Go Back   LS1TECH > SBC-BBC-LT1-LT4 PERFORMANCE > LT1-LT4 Modifications
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

LT1-LT4 Modifications
1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Welcome to LS1Tech.com!
Welcome to LS1Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join LS1Tech.com today!


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-11-2010, 03:40 PM   #1
Teching In
Garage is empty, add now
 
IROCZTPI's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: STL area.
Posts: 21
Default LT1 cam for my 350 TPI

This is my 1st post on this site but I've been reading the threads on here for along time. I'm a member on thirdgen.org but recently I decided that the site is not very helpful when it comes to asking a question. Here are a few questions/comments I have for you guys.

Here's my plan:

I'm thinking about buying the LT1 cam from a 93 Camaro Z28 LT1. I found one for $25 on Craigslist. He's also got the aluminum heads ready to bolt on with the rockers, roller lifters, push rods, pistons and rods ready to install and flywheel. The prices on the other stuff isn't bad. The heads are $200, the most expensive of all. Then my other question is would these parts interchange well with the Holley Stealth Ram Intake set-up? I'm buying this also because I need to upgrade my TPI intake piece along with with fuel rails, etc.

I think I also need to do some chip burning for the LT1 cam correct?

Well, I wanted to ask you guys how hard it'll be to put the cam alone in my TPI? I've already got a cam in my car but it was put in by a former owner so I'm thinking of just doing my own switch.

I figured this would be the place to ask & also, I'm very mechanically inclined and I do alot of work myself, so I'm hoping this could be something that I could do with myself, a friend or 2 and a some jacks.

Thank you.

Last edited by IROCZTPI; 07-11-2010 at 03:50 PM..
IROCZTPI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 06:19 PM   #2
TECH Senior Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
RamAir95TA's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 2
Join Date: May 2005
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 9,488
Send a message via AIM to RamAir95TA
Default

LT1 heads won't work with your conventional gen 2 SBC due to the reverse flow cooling.

The cam, however, will.
__________________
95 T/A AI 200cc stock castings, 383, Performabuilt 4L60E, Ford 9", Tuned by PCMforless 3340#,
10.81 @ 124.16, 1.43 60' Video of 10-second pass 455whp, 445tq - Dyno Vid

LT1 PARTS For Sale, MSD Opti, steam crossover tube, BMR swaybar, MAF, etc.
RamAir95TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 06:21 PM   #3
Teching In
Garage is empty, add now
 
IROCZTPI's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: STL area.
Posts: 21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamAir95TA View Post
LT1 heads won't work with your conventional gen 2 SBC due to the reverse flow cooling.

The cam, however, will.
Would the other stuff work such as the roller lifters for example? The heads I knew would require some modifications that I don't want to deal with. I found out after I posted this thread earlier.
IROCZTPI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 06:23 PM   #4
TECH Senior Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
RamAir95TA's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 2
Join Date: May 2005
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 9,488
Send a message via AIM to RamAir95TA
Default

I would think that the lifters and everything else would work, but I'm not a TPI guy. Just double-check.
__________________
95 T/A AI 200cc stock castings, 383, Performabuilt 4L60E, Ford 9", Tuned by PCMforless 3340#,
10.81 @ 124.16, 1.43 60' Video of 10-second pass 455whp, 445tq - Dyno Vid

LT1 PARTS For Sale, MSD Opti, steam crossover tube, BMR swaybar, MAF, etc.
RamAir95TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 08:11 PM   #5
Teching In
Garage is empty, add now
 
IROCZTPI's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: STL area.
Posts: 21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamAir95TA View Post
I would think that the lifters and everything else would work, but I'm not a TPI guy. Just double-check.
Yeah, I'm working on trying to find out right now.
IROCZTPI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 08:31 PM   #6
10 Second Club
Garage is empty, add now
 
joelster's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,426
Default

If your IROC is an original 350 IROC then it was 1987 and up. All '87+ TPI motors were roller cammed so yes the cam in an LT1 will bolt right up. What a collosal waste of time though. A stock LT1 cam is by no means a performance camshaft. Actually iirc the 1989 305 TPI IROC cam has more lift and duration than an LT1 cam. I will check real quick and get back. If you are going to swap a camshaft make it worth your while. Get those junk L98 heads off and find something better that doesn't break the budget.

