LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

MSD 6AL install and opinions

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 01:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MSD 6AL install and opinions

hey guys, so I already have a brand new MSD 6AL that i have had sitting around for a year or so and i finally got an MSD coil and the adapter harness to hook up the box. I'm planning to install them tonight, but i wanted to see what those of you that have them think of them and where you mounted the box. Also if i understand it correctly it basically replaces the stock ignition module correct? Sorry if that's a newb question, i have no trouble building an engine and making it run but this is my first MSD ignition. thanks for any input.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

No, it does not replace anything. It is an add-on. Where you find room for it depends on your engine compartment. A lot of people mount them above and to the rear of the fuse panel.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:24 PM
Teching In

oh okay, thanks for clearing that up for me shbox. i wasn't sure as i said i've never run an MSD box before, only a coil and hei module on my big block but thats obviously entirely different. so what are some opinions from people that run them, do you notice the run differently at all?
Old 07-12-2010, 02:49 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BadA95Z28
oh okay, thanks for clearing that up for me shbox. i wasn't sure as i said i've never run an MSD box before, only a coil and hei module on my big block but thats obviously entirely different. so what are some opinions from people that run them, do you notice the run differently at all?
I run a 6A and never really noticed a difference.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

^^^ same here. been on the car for 14 years now (6A).

FWIW on a dyno day I ran with it disconnected than connected. spliting hairs the dyno graph looked "smoother" in the upper RPM....but only VERY slightly.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i know the msd ignitions made a big difference on the old hei systems, enough where you could use bigger jets, and you could tell a difference in idle quality, it was much smoother. i do know msd ignitions will knock you against the wall if you get lit up by one them suckers are hot, alot of spark energy.

i dont think they make near as much difference on the fuel injection systems, i believe the newer ignition systems are alot hotter than the older systems were..

i think the msd kind of makes up the difference between the new and old systems..
Old 07-12-2010, 04:23 PM
Teching In

alright thanks for the input guys, since i already have the box lying around and i already got the MSD coil and adapter harness i will throw it on anyways but i can understand what you mean, ignition systems have come a long way since points or even a large cap hei.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:28 PM
LT1
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's where i mounted my MSD 6AL, im running a 6,100rpm chip

Quick Reply: MSD 6AL install and opinions