LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

drain plug Q

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 05:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default drain plug Q

I'm just full of questions lately so how do you guys reach your block's drain plugs? I don't think I'll have a problem with the PS but the DS is a PITA! the only way I could get to it was with a 1/4 drive short socket to a swivel since a 3/8's swivel wouldn't fit, this was after I took a nut off the motor mount bolt. I don't have 1/4 extensions so I had a 1/4 to 3/8's adapter to an extension and thought I was good.. but I just snapped the 1/4 to 3/8 adapter right off so now I'm down a 1/4 swivel. any tips? the only other idea I had was to take the motor mount bolts out and jack the engine up some, but theres gotta be an easier way? tia
Old 08-03-2009, 06:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I got a 3/8 swivel to fit. I do remember it being a PITA though.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine was easy after I pulled the motor!!
Old 08-03-2009, 07:51 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
I got a 3/8 swivel to fit. I do remember it being a PITA though.
with the motor mount bolt in place? how did you manage that? the skinny 1/4 swivel I had was pressed right up against it and only went in with some persuasion(IE me beating on it with a breaker bar) thats actually another problem I have, its stuck on there right now
Old 08-03-2009, 08:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by z_speedfreak
with the motor mount bolt in place? how did you manage that? the skinny 1/4 swivel I had was pressed right up against it and only went in with some persuasion(IE me beating on it with a breaker bar) thats actually another problem I have, its stuck on there right now
To be honest, this was probably three years ago. I don't remember taking off a motor mount bolt, but I do remember spending a long time trying to work the angle with multiple ext combo's to get it off. I actually found it harder to get back in, then to take it off.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:17 PM
TECH Addict

To be honest, this was probably three years ago. I don't remember taking off a motor mount bolt, but I do remember spending a long time trying to work the angle with multiple ext combo's to get it off. I actually found it harder to get back in, then to take it off.
hahah grreaat. is it a bad idea to skip draining the block and just clean up the coolant after I pull the heads?
Old 08-03-2009, 08:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

hahah grreaat. is it a bad idea to skip draining the block and just clean up the coolant after I pull the heads?
The very first time I puled off a set of heads, I forgot STEP 1, drain the block. Managed to flood all the cylinder with coolant and I spent a long timing cleaning it up. I won't do that again. That being said, after I cleaned it up, I changed the oil when all work was done and the car ran fine.
I guess you could support the engine from above and remove the motor mount out of the way to better access the drain plug. Might be worth the time.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:43 PM
TECH Addict

The very first time I puled off a set of heads, I forgot STEP 1, drain the block. Managed to flood all the cylinder with coolant and I spent a long timing cleaning it up. I won't do that again. That being said, after I cleaned it up, I changed the oil when all work was done and the car ran fine.
I guess you could support the engine from above and remove the motor mount out of the way to better access the drain plug. Might be worth the time.
hmmm I think I'll drain the PS and skip the DS -if I can get the socket & swivel off with out touching the motor mount anyways. sopping up some coolant seems like less work imo as long as it can't hurt nothing.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:34 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

I have petcocks on both sides meow. It's fabulous...
Old 08-04-2009, 07:39 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SS RRR
I have petcocks on both sides meow. It's fabulous...
sounds pretty slick! what did you do with the knock sensor?
Old 08-04-2009, 07:41 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

sounds pretty slick! what did you do with the knock sensor?
Solid roller so it can't be used.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:19 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I barely had any coolant get in the cylinders without pulling the drain plugs. Although I did have the entire cooling system out already. I think one paper towel was enough to clean it up. I drained the block after I pulled the heads

Quick Reply: drain plug Q