that have done this before! Thanks!

Last edited by 94BlueZ28; 07-21-2009 at 07:31 AM.
Old 07-21-2009, 02:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you're installing a smaller converter, the fluid capacity would be less. Don't forget that, depending on your system, your transmission cooler will still be full of old fluid and likely the lines as well. I added half a quart to my converter, then 4 quarts to the transmission. Start the engine and immediately begin to top it off. My Performabuilt 4L60E took around 9 quarts if I remember correctly.

Not filling the converter with fluid won't hurt anything. Once the transmission is running fluid is immediately pumped into it anyway (as long as the trans filter is submerged).
Old 07-21-2009, 02:59 PM
TECH Resident

Ok then I'm good on that, I added a trans cooler so hopefully it sucks some into that as well or whatever. I know it's still half way up the dip stick,lol! This is the least of my worries though, I can't get the son of a bitch to start. Light's and everything work, starter does not engage. I have this all on another post though!
Old 07-21-2009, 03:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The last thing you want to do is overfill the transmission. Once it's started if the fluid level doesn't start going down, you'll need to drain some out.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:40 PM
TECH Resident

Well ****, it seems like it leveled off but yet, I'm leaking tranny fluid! **** sake, it's coming out the lines on the passensger side. Can I just disco those and add some teflon or what, Is fluid going to pour out of the holes or just the lines?????? Need to fix this leak plus right on the back tranny peice where the connector is at, it's leaking there a drop or 2. I imagine there has to be a seal or 0-ring of some sort for that, if you guys have any idea what to seal the lines up with that would be great! Thanks again! Hopefully my worries are almost over except for getting an exhaust!

Last edited by 94BlueZ28; 07-25-2009 at 09:44 AM.
Old 07-25-2009, 09:46 AM
TECH Resident

ANy answers for post #11