LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Anyone ever see a pilot bearing/bushing do this?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 08:56 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone ever see a pilot bearing/bushing do this?

I don't have a good picture to show this...

Basically when I used to take off under hard acceleration I would hear an awful grinding noise from the transmission. So I took the trans out to swap the clutch and saw alot of dust around the pilot bearing. Pulled the pilot bearing and cleaned everything out around it.

When I put the pilot bearing around the input shaft, I noticed that the ID of the pilot bearing was way larger than the input shaft. Also the pilot bearing looked like it was almost spinning inside the crank based on the appearance of heat spots on the OD of the bearing.

I tried spinning the input shaft of the trans and it doesn't seem out of round. Also the ID of he pilot bearing, although much larger than the input bearing, seems to be fairly round.

Could it have been a bearing that completely failed and turned all the bearings into dust? Seems odd that there would be no carnage to indicate that there were needle bearings or something else in the area.

The car only started making these sounds about 10k miles ago.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:34 PM
TECH Regular

My old one looked similar to that, mine was oval shaped though. Input shaft was a bitch with the new bushing.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:04 PM
TECH Resident

yeah mine looked bad. Load of noise from the orgianl clutch haveing close to 157k on it. Also my input shaft was a bitch to put back in also. My bushing looked like this simple drawing.

Old 07-31-2009, 10:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That looks pretty worn out. I just put a new one in today and they use a bearing instead of the brass looking bushing now.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's pretty common to have bearings fail which is why most people go with bushings instead.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:50 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by AChotrod
That looks pretty worn out. I just put a new one in today and they use a bearing instead of the brass looking bushing now.
I would think twice about that.... How are you gunna get that out if the bearing blows up and fuses to the crank? Ill always use bushings.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:55 AM
11 Second Club

Its the GM part, from the dealer. I told them I wanted the bushing but they only part number they had was for the bearing. Where did you all get the bushings from?
Old 08-04-2009, 12:02 PM
TECH Junkie

I always get the bushing from Advanced or Autozone. They usually have one or two in stock. Last one I got from the shop that built my clutch.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by BLK,97,T/A,M-6
I would think twice about that.... How are you gunna get that out if the bearing blows up and fuses to the crank? Ill always use bushings.
I have always used bearings, never had that happen.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

+1 I've used bearings and no probs. I have heard that they can come apart (but it's pretty rare) and I think the vibration reduction is much better vs. the bushing. Just my .02!!!
Old 08-04-2009, 12:41 PM
11 Second Club

Had the bearing disintigrate on my last clutch install. I installed the bronze bushing this time.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:48 PM
Staging Lane

I've seen it do exactly that. Made terrible grinding noises as well. It also made my clutch disc crack quite a bit on the hub. I just put in a new disc and bearing, called it a day for now. It's been working quite smoothly, now with close to 2000 miles, so heres to hoping there won't be anymore problems for awhile.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:54 AM
11 Second Club

My car prob wont see 2k miles in the next 3yrs or more, but it will see alot of 6800 pulls at the track. Motor isnt in yet so I could still change it real easy. Im gonna do a poll in the manual trans section and see what most guys are doing. The first thing i did when i saw the bearing was cringe since it uses unsealed needle bearings, and I just ripped apart the entire motor to get some of those out when my RR busted.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

^^^Whoring out that pic everywhere, lol.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:18 PM
11 Second Club

People should know what there dealing with lol!! Comp couldnt even argue with me it about it being a bad rocker. They did however say anyone running near my RPMs and HP should use their High Tech SS pro mags wich are their strongest RR and more likely to bend then just break, like the Chromoly Pro mags.
I posted the pic to show the needle bearings (same as the ones in the pilot bearing)
Old 08-05-2009, 01:31 PM
TECH Addict

People should know what there dealing with lol!! Comp couldnt even argue with me it about it being a bad rocker. They did however say anyone running near my RPMs and HP should use their High Tech SS pro mags wich are their strongest RR and more likely to bend then just break, like the Chromoly Pro mags.
I posted the pic to show the needle bearings (same as the ones in the pilot bearing)
your in the 400's right? and 6800rpm is as high as you go? what about comps new ultra pro mags? they can't handle that???
Old 08-05-2009, 05:11 PM
11 Second Club

Yes the car made 415 at 6400 and I shift at 67-6800, b4 some new stuff.
Im not sure what you mean by ultra pro mags?? You mean High tech Stainless Steel Pro mags? The ones I got now are the best pro mags you can get, and can handle alot more than what I got! Then again the regular pro mags should have also IMO. But I got a bad one. Thats enough for me not to use the Chromoly ones again. Comp told me the Reg Pro mags are for street/bracket cars. I told them they sure dont advertise them that way, and my car is a street car. LOL! So far they are taking care of me.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:46 AM
TECH Addict

Yes the car made 415 at 6400 and I shift at 67-6800, b4 some new stuff.
Im not sure what you mean by ultra pro mags?? You mean High tech Stainless Steel Pro mags? The ones I got now are the best pro mags you can get, and can handle alot more than what I got! Then again the regular pro mags should have also IMO. But I got a bad one. Thats enough for me not to use the Chromoly ones again. Comp told me the Reg Pro mags are for street/bracket cars. I told them they sure dont advertise them that way, and my car is a street car. LOL! So far they are taking care of me.
these are the ultra pro mags I was referring to>
http://www.compcams.com/ultrapromagnum/
are they what you use?
Old 08-06-2009, 09:59 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

Do you realize how many sets of those type of rockers Comp sells? Especially to the LT1 crowd. That rocker is by far one of the most popular choices. Your case is the first I've ever heard or read in the 12 or more years being on the internet/mailing list that has been from a bad quality rocker. Even if it is indeed a bad rocker the track record just on internet active LT1 owners alone is flawless. Why should they argue whether or not it is a bad rocker. Reputable shops will either replace the part no questions asked or request to see the part so they can make a determination of their own.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:20 AM
11 Second Club

Yes I do! Thats why I said mine should have held up no prob on my car, BUT it didnt!!! Within the week it happened I have heard of or seen at least 8 broken pro mags. Hell comp had a few broken Pro Mags sitting on their desk when I called. Maybe its a new prob or a bad batch. Also I sent all of them in not just the broken one.

Zspeed those are not availible yet. At least according to that link. It is the new pic on their boxes though and I was like damn those are sexy!!! LOL!!!
This is what I got
http://www.compperformancegroupstore..._Code=HiTechSS

Quick Reply: Anyone ever see a pilot bearing/bushing do this?