LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Smart Shoppers

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 07:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smart Shoppers

So, this thread isn't really about me, but my sisters boyfriend recently bought a 97 ws6. He went to Smart Shoppers and basically told them he wanted it to be louder and faster. He wouldn't listen to me, but the car already has an unknown exhaust on it, but they told him to get BBK shorties and a flowmaster 40 series exhaust and a cold air intake. He told them he wanted an 80 series flowmaster and that's what he got. They ended up sending him the shorties and a y-pipe and the other parts he ordered. I don't know hardly anything about LT1's, but is this really going to help at all?
Old 07-25-2010, 08:16 PM
LT1
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It will help a little bit. Flowmaster exhaust is one of the most restrictive mufflers and is not the best choice if you want to go fast.

If he wants to go fast, he should post up theres a lot of good advice in the stickies for newbs. With what you mentioned he would probly gain about 10-18rwhp
In my opinion better to go with mid pipe if you want to keep it smog legal and choose a better muffler or catback.

Whats his plan? smog/emission legal street car with 300+ hp?

Last edited by LT1; 07-25-2010 at 08:28 PM.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well, I figure the two engines are close enough that it would gain relatively the same amount. So, I suggested he return the shorties and get some LT's and an ORY with a cutout flowed into the flowmasters since he's adamant about having them. He plans to supercharge the car later, so he's pretty much wasting money. But as I told him, it's not going to yield the results he's wanting. I've told him multiple times he should get on here and learn some stuff but I don't think he has yet.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:34 PM
LT1
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah the LT and ORY will help more, I would tell him to return the shorties though.

Also recommend rear gears, tune, adj. torque arm, rear LCA and relocate bracket, and subframe connector should be top of the list to have a solid running car.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Trust me, I've already suggested all of the above. He is just gunna throw some parts on it and throw it in storage for x # of years until they're worth a ton. We'll see what happens.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:34 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DukesOfHazard
Trust me, I've already suggested all of the above. He is just gunna throw some parts on it and throw it in storage for x # of years until they're worth a ton. We'll see what happens.
What??!! Its better to leave it stock if your going to do that. I dont understand this reasoning at all.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

He's keeping all the stock parts and will drive the car for awhile. Not sure how long it'll be before he puts it into storage. I love my Z too much to do anything like that lol. Not to mention it's my DD.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What kind of TA?

If its just a run of the mill LT1, its not going to be worth anything.

Just drive the **** out of it.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

As far as I know its just a regular 97 ws6. I think he's planning on letting it sit for literally like 40 years.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:36 PM
TECH Resident

One day with the right circumstances and depending on the quality of the car it will be worth something. If it has 50K< miles on it and not pristine hes better off modding it and having some fun with it.

Case in point 2nd gens are just now starting to climb the scale of worth with 3rd gens trailing very slowly behind them. So it will have to be another 30+ years for it to start even remotely being worth something. The one thing he has going for him is it being a WS6.

Quick Reply: Smart Shoppers