LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Out of the bottom question...

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 07:19 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Out of the bottom question...

Is it possible to drop it out of the bottom in a 7 foot high garage ? (rear wheels will be on the ground and hood will be removed)

i pulled it out of the top once with a happy hooker and a very short chain in the same garage, this time i need to go through the bottom, hope its possible, has anyone ever did it in a tight hight like this !!!
Old 08-26-2009, 07:25 AM
TECH Regular

Sure, I don't know if you'll have enough clearance with the rear wheels on the ground though, might need to get them up.

The front of my car actually stuck up to where the door was so I'd be surprised if I even had 7'. Just tighten up the chain around the swaybar mounts and strap the cord to the engine lift arm.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:00 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Easily.
Put the rear tires on ramps. Usual stands under the front till its time to drop the K-member. Put a ATV jack under the k-member and lower it out of the car. I used a cherry picker to lift the car high enough by usung the steel crossmember in front of the radiator. Pull the whole thing out.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup, did it in my garage with no problems.

This was the closest I could get to showing where the chain goes - I don't have any good pics of that:
Old 08-26-2009, 10:13 AM
TECH Resident

I had my rear wheels on the ground when I did it, just keep a jack under the rear end to take a little of the suspension slack out of it.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:25 AM
Staging Lane

are your rear wheels sittin on the zr1's
Old 08-26-2009, 10:54 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^^Thats what I was thinkin!!!
OP how come It has to come out the bottom?
Old 08-26-2009, 11:04 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thats how I did it in the pics, with the cherry picker. Except I had ramps under the rear. I would not chance that what is shown in place of ramps.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:05 AM
Staging Lane

crap, nm, i just looked at the first pic.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by AChotrod
Cause that's the way it should come out.

Originally Posted by monster81
Is it possible to drop it out of the bottom in a 7 foot high garage ? (rear wheels will be on the ground and hood will be removed)

i pulled it out of the top once with a happy hooker and a very short chain in the same garage, this time i need to go through the bottom, hope its possible, has anyone ever did it in a tight hight like this !!!
OP, I dropped my LS1 out of the bottom in a one car garage with (I kid you not) about 1' of space on either side of the car. I don't know the exact height of the garage, but I do know that if I didn't do anything about the hood, it was going to hit the cealing (rear tires were on ramps). So what I did was used a little bungie cord and held the hood closed a little. You can also place a rubber mat or something else over the top of the cherry picker arm and rest your hood on that. I used a heavy duty nylon tie strap to lift the body, I made sure to make it as short as I could.

Once you drop it out the bottom, you'll never pull it from the top.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by laux06
are your rear wheels sittin on the zr1's
Yessir - junk Zr1s but Zr1s none the less. I was in an accident and the tires got curb rash so insurance replaced the rims entirely. Used them to raise it up because that's what most of the writeups recommended doing.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:42 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by My95Z
Sure, I don't know if you'll have enough clearance with the rear wheels on the ground though, might need to get them up.

The front of my car actually stuck up to where the door was so I'd be surprised if I even had 7'. Just tighten up the chain around the swaybar mounts and strap the cord to the engine lift arm.
i was thinking that since my car is at stock hight beside the 28" rear tires i might be fine with the rear on the ground

Originally Posted by AChotrod
i have all the supporting tools and equipment to drop it out the bottom this time, so i just wanted to find out myself wich route is eaier for me top or bottom

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
Cause that's the way it should come out.

OP, I dropped my LS1 out of the bottom in a one car garage with (I kid you not) about 1' of space on either side of the car. I don't know the exact height of the garage, but I do know that if I didn't do anything about the hood, it was going to hit the cealing (rear tires were on ramps). So what I did was used a little bungie cord and held the hood closed a little. You can also place a rubber mat or something else over the top of the cherry picker arm and rest your hood on that. I used a heavy duty nylon tie strap to lift the body, I made sure to make it as short as I could.

Once you drop it out the bottom, you'll never pull it from the top.
i have enough room on the sides, its the hight i was worried about. ill be using motorcycle fastner straps instead of chains and ill try to pull it up with the hood on, hope it works

appreciate all ur help guys ..
meissenation: thanx for sharing those pics ,that was very helpfull
Old 08-26-2009, 12:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Default More pics

Here's some pics of us doing a LS1 conversion on my buddies '99 Firebird.

Pulling LS1/4L60E from wrecked '01 SS.

LS1 rolled out on various dolly's, body sits on a pair of 7-ton jack stands w/ rear on ramps to allow the cherry picker to be unhooked and allow the engine to roll out. I had to remove the air damn to roll the engine out, if you leave the tires on and tie the two shocks together (or bolt on a STB), you can roll out the engine like a wheel barrel by picking up the trans and rolling it out.

Pulling v6/a4. Rolled it out on the tires.

Reinstalling v6 engine/trans/k-member into donor car to allow it to roll out of the driveway and onto a trailor.

Last edited by ss.slp.ls1; 08-26-2009 at 12:58 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:05 PM
TECH Resident

^^ thats an unconventional garage for ya
Old 08-26-2009, 01:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ThreeHonks
^^ thats an unconventional garage for ya
LOL, that wasn't the one car garage I was refering to, but it's about just as big as that car shade.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Born/Raised North East, MD Lived in VA, NC, MI Back in Yorktown, Va

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
LOL, that wasn't the one car garage I was refering to, but it's about just as big as that car shade.
mine was exac like that just threw a tarp overtop of some bars to keep shade and out of the weather lol it worked who cares. haha
Old 08-26-2009, 07:56 PM
TECH Regular

great pics ss.slp.ls1,,now im in no doubt that ill be fine with the space i have . guess ill have to check if i can get couple of spare wheels from the neighbors tomorow to sit the rears on, just to be on the safe side
Old 08-29-2009, 03:38 AM
TECH Regular

so now im almost done and getting ready to drop it, but im stuck with the trans link (A4), how to disconnect the shifter cable from the trans lever

Last edited by monster81; 08-29-2009 at 05:42 AM.
Old 08-29-2009, 10:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Born/Raised North East, MD Lived in VA, NC, MI Back in Yorktown, Va

there should be a lil 9/16 nut on the tranny that you unbolt and then pull one of the tranny pan bolts out 7/16 that holds the bracket to the tranny then just wiggle the cable and everything off. if thats what your asking for.
Old 08-30-2009, 03:36 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 1slo_camaro
there should be a lil 9/16 nut on the tranny that you unbolt and then pull one of the tranny pan bolts out 7/16 that holds the bracket to the tranny then just wiggle the cable and everything off. if thats what your asking for.

yup got it off, and the engine is out too ...ahhh but i really feel 'out the bottom' was easier than the 'top'