1987 TPI 350 camshaft specs:
202/207 .404/.415

1989 TPI 305 M5 camshaft specs:
207/213 .415/.430

1993 LT1 camshaft specs:
205/207 .447/.459

*edit, the 305 cam has more duration but less lift.
__________________
'94 Z28
414 cube LT1, AFR 227's, single plane
10.15 at 133.65, n/a pump gas, street car
'14 1LE, 12.991 at 109.40 bone-stock
joelster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 08:42 PM   #7
TECH Regular
1999 Pontiac Grand Prix
My Garage
 
BlackBird87's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 6
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Elmwood Park
Posts: 419
Default

You should be looking into A. porting the plenum and slp runners. Or B. using an lt1 manifold. The stock intake is a joke
__________________

1994 Formula

Madz28 Tune, K&N Cai, 1.6 Rr's, Custom Cam, Hooker LT'S, 3in Catback, 4.10, and Nittos
BlackBird87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 10:17 PM   #8
Teching In
Garage is empty, add now
 
IROCZTPI's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: STL area.
Posts: 21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBird87 View Post
You should be looking into A. porting the plenum and slp runners. Or B. using an lt1 manifold. The stock intake is a joke
I already have a great set of AS&M intake runners over the old stock ones & the intake manifold I'm buying is the Holley Stealth Ram with new fuel rails and an adjustable fuel pressure regulator.

Once I have the Holley intake I won't need the AS&M runners anymore, how ironic that'll be.
IROCZTPI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 10:19 PM   #9
Teching In
Garage is empty, add now
 
IROCZTPI's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: STL area.
Posts: 21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelster View Post
If your IROC is an original 350 IROC then it was 1987 and up. All '87+ TPI motors were roller cammed so yes the cam in an LT1 will bolt right up. What a collosal waste of time though. A stock LT1 cam is by no means a performance camshaft. Actually iirc the 1989 305 TPI IROC cam has more lift and duration than an LT1 cam. I will check real quick and get back. If you are going to swap a camshaft make it worth your while. Get those junk L98 heads off and find something better that doesn't break the budget.

1987 TPI 350 camshaft specs:
202/207 .404/.415

1989 TPI 305 M5 camshaft specs:
207/213 .415/.430

1993 LT1 camshaft specs:
205/207 .447/.459

*edit, the 305 cam has more duration but less lift.
I hear you. There's an aftermarket cam in my car now, with the valve springs and other internal work done but I don't know the brand. I just want to do my OWN cam swap and other internal swapping and not keep the other stuff the former owner(s) did. I'm the 5th owner but I intend on being the last.

If the LT1 isn't worth the hassle which I was afraid it wouldn't be then I'll look for something else. I won't put one in until I have the Holley ram intake installed with the adjustable FPR and fuel rails installed 1st. Then I'd have the other stuff done and right now I'm looking, researching & preparing for the buy.
IROCZTPI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 11:15 PM   #10
TECH Regular
1999 Pontiac Grand Prix
My Garage
 
BlackBird87's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 6
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Elmwood Park
Posts: 419
Default

I heard very good things about the stealth ram not cheap tho. I know where youre coming from wanting to do your own mods and all but for all you know you might have a really good cam it there now. I would install the new intake and see what it feels like then
__________________

1994 Formula

Madz28 Tune, K&N Cai, 1.6 Rr's, Custom Cam, Hooker LT'S, 3in Catback, 4.10, and Nittos
BlackBird87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 11:24 PM   #11
Teching In
Garage is empty, add now
 
IROCZTPI's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: STL area.
Posts: 21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBird87 View Post
I heard very good things about the stealth ram not cheap tho. I know where youre coming from wanting to do your own mods and all but for all you know you might have a really good cam it there now. I would install the new intake and see what it feels like then
You're right. Want to know the funny thing regarding the price on this Stealth Ram Intake?

On one website it's $450+ dollars not including the tax and shipping fee.

On the Holley website itself the Stealth Ram is only $354 + tax but shipping is free.

So that's kind of weird that there is a $100+ price difference from the actual vendor and a F-Body website that sells the same product. One of the good things I've heard alot about the Holley Ram Intake is that you'll gain a good 40-60 horsepower to the wheels, depending on the kind of car you have and all. That's not surprising either. I can't wait to get rid of my TPI intake manifold and fuel rails.
IROCZTPI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 11:31 PM   #12
TECH Regular
1999 Pontiac Grand Prix
My Garage
 
BlackBird87's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 6
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Elmwood Park
Posts: 419
Default

Thats why is always pays to shop around. I think 40-60 at the wheels at the wheels is a lil high but its going to be a night and day difference at 4k and up. Thats right where my tpi would stop pulling hard. Not to mention the pain in the *** it is to put off the runners and get to the injectors
__________________

1994 Formula

Madz28 Tune, K&N Cai, 1.6 Rr's, Custom Cam, Hooker LT'S, 3in Catback, 4.10, and Nittos
BlackBird87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 11:37 PM   #13
TECH Fanatic
1985 Chevrolet Corvette
 
3.8redbird's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 2
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Corpus Christi Texas
Posts: 1,463
Default

the HSR is the best money I have spent on my car. Mine is a fully customized unit from a third party (PM for details). If you look at my numbers my setup works pretty well.

If you plan on owning the car for a long time do it right the first time. If I could go back AFR 195 heads would be sitting on it instead of the Dart iron eagles.

