LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Code 36

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 06:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Code 36

Well the PCM came back for my Mom's car today. Got it installed, now its popping a code 36. Car sat for a week of course while the PCM was out to Ion. When I clear the code it comes back instantly. Whats the chance its just the harness and not the Opti? Got a spare opti laying around but damn I'm in the middle of a motor swap on a 94 Formula, I'm sick of everything in the driveway giving me hell. I just lost 3rd and 4th in my truck the other day, my cars running rich, and now this on her car.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

It's possible that it could be a wiring issue. Can you get a hold of a new opti harness? Maybe try to ohm out the wires from the opti to the PCM.
Otherwise is new opti time.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Yeah, I've got a 94 Opti just laying here. Thinking of taking the cap off, if the guts look ok I'll cap and rotor it and stick it on the car. Came off of a running car. Also have the harness from that car, I'll swap it, if the code won't go away I'll start pulling it apart.

If it rains it pours. Can't go a week around here without automotive catastrophe.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by camar0corey
Yeah, I've got a 94 Opti just laying here. Thinking of taking the cap off, if the guts look ok I'll cap and rotor it and stick it on the car. Came off of a running car. Also have the harness from that car, I'll swap it, if the code won't go away I'll start pulling it apart.

If it rains it pours. Can't go a week around here without automotive catastrophe.
Just be sure to test fire it before you get everything put back on.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:21 PM
TECH Junkie

What size are the bolts for the crank hub? I thought they were 12x1.75, but they didn't work when I got home. So much for the bolt board at the parts store! I thought I would have had this car done last night in one quick deal, but of course the balancer didn't want to separate from the hub. I haven't used my puller in a few years, must have misplaced whatever bolts I had used at the time.
Old 08-06-2009, 04:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

What size are the bolts for the crank hub? I thought they were 12x1.75, but they didn't work when I got home. So much for the bolt board at the parts store! I thought I would have had this car done last night in one quick deal, but of course the balancer didn't want to separate from the hub. I haven't used my puller in a few years, must have misplaced whatever bolts I had used at the time.
You could use a three jaw puller.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:57 PM
TECH Junkie

I actually ended up using a three jaw puller. I'll try to take pictures tomorrow. Someone had mutilated the balancer and the lip on the hub.

OK here is the fun part now. I'll do a quick timeline.
My Mom picks up car about a month ago. Previous owner states it has a bolt on tune in it, whatever that means. Car runs OK, idles really low. Obviously not tuned for the 503 cam that is in it.

I send the PCM out to Ion.

PCM comes back, car now has code 36. Still idles fine, well actually decently now that it had a tune in it. Seemed to drive OK, but takes forever to actually fire up.

I swap on my friends Opti, harness, and unmolested balancer left over from his 94. I test fire the car, car fired right up. Was some popping and check engine light, I figured as much as IAT, coolant temp, and MAF were all unplugged. I proceed to reinstall everything else.

Currently the waterpump is leaking like all getout, so now I get to pull it all apart tomorrow. The thing that concerns me is that I have no SES light, but there seems to be a miss now. I'll get video of it in the morning for hopefully a better analysis. I'll double check the wires. Hopefully I can get some opinions on the video by the time I'm ready to put the waterpump back on. The Opti came from a running car that had no ignition issues. The miss is kinda weird, seems to not be a constant thing. Guess I'll get some better RTV and let it setup for a day before hand this next time. Still need ideas on why car would develop a miss other than the possibility I messed up two of the spark plug wires.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

I actually ended up using a three jaw puller. I'll try to take pictures tomorrow. Someone had mutilated the balancer and the lip on the hub.

OK here is the fun part now. I'll do a quick timeline.
My Mom picks up car about a month ago. Previous owner states it has a bolt on tune in it, whatever that means. Car runs OK, idles really low. Obviously not tuned for the 503 cam that is in it.

I send the PCM out to Ion.

PCM comes back, car now has code 36. Still idles fine, well actually decently now that it had a tune in it. Seemed to drive OK, but takes forever to actually fire up.

I swap on my friends Opti, harness, and unmolested balancer left over from his 94. I test fire the car, car fired right up. Was some popping and check engine light, I figured as much as IAT, coolant temp, and MAF were all unplugged. I proceed to reinstall everything else.

Currently the waterpump is leaking like all getout, so now I get to pull it all apart tomorrow. The thing that concerns me is that I have no SES light, but there seems to be a miss now. I'll get video of it in the morning for hopefully a better analysis. I'll double check the wires. Hopefully I can get some opinions on the video by the time I'm ready to put the waterpump back on. The Opti came from a running car that had no ignition issues. The miss is kinda weird, seems to not be a constant thing. Guess I'll get some better RTV and let it setup for a day before hand this next time. Still need ideas on why car would develop a miss other than the possibility I messed up two of the spark plug wires.
Did you get water on the opti?
Old 08-07-2009, 10:01 AM
TECH Junkie

I'm thinking that is what happened. Here is a video of it this morning. Fires right up and doesn't hiccup at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tn6tMfbU6wQ

Well I guess I feel OK after this. I'm gonna start tearing it back down so I can reseal the waterpump, let it sit over night I guess to setup.
Old 08-08-2009, 04:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Ok scratch that. Put it back on the road today. Misfires. It also shuts down when you come to a stop? Runs like complete *** under 2500 RPMs. This car just had to run great on the day we test drove it, but a month later is really getting me frustrated.

Could it be the tune? I'm starting to wish I never removed the PCM. Also could it be a headgasket? Can a head gasket go and not get coolant in the combustion chamber? I have no smoke nor do I have fluid in the exhaust tips. Oil pressure is great though.

I'm going to pull the driver side valve cover tomorrow I think.

Last edited by camar0corey; 08-08-2009 at 04:53 PM.
Old 08-09-2009, 04:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Also tomorrow I have a coil/ICM laying around, I'll swap that out first before I order a Opti.
Old 08-09-2009, 06:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Also tomorrow I have a coil/ICM laying around, I'll swap that out first before I order a Opti.
Alright, post results.
Old 08-10-2009, 02:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Well its head gasket time. Fun fun!!
Old 08-10-2009, 02:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Wow.. what makes you want to pull that now?
Old 08-10-2009, 03:58 PM
TECH Junkie

I've got that lovely oil/coolant mixture under the valve covers. This car has been a pain in the ***, hopefully not much else appears wrong as I pull it apart. Had a question about egr blockoff plates, do any of them out there for sale come with something to plug the hole if the headers had emissions provisions? Already have the AIR holes capped off, worried about the little spot where the egr tube hooked up to the header.

If not what do people use to plug up the header at that point?
Old 08-10-2009, 04:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

I've got that lovely oil/coolant mixture under the valve covers. This car has been a pain in the ***, hopefully not much else appears wrong as I pull it apart. Had a question about egr blockoff plates, do any of them out there for sale come with something to plug the hole if the headers had emissions provisions? Already have the AIR holes capped off, worried about the little spot where the egr tube hooked up to the header.

If not what do people use to plug up the header at that point?
Block off plates should include a little plate for the exhaust manifold where the egr tube used to be.

Time for Ai H/C!!!
Old 08-10-2009, 04:31 PM
TECH Junkie

I am not doing H/C on my Mom's car. She just wants to drive the thing already.

Quick Reply: Code 36