LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

ABS INOP light-because of AIR/EGR removal?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 03:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default ABS INOP light-because of AIR/EGR removal?

My buddy and I have both got headers on our LT1 birds and had all the EGR/AIR systems removed. The check engine light comes on, which is no suprise, but we both had our ABS INOP lights come on as well.

Does this have anything to do with the EGR/AIR removal or is it just a coincidence? Im hoping it goes away with the tune im getting done soon.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would tend to think that the speed sensor that goes to your front calipers might have rested against one of the headers and burned before attributing the EGR/AIR removal. The wire runs right down the side of the wheel well and is perfectly placed that if your headers are really close to the frame that they'd probably melt.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:30 AM
TECH Junkie

huh, thats strange...because like I said before, It wasn't that way before. I'll havta take a peep this afternoon

thanks
Old 10-08-2009, 12:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Am I understanding the post correctly that you installed the headers and removed EGR/AIR at the same time? EGR and AIR have nothing to do with the ABS, but like I said if that speed sensor wire that goes to the front wheel hubs melts then your ABS INOP light will turn on - or it's even possible that it came disconnected as there's a jumper plug that's on the frame on each side of where the headers are.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by meissenation
Am I understanding the post correctly that you installed the headers and removed EGR/AIR at the same time? EGR and AIR have nothing to do with the ABS, but like I said if that speed sensor wire that goes to the front wheel hubs melts then your ABS INOP light will turn on - or it's even possible that it came disconnected as there's a jumper plug that's on the frame on each side of where the headers are.
No, the headers have been on for about 3 years, and where originally hooked up with the EGR/AIR setup. As the hoses cracked on the setup, I had it all removed/blocked off. After this was done, the ABS INOP light came on along with the check engine light. (this was about a month ago)

My buddy's 94 did the same thing when he got his EGR/AIR removed...the brakes in the rear are new this year as of a few months ago, and the front ones where put on last year and I took them apart about 2 weeks ago and looked them over-Everything looks fine.

I still have to look at the driver's side wheel well to try and find that connection.
Old 11-30-2009, 04:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have this issue as well... except we installed LTs and removed AIR/EGR at the same time. Suddenly no ABS?
Old 11-30-2009, 06:47 PM
TECH Junkie

yea, I couldn't tell you what the deal is. The ABS seems to work fine, but the light is on. It happened after I took out all my EGR/AIR stuff, and it seems to be that im not the only person with this problem. I checked all the wires under the hood, and nothing I can see has been dismantled or burned. I'm hoping it goes away with the tune I'm going to get done this winter when I have the EGR AIR stuff deleted from the tune.

Does anybody else know anything about this?
Old 11-30-2009, 07:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hahaha the tune wont do anything man to get rid of the ABS light. there is nothing in the PCM anyways that will change that. seems like a coincidence that something got bumped or whatever during the EGR removal.

what it could be? i have no idea. but i do know for sure a tune to delete the AIR/EGR isnt gonna do squate to eliminate the ABS light
Old 11-30-2009, 08:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Badazz 97 TA
hahaha the tune wont do anything man to get rid of the ABS light. there is nothing in the PCM anyways that will change that. seems like a coincidence that something got bumped or whatever during the EGR removal.

what it could be? i have no idea. but i do know for sure a tune to delete the AIR/EGR isnt gonna do squate to eliminate the ABS light
kind of what I figured and was afraid of.

It's weird, this happened to my buddy's 94 TA also...and he didnt even have the air pump removed, he just blocked it off on the headers...huh...
Old 11-30-2009, 10:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It's a mystery. Doesn't really matter that much to me though, because we'll be deleting the ABS and installing a proportioning valve anyway.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:24 AM
TECH Junkie

ive read on other sites that sometimes burnt out bulbs can **** with the abs and cruise control, but i dont have a single light out on the car anywhere...idk
Old 12-01-2009, 12:56 AM
Staging Lane

My abs inop light has always been on since i got it. My buddies all are also. just figured it was normal i guess. Never bothered me.
Old 12-01-2009, 02:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

3rd brake light. Or something happened to the ABS brain in the engine bay.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by I8ASaleen
3rd brake light. Or something happened to the ABS brain in the engine bay.
that's what i've heard and read, neither of them are burnt out. I might replace them again just to see if it works for some reason tho...
Old 12-01-2009, 11:45 PM
On The Tree

ABS is computer controlled, and it should throw codes. Not sure if Auto Zone or someone like that has a code reader, a dealership certainly would, and I know on some cars it's read through the ALDL and there are terminals you can jump, count the flashing lights and you have your code.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:21 AM
Launching!

I have the same problem ever sence i put in the long tubes and no EGR, The abs light came on as well. but i dont feel like the the braking system feels right either so I need to check mine out. and Yes my cruise now doesnt work either... Ive owned 2 different camaros with long tubes same issue.. on a 94 and a 95

Last edited by CARFREAKS; 12-02-2009 at 08:16 PM.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:20 PM
TECH Junkie

really? my cruise doesn't work either....wtf is the deal here?
Old 12-02-2009, 09:36 PM
S2K
On The Tree

Location: Bristol, TN/Knoxville, TN/Mooresville, NC/Phoenix, AZ

Does the light come on and stay on, or is it intermittent? Get the codes pulled. Easy check would be to check fuses. Without knowing the code though it's just a guessing game.

I know you said you don't have light out on the car, but did you get someone to depress the brake pedal and make sure all of the lights brighten?
Old 12-03-2009, 10:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

None of my fuses are blown and I'm not throwing any ABS codes. The light stays lit up 100% of the time I'm driving.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:43 PM
TECH Junkie

None of my lights are burnt out, they all light up when the brake pedal is pushed.
My ABS light is also on 100% of the time.

Quick Reply: ABS INOP light-because of AIR/EGR removal?