As for tuning you will need it for the intake aswell. I suggest doing all the mods at once. My cam would be good in a 350. Its on the small side for a 383
__________________
1985 Vette
1970 Elky
3.8redbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 11:46 PM   #14
Teching In
Garage is empty, add now
 
IROCZTPI's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: STL area.
Posts: 21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.8redbird View Post
the HSR is the best money I have spent on my car. Mine is a fully customized unit from a third party (PM for details). If you look at my numbers my setup works pretty well.

If you plan on owning the car for a long time do it right the first time. If I could go back AFR 195 heads would be sitting on it instead of the Dart iron eagles.

As for tuning you will need it for the intake aswell. I suggest doing all the mods at once. My cam would be good in a 350. Its on the small side for a 383
Correct. Well, I've gotta figure out what heads to get to go with the HSR Intake because I won't have runners anymore & I want to replace ALL of my internal stuff at the same time (but I'm buying everything at different times since I don't have the money all at once).
IROCZTPI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 11:49 PM   #15
Teching In
Garage is empty, add now
 
IROCZTPI's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: STL area.
Posts: 21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBird87 View Post
Thats why is always pays to shop around. I think 40-60 at the wheels at the wheels is a lil high but its going to be a night and day difference at 4k and up. Thats right where my tpi would stop pulling hard. Not to mention the pain in the *** it is to put off the runners and get to the injectors
The Holley website quotes it (or is it the other F-Body site) that the HSR Intake provides anywhere from 30-60 rwhp. Not 40-60. My bad. My IROC stock would fall on it's face at around 4,200 RPM. It doesn't lose breath until around 5,200-5,500 RPM.

I've read some post's on other sites regarding the intake and it's gotten alot of praise for being a good set-up on the L98 with better upper-end power too. I might lose a little bit at the bottom but the overall powerband is better than the TPI intake even with my mild cam.
IROCZTPI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 11:52 PM   #16
TECH Regular
1999 Pontiac Grand Prix
My Garage
 
BlackBird87's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 6
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Elmwood Park
Posts: 419
Default

youre on the right track do your research and youll be pleased with the results, check out thirdgen.org if you already haven't
__________________

1994 Formula

Madz28 Tune, K&N Cai, 1.6 Rr's, Custom Cam, Hooker LT'S, 3in Catback, 4.10, and Nittos
BlackBird87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 12:00 AM   #17
Teching In
Garage is empty, add now
 
IROCZTPI's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: STL area.
Posts: 21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBird87 View Post
youre on the right track do your research and youll be pleased with the results, check out thirdgen.org if you already haven't
Oh, I've been a member on that site for over a year now, but I'm sort of tired of that site because nobody ever answers a question that I rarely ask.

But I found a set of Chevy Vortec 906 heads that are COMPLETE with everything and I am trying to figure out if those would work on my car. I'm still looking into it but a guy is trying to sell these that were in a 1500 Chevy 350 truck for $200.
IROCZTPI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 12:05 AM   #18
TECH Regular
1999 Pontiac Grand Prix
My Garage
 
BlackBird87's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 6
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Elmwood Park
Posts: 419
Default

It is a lil hit or miss on there. I cant remember if they worked or not. i know they bolt up to the block but i dont know about the intake
__________________

1994 Formula

Madz28 Tune, K&N Cai, 1.6 Rr's, Custom Cam, Hooker LT'S, 3in Catback, 4.10, and Nittos
BlackBird87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 12:11 AM   #19
Teching In
Garage is empty, add now
 
IROCZTPI's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: STL area.
Posts: 21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBird87 View Post
It is a lil hit or miss on there. I cant remember if they worked or not. i know they bolt up to the block but i dont know about the intake
I've been reading arguments between car guys regarding the 062 and 906 Vortec heads and what flows better. I think I'm going to keep looking.
IROCZTPI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 01:27 AM   #20
TECH Fanatic
1985 Chevrolet Corvette
 
3.8redbird's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 2
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Corpus Christi Texas
Posts: 1,463
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IROCZTPI View Post
The Holley website quotes it (or is it the other F-Body site) that the HSR Intake provides anywhere from 30-60 rwhp. Not 40-60. My bad. My IROC stock would fall on it's face at around 4,200 RPM. It doesn't lose breath until around 5,200-5,500 RPM.
They flow to 62-6500rpm on a 350. I have my rev limiter set at 5200rpm and it wants to pull like crazy. Mine being a bigger engine I would hope for 58-6000rpm peak.

Once I blow my engine I will build one to spin to 6500+ and see what the intake really can do. But mine is fully ported except port matching to heads since I plan on AFRs down the road
__________________
1985 Vette
1970 Elky
3.8redbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 01:27 AM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird




Paid Advertisement
Reply

Tags
049, 1989, 305, 350, cam, cammed, car, craigslist, good, heads, lifters, lt1, sbc, specs, stock, tpi


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertising - Terms of Service - Privacy Statement - JOBS
Emails & Contact Details