LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Line lock, two step ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 12:59 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Line lock, two step ?

I'm wondering just how all the 6 speed guys are setting up the line lock, and two step? I have my SLP line lock setup on a switch in my emblem pros plate, but the real question is how do I setup the two step. It seems that some will use the clutch to engage and dis-engage the two step. Others will use a button that you hold in your left hand with the steering wheel, and etc. What I'm looking for is a silky smooth way to do all of this without having to flail around like a wildman in that first 60ft pressing buttons and so on. Ultimately I would like to set the line lock and do the burnout, turn line lock off roll up to the line, set the two step (5200 rpm's), floor it, and be on the bottle (150 wet) right out of the hole (and have the two step disengage without having to try and press a button in the middle of all of that). Is it reasonable to think all of these things can be accomplished?

I know I'm looking for a lot of opinions and input, but I don't know the best way to set all of this up. I'm hoping you guys can shorten my learning curve
Old 08-02-2010, 01:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can you wire the 2 step up to your speed sensor with a toggle switch to turn it on. so when you turn it on it will only be working if the car is not moving but as soon as you launch it will shut off without you having to press anything.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

What I did was run 12 volts into a momentary switch on a hurst t handle. From there I spliced the power output and placed 2 rocker switches into an ashtray mounted switch panel. I then ran the iwires for the line lock and 2 step triggers that way you could "arm" one or both of the devices with a rocker switch while utilizing the same momentary switch. If you really wanted to streamline that set up you could just use a three position switch that way you could roll through the box flip the switch up for line lock burnout then just flip the switch back and stage.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:20 PM
11 Second Club

I have a momentary switch on the shifter handle for the 2step and the LL is on a toggle on my Nitrous Outlet ashtray panel. Works pretty good IMO and both are wired seperate.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:23 PM
12 Second Club

1toofastLT1,
Interesting, I'm not sure if I can use the speed sensor in the manner you state, but it is an interesting idea.

JB_97ws6TA,
I really like the idea of using a 3 position (DPDT, I assume?) switch and flip it forward for the line lock (do burnout as you suggested), and then flip it to the back position for the two step. The only thing I'm not sure about is how the two step will disengage automatically when I launch or do I have to put the switch back in the middle position? I don't really want to have to try and do that in the middle of a run if possible. I'm wondering if this method would be best served by tapping into the clutch position sensor when the clutch reaches the top it would disengage the two step and then be out of the way for the rest of the run. I would then just put the switch back in the middle position on the return lane.

AC hotrod,
Thanks, I'm looking at your setup also.

Good stuff so far, keep it coming.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

the way I wired it I still use a momentary switch and would still use the momentary switch with the three position toggle but it is more or less to select which device will be operated BY the momentary switch on the shifter. So flip it forward, hold the button, burn out, flip it back, stage,hold the button, launch. I too toyed around with the idea of using the 2 step off of the clutch anticipation switch. It would still engage during shifts if you flat foot it but that is not necessarily a bad thing, I can't even remember now why I decided not to go that route but I am sure I had a good reason because I was pretty set on wiring it up the way you have described but I would still install a toggle switch so you can turn off the clutch activated 2 step
Old 08-02-2010, 04:05 PM
12 Second Club

Hmm, now you have me thinking
Old 08-02-2010, 07:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just got done wiring my 2 step and line lock. I wired the line lock with a master switch and then a momentary switch on the Hurst shift ****.
The 2 step is wired with a master switch, then a momentary switch mounted so it's on only in first gear, then through the clutch factory clutch switch. I added a hidden DPDT switch under the dash so I can flip it one way for the 2 step and the other way the factory clutch in to start still works.
I added the last switch after my girlfriend accidentally started the car with it in gear and no foot on the clutch, luckily it was in reverse and the garage door was open.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:59 PM
12 Second Club

Oh sh*t, note to self. Girlfriend does not drive fast car

Quick Reply: Line lock, two step ?