LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Supercharger on LT1

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2004, 01:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Supercharger on LT1

I am considering saving up some money for spring/summer and getting a supercharger put on my car. I was wondering what kind of superchargers would be best for my car. I've got a 1995 LT1 T/A with 60k miles on it. The car is basically stock with a Flowmasters muffler, Hypertech PP3 w/ thermostat, and a K&N filter. Any advice as to which supercharger(brand, model, psi) would be greatly appreciated. Also, would I need to upgrade spark plugs, fuel injectors, cams.... anything of that nature. Please keep in mind that I'm not very mechanically inclined . If i'm not able to run more than 6 psi boost in my car... a supercharger is probably not what I will get unless I can get significant performance gains for <6. Maybe nitrous would be a way to go? I've been told by many people that if I don't get direct injection nitrous (and have it properly installed) I will have to do some rebuilding of my engine after several thousand miles. Is that true? I suppose I am just wanting to skip some common early mods(cat-back, intake...) and go straight for the gold. But I would still get the normal bolt-ons eventually.

Thanks to those who take the time to read and respond.

Steve
Old 01-20-2004, 06:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To add a supercharger, you'll need to add a good deal of things...

To start, your best choices are either an ATI Procharger setup or a Vortech Supercharger. The quality of each will be about the same, but the ATI will be a few hundred bucks more expensive. The benfit of an ATI is that it comes with an intercooler.

As for your current mods, you'll want to get rid of the HPP3. It does little to nothing, and I've seen it cause more power losses than gains for many peoples' cars. The Flowmaster will sound nice, but you can definitely gain power by swapping to a different catback.

I'll handle the Vortech, since that's the model I'm familiar with. I won't go into detail about all of the different trims, since I'm between classes and I don't have much time... Anyhow, your basic Vortech S-Trim supercharger will require you to tap your oil pan, swap fuel pumps, install an FMU (so that you can run stock injectors), install a few gauges, etc etc... Those are the basics. You will not be able to run more than 6 psi on a stock motor. Add in the fact that you'll need a full exhaust and a rebuilt bottom-end to run more psi, and the fact that your not very mechanically inclined, and you'll probably want to stay N/A and wait a little while to do Nitrous.

Many times I've considered scrapping my Supercharged setup because I don't have the knowledge needed to tune it successfully... however, I'm learning, and progressing mroe every day.

My suggestion to you would be to forget big mods for now, sign up internet forums like Camaroz28.com (Thats a big one..), LS1tech, and LT1tech, and READ READ READ!! The single best mod you can start with is knowledge. You'll want to learn a great deal more about bolt-ons before you even think of trying a forced induction or nitrous injected setup. You can make 400RWHP without the use of a power-adder... that's my suggestion.

Anywho, good luck with whatever you plan to do, and if you do plan to go F/I or N20, you can always ask questions here or at Camaroz28.com and there will be more than enough people to help.

Old 01-20-2004, 07:37 PM
On The Tree

Running a supercharger on stock internals isn't the brightest idea ever. But with some proper "intelligence" it can be done. First off I highly reccommend the ATI procharger for it's self lubrication, you don't have to tap the oil pan. You can get AS&M midlengths and a SLP loudmouth or similar catback for a decent price to complement the S/C and save your motor.
Here are you costs
~$3500 supercharger package
~$800 AS&M midlengths, ~$500 SLP shorties
$350 SLP loudmouth

So your looking at approximately $4500 worth of modifications. You should be able to install these yourself. There are many guides to be found on the net for install procedures, or if you run into trouble the people here can get you on the right track. Eventually you should get forged internals so you can run more boost , and save your engine. GL hope this helps.

P.S. Boost is addictive!
Old 01-21-2004, 03:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Supercharger On 60k LT1

Check your PM's
Old 01-21-2004, 07:23 AM
TECH Addict

My goal for my LT1 is to get a 355, ATI Procharger, forged internals, and A LOT of boost!
Random.....
Old 01-21-2004, 09:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by OneMeanZ
My goal for my LT1 is to get a 355, ATI Procharger, forged internals, and A LOT of boost!
Random.....

I have had a blower ( vortech ) on my car for 2 years now. The stock internals are fine. It will hold up just fine. Mine has take lots of abuse. 30,000 MILES . If you get the blower. You have to get headers. I dont know if you intrested in buying a used system . But i may be going to a twin turbo set up in a few months.
Old 01-31-2004, 12:51 PM
Teching In

all cars are different and will handle diff abuse,,i put a ati 600b 2 core intercooler and 5lbs of boost ,bbk shorties and mac catback car made an impressive 412rwhp,but it only lasted 1 week,busted holes in 2 pistons and broke 6 rings,wasnt what i was wanting to see, now it is .30 355 stock crank,h-beam rods,weisco pistons,ported heads and matching intake,cg cam from comp 230/236 598/608 on 114 lobe sep, ele water pimp,cloyes double roller, conv to obd1 ,dyna tech lts ,4in mufflex,and a bad *** tune from www.pcmforless ,has no problems holding 10-11lbs, i would go with a small shot of the laughin gas until you could get some good internals,good luck,mike

540 rwhp 490rwtq
Old 01-31-2004, 08:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by blown96
cg cam from comp 230/236
That seems like a bit too much intake duration for forced induction... your probably bleeding off a decent amount of boost, if i were you i'd try a swap to a smaller cam and see what happens
Old 01-31-2004, 11:41 PM
WARNING! Bad Seller Alert

I would go with a Procharger D-1sc and a 383 stroker.
Old 02-01-2004, 09:43 PM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I use to have a SC'd TA. As a matter of fact it was a 95 TA. I dropped my car off at a local place called Lee's High Tech and he gave me back a 565rwhp/510rwtq monster. I had a D-1 ATI setup and I was running 12psi. Lee also hooked me up with a 355ci forged motor and some killer FI heads. The car drove like stock until you put your foot in it. He had my car for 3 months and it was awesome when I got it back. I wanted to do the same with the LS1, but as you know we are still working out bugs..
Old 02-08-2010, 12:58 PM
Teching In

so im looking at getting an s trim for my lt1. i have to go check it out and i want to make sure that he gives me all the parts i need. so im not sure what all im looking for in the kit. like hoses brakets clapts. i know i have to get twin fuel pumps, bigger injectors and boost gauge
Old 02-08-2010, 11:15 PM
TECH Regular

why is everyone telling the OP to get headers when his sig says he has jet hot lts?
Old 02-08-2010, 11:28 PM
LT1
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

lol, because this thread is over 6 years old.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:53 AM
On The Tree

i have been seein lots of digging lately, i think people screaming use the search button might actually be starting to work
Old 02-09-2010, 03:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

awesome...lmao
Old 02-09-2010, 08:24 AM

It's funny that so many people complain that no one uses the search, but then people start complaining when an old thread gets brought back up, haha.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:20 AM
TECH Regular

lol wow i didn't even check the date. my bad lol. i wasn't complaining i was just like uh wtf? but ok makes sense haha sorry!

Quick Reply: Supercharger on LT1