LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

new to this site need help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 01:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to this site need help!!!

ok i have a 93 z28 with basic mods and 38k original miles. i don't plan on doing anything big with the car. recently it started ticking from what seems to be my injector or possibly one of the lifters. if i replace the injectors should i go back to stock size or go with bigger injectors? any help on figuring out the problem would be nice too. i use fuel injector cleaner atleast once a month while running premium fuel, and this ticking started after i changed my oil. ??????
Old 01-21-2010, 01:46 PM
On The Tree

sure thats what the tick is coming from because i have a tick sounding like its coming from there but its actually the header gasket
Old 01-21-2010, 02:25 PM
Staging Lane

i guess thats possible too but i've never messed with my headers/exhaust manifolds. i'll haveto check it out though. it really only makes the noise once the car is warmed up and the noise does get louder as i accelerate. djjab57 who changed their name? and what does that haveto do with my questions?
Old 01-21-2010, 02:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pewter_z28
i guess thats possible too but i've never messed with my headers/exhaust manifolds. i'll haveto check it out though. it really only makes the noise once the car is warmed up and the noise does get louder as i accelerate. djjab57 who changed their name? and what does that haveto do with my questions?
if it gets louder when you give it gas and quiets down when idle most likely its an exhaust leak somewhere.
Old 01-21-2010, 03:36 PM
Staging Lane

alright thanks people... keep me up on the information and possible causes. i'll be sure to check everything it could possibly be.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:43 PM
Staging Lane

yeah i just got done checking my injectors and they're fine. the more i listen it does sound like my drivers exhaust gasket has a leak. wouldn't an exhaust leak cause a check engine light though? i guess i mines well just buy headers while i'm changing the gaskets ... i'm sure its a bitch to change the gaskets so i mines well get something good out of it.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

An exhaust leak won't set an SES light.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:28 AM
On The Tree

Default first

First check out what code is the computer throwing. As far as the ticking noise goes it could be a loose roller rocker. Good luck and keep us updated
Old 01-22-2010, 12:57 PM
Staging Lane

alright thanks, i woulda thought if it is an exhaust leak and it's before my 02 sensors it would mess with that and throw a light on but i guess not. does anyone know where i can find some good shorty headers? i'd rather just switch the gaskets/headers and leave the stock y pipe. i prefer used ones if anyone has a set let me know and maybe we can make a deal. i have looked in the classifieds on this site but nothing stood out.
Old 01-22-2010, 03:47 PM
Staging Lane

hey guys,

once again i listened to the noise for a few minutes while revving the car, and realized it does not get louder upon acceleration. the engine just makes more noise and it in return sounds like the ticking gets louder but it doesn't. so i looked online and found some post about putting diesel fuel in the oil to clean everything. then switching the oil to 10w30 and that should help get rid of the noise if it's from the lifter. if this doesn't sound like a good ideal let me know but i figure it's worth a try for the 50 cents of diesel fuel i need to do it, and the cleaner aferwards for a few dollars.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Putting anything other than oil in a motor sounds like an extremely bad idea to me. This "ticking" can be any number of things. Exhaust leak. Misfiring. Lifters. Rod knock. When's the last time you changed your oil? Before my rebuild I thought the tick was just some small issue until I did an oil change and saw all the glitter.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:32 PM
Staging Lane

this ticking started 2000 plus miles ago after my oil change. after reading for hours online it may just need the oil changed again. this car sat in a garage for 10 years then was only driven once a month for the next 4 years. this may be deposit build up in the oil and or too much oil added after the change. it's been cold so i havent been out checking my fluid levels like i normally do. but tomorrow i should be able to check/change and inspect everything unless it rains again. i'll let ya'll know what happens... if this helps it's a rundown of recent tune-ups and basic replacements.

i bought the car with 31k miles may 2009

changed the oil around 33k miles
changed the fuel filter at 33k miles
changed the spark plugs at 33k miles
changed oil around 35k miles
changed the trans filter at 36k miles
changed plug wires and ignition coil at 37k miles
changed oil around 37k miles

car has right around 39k now so its time for an oil change anyways
Old 02-21-2010, 03:56 PM
Staging Lane

alright i waited awhile and this ticking is still going on. been busy and don't want to waste money at my mechanics shop if it is a simple fix i just can't find. any new ideals or information?

Quick Reply: new to this site need help!!!