This is to help all thoughs out who are wanting to swap over from fuel injection to Carb and for thoughs who are sick of doing the opti 5 nuckle shuffle!
PART 1..ENGINE INFO AND PARTS NEEDED
These are the main engine parts you will need to use to convert over to the carb setup
1. G.m lt1 dual plane intake or you can run some other gen 1 intake. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/NAL-24502592/
2. G.m vented opti timeing cover because you will need to use the part below and it only fits vented covers http://paceperformance.com/index.asp...&ProdID=130501
3. You will need this indicater so you can read your timing. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/NAL-12367600/ Edit #2 an 3 are optional now,after more research ive found out that if you just weld up your water pump drive hole if your running a electric pump and the opti hole you then can just run a cheap gen 1 sbc timing pointer they run about 8$ at autozone.i know for sure they work on the non vented covers..this option right here will save you a nice chunk of change.heres a pic of a spectra 4237 on a motor http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l2...8/57af2f6f.jpg
4. Now you will have to change your stock balancer to a pinned style with timing marks so you can set your timing http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PFS-80030/
sfi aproved one http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PFS-90030/
PART 2..IGNITION SYSTEM INFO AND PARTS NEEDED
These are the routes you can go for your ignition system,their is a couple ways so i will list them all for you guys and girls so you can choose what suits your needs best.
HEI STYLE SETUPS
1. Summit hei distributer http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-850001R/
Flame thrower module so you have better spark output in the upper rpms http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PNX-D2000/
2. Msd hei distributer,you dont need the module posted above because it has enough spark output. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MSD-8362/
3. Heres the rpm module that you would need on either distr msd or summit to have a rpm rev limter or you can just buy the kit below as #4..if you get this you dont need the pertronix flame thrower one posted under the summit distributer and in all honesty if your going this route just buy the summit distributer http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MSD-83645/
4. Here is a complete msd hei setup/kit you can use along with the summit distributer that gives you a 6al box http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MSD-8500/
POINTS STYLE SYSTEM
1. This kit is what you can go with if you do not want to go the hei route an would like to use the older points style system for ignition http://www.jegs.com/i/MSD+Ignition/121/6421K/10002/-1
Plug wires this is up to you for what you would like to use such as either custom kits or reg kits.You will be using gen 1 style sbc kits though now.
Final part will be a distributer hold down bracket for either route you use for ignition system http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-400500/
PART 3. FUEL SYSTEM INFO AN PARTS NEEDED
You will need to change your fuel pump maybe,I say this because some get away with there pump they already have and some dont.Im not going to list fuel pumps in here because thats up to you and i do not know your hp output.Im also not going to list fuel lines because thats up to you.
Now depending on your deal,If you use the stock pump you will be running a return style system an i recommend running your return line 1 size larger then your inlet system do to the fi style pumps being high pressure pumps.
If you swap the pump to a non high pressure style of pump you can either run whats called a dead headed system which is a system with no return line or you can run a bypass style regulator and run a return style system.You can run say a holley blue or black with the stock tank and re do all your fuel lines if you want..I then would just take my fuel pump out my stock tank,leave the stock sending unit and put a bulk head fitting into the tank..then just run a line off that into a filter and then my fuel pump after that if i wanted to use the stock tank..i would use the stock return port an do the same if i wasnt running a dead headed system..if running a dead head make sure to cap your return line port..
1. Dead headed system reg http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-12-803/
2. bypass return reg http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AEI-13301/
theres cheaper and more costly regs you can pick from,these are 2 ive used.
3. Now if your using the stock tank and rear lines you will need hard line fitting adapters for the fuel line running forward and your return line..you could get away with using stock but its better to swap out to the size you need and upgrade to new lines i feel. http://www.summitracing.com/search/D...eyword=adapter
4. Fuel pressure gauge so you can set your pressure.You will need an inline adapter or you can get a carb feed line kit that has a npt fitting so you can attach your gauge. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AEI-15632/
Link to fittings page for this http://www.summitracing.com/search/D...=fuel+pressure
5. Carb feed lines,heres the page so you can choose the ones you need depending the carb your using http://www.summitracing.com/search/?...Lines%20&dds=1
6. Carb,you can go alot of routes this way but heres 2 4160 carbs you can get that will work or you can get a 4150 style double pumper and such,it all will depend on your needs
Eletronic choke http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-0-80508S/
Manual choke http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-0-3310C/
7. Carb linkage an throttle brackets will depend on your carb so heres a page http://www.summitracing.com/search/P...+cable+bracket
If you get 1 of the carbs listed above or a 4150 this will work if your running a manual valve body trans http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-20-88/
PART 4..OTHER USEFUL INFO
1. When using a 700r4 you can remove the pc completely,if you have a 4l60e you will have to swap over to a 700r4,th350 or th400 if you want to ditch the pc.the 4l60e trans uses the info from the engine from the pc for when to shift i believe.
2. If you want to keep the 4l60e and ditch the ecu you will need something along the lines of this to run the trans(thanks somlt1 for the info) http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TCI-377500/
3. Now just run your fan off a manual switch
4. If your water pump is a electric one you can just run it on a manual switch also.
5. For the gauges you can just get manual gauges an stuff..lights,wipers and such are not run by the ecu..
6. Your fuel pump you can wire up to either come on when you turn your ignition or you can run it also off a manual switch like the fan,water pump and such.A good saftey trick is run a oil pressure kill switch inline so if your in a wreck and your knocked out and motor is off your pump dont stay on feeding a fire or spitting fuel every where.
I beleive this covers all the info to make a full swap and to give you and idea of the cost of it.If there is any suggestions,tips or other usefull info please post it up to help others